Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pain of ocular rosacea, please help

Default The pain of ocular rosacea, please help

It's one thing to deal with facial rosacea, but I can't tolerate the ocular roscaea anymore. It's just so painful and my eyes are so red. I would do anything to live my life with white, comfortable eyes that aren't dry and don't burn. I've tried everything there is - you name it. Is there any hope that people can give me about future treatments or anything at all to help me. Please, I am beside myself. -Chris

I feel for you man. I don't have any information that can help you and I don't know of any future treatments for the eyes. I will pray for you and hope that you do find the relief you need.

When I get allergies my eyes get very dry, red, burn and hurt. I only have to live with it for 2 weeks a year though so I could not imagine having to deal with it everyday.
    28 year old male from the United States in Minnesota. My self treatment of Rosacea is 10 grams vitamin C, 16 glasses of water, and moisturize with Eucerin everyday.

Default hope on the horizon

Hey yankees. I think that oracea should have a very big impact on your ocular rosacea. It has no antibiotic activity just a stronger anti-inflamatory formulation and you can take the pill once a day for life, but check with your doctor. It should hit the market and be on sale with a prescription by august or sooner. good luck

Yankee,
    My advice is for you to make and appointment with an opthalmologist, and get a free sample of Elestat from him. Is the ONLY thing that has ever helped my occular sxs. Ever.
    Would not surprise me if your eyes cleared in 2 days.
    Try it. Really.
    Perry

Flyboy - Thanks - I hope it does come out by august...do you really think it will though? I thought it was originally december teh earliest for oracea? O man...I would be so lucky if it came out by or before august. Thanks man.

Perry - I remember being prescribed that last year and it did help calm things down..I will call and ask for it. Is it also good to use because allergy season is starting? My eyes are always worse when the pollen outside increases. Thanks I appreciate it.

Default A GOOD ESTIMATE

Yankees. I think this is a good estimate. It should be fda approved in may. Once that happens the company wants to put it on the market as soon as possible so they can make their money. I think it could very well be sooner than aug. I would keep a look out and when it is fda approved your doctor can call a sales rep and get some samples for you to use even before the drug has launched its marketing. This could get it to you sooner. good luck

instead of waiting for a pharmaceutical fix you could take matters into your own hands and reconsider your diet.

I had rosacea for many years, including mild ocular rosacea. Then last year the eye troubles got really severe. After 4 unsuccessful visits to an opthamologist, she finally realized that irreversible damage would be done to the cornea, and sent me to the emergency opthamology department of the public hospital, where I got a course of steroid drops. The doctor there took one look at my red cheeks and the first thing he said was 'do you have lupus?' But he concluded that my eye and skin problems were rosacea (dermatologists have never agreed on what to call it - acne, dermatitis, rosacea...), and the potentially serious nature of ocular rosacea was what made me actually face this disease, not hide from it like I always had in the past.

To make a long story short (you can find more details in the 'reduce acidity = reduce rosacea' thread), I have found that an alkalizing diet works wonders for me. Neither facial nor ocular rosacea have come back since I started making deliberate food choices. No medication necessary. And I will live a far healthier life because of it in many other respects also. I highly reccommend you try it.

If you're expecting the next 'wonder drug' is on the market in August, why not make a point of trying an alkalizing diet until then? You have nothing to lose (except rosacea, heart disease, cancer, diabetes....)

Good luck
    Joanne

10.5 months alkalizing diet, 10 months rosacea free

instead of waiting for a pharmaceutical fix you could take matters into your own hands and reconsider your diet.

I had rosacea for many years, including mild ocular rosacea. Then last year the eye troubles got really severe. After 4 unsuccessful visits to an opthamologist, she finally realized that irreversible damage would be done to the cornea, and sent me to the emergency opthamology department of the public hospital, where I got a course of steroid drops. The doctor there took one look at my red cheeks and the first thing he said was 'do you have lupus?' But he concluded that my eye and skin problems were rosacea (dermatologists have never agreed on what to call it - acne, dermatitis, rosacea...), and the potentially serious nature of ocular rosacea was what made me actually face this disease, not hide from it like I always had in the past.

To make a long story short (you can find more details in the 'reduce acidity = reduce rosacea' thread), I have found that an alkalizing diet works wonders for me. Neither facial nor ocular rosacea have come back since I started making deliberate food choices. No medication necessary. And I will live a far healthier life because of it in many other respects also. I highly reccommend you try it.

If you're expecting the next 'wonder drug' is on the market in August, why not make a point of trying an alkalizing diet until then? You have nothing to lose (except rosacea, heart disease, cancer, diabetes....)

Good luck
    Joanne

10.5 months alkalizing diet, 10 months rosacea free

Hey Joanne ..thanks so much for your advice. I understand if you don't have the time to do this, but is there any way you can make a a detailed post or PM me to tell me your exact diet that you used? This ocular rosacea has killed me and I'll do anything to get rid of it...and honestly.. if my problem is because of all the oils and thick secretions that form on the eye and the blepharitis, do you really think a low acid diet will help me? Thanks so much, I appreciate your time more than you know. -Chris

Default severe ocular rosacea

I have had severe ocular rosacea for years. Nothing has worked - tried every drop and compress, plugs, restasis, doxycyline, etc. About 10 months ago I went to a derm for what I thought was unrelated problem -- hormonal acne. He told me I had overactive sebaceous glands (I'm in my forties and female) and since nothing has worked for my facial acne either, he suggested spironolactone. (It is an antiandrogen) The amazing thing is that not only is my skin better, my eyes feel 95% better! All this time I thought I didn't have adequate oily layer of tear film, turns out maybe it was the other way around. I'm not sure as none of the docs seem to understand why this works exactly. I can't believe I can finally go outside and not be thinking about how my eyes are killing me. Maybe others should give it a try.
    Gerri