Thread: Details about P&Ps

Default Details about P&Ps

sorry for asking questions that have probably been asked before but i am still struggling with this issue, especially as all the derms i keep seeing give me different answers (eczema vs seb derm vs rosacea pimples). So i don't know how to treat the pimples on my face. Metro, skinoren...nothing helps...

- can rosacea pimples be isolated incredibly itchy hive like pustules that ooze liquid when popped/pierced?
    - related to the above, do rosacea pimples come in group/patches or can you get one here and another one there?
    - are they always related to redness/flushing or can you get them in areas where you don't have redness or where you don't flush?

thanks

Mine seem to be more like infections than pimples. I say that because it seems that I'll get one . . . then as my skin swells and becomes reddened, it seems to affect the nearby pores that enlarge and become equally infected and it seems to spread in that fashion. For me anyway. So I'll start off with a smallish patch of spots - and soon enough they are covering an entire region of my face

Mine do get itchy and they DO ooze so much so that I've considered it is closer to eczema perhaps? All I know is any drying topical makes things all that much worse in every regard.

Best to you!

Default Re: Details about P&Ps

I've always been a bit confused as to what papules, pustules and pimples are since I have read different descriptions. I use the 'squeezability factor' to determine what crops up on my face.

I consider a papule to be a hard lump under the skin. There's no way you can squeeze anything out of them. They hang around for ages and sometimes crop up in the same spot (usually just when you think it has gone away for good).

A pustule is kind of like that but is full of clear liquid and as the surrounding area starts to swell and grow it also has white pus as well. They are more flatten out. These ones can be squeezed but it's not like you can 'pop' the white stuff out or anything. It's more like oozing. They also take ages to clear up.

Pimples to me can be popped and (sorry this is gross) the white stuff shoots at the mirror - splat! LOL These ones go away faster.

I tend to get them in isolation and sometimes if the area is swollen enough I can get two or ocassionally three next to each other, which makes the whole area really sore. Like Gina has said, it's more like an infection as it grows. Ouch!

Since I've been on Doxy, I don't get the itching so much. I am starting to think the Doxy is wearing off a bit now, because my face seems to be going backwards at the moment, hence my graphic detail to these lovely spots!

What I have noticed is that when my face flushes, along with the burning sensation, it almost guarantees that I am going to get p's crop up on my face! Blah!

What to do about them, well I don't know. As much as I swore I would never do it, I got myself some Retin-A Cream and use the tiniest amount just directly on top of the p's. Oh, something that has been talked about a lot in the RSG is using Nasalcrom (Cromolyn Sodium). Yes, it's a nasal spray, sprayed onto a cotton ball and dabbed onto the p's. Quite a few people have raved about how good it is for p's. I haven't tried it yet though - I'm still in denial that my face is getting worse again!!!

I've tried Rozex Gel. In the beginning it seemed to work well but after a while it stoped working. I may go back and try that one again (since I have two tubes here) and be strict with the application instead of a bit hap hazard. I have also tried Skinoren and liked that one. Just got a new tube not long ago but have been experimenting with natural oils of late. It all takes so long to try these things out, well, to give them a good run to see what effect it will have on the skin. I'm trying to be methodical.

As to where they crop up, well for me, it's on the central area of my forehead, under the eyebrows, nose, on the insides of my cheeks, chin, under my chin, on the front of my neck and very occasionally on the edge of my lips. I don't think my neck flushes but all of my face does. I don't get them where my skin is dry, like the temple areas and between the lower part of the cheeks and jaw line. It's hard to describe sorry, so I hope this makes sense.

Oh, also there are the 'bleeders', they just won't stop bleeding. A lovely mix of ooze - NOT! This came up in another thread recently:

http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=3322

Not sure if any of this helps and sorry for the graphic explanations! AKK!

Jen
    Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

thank you both!
    sounds like we all could use some help with our P&Ps...i still don't really know what i have though...it's maddening...mine rarely come in patches...they just appear in all different places and itch like mad...
    btw, i am using Nasalcrom...can't tell yet if it is really effective...some days it seems to help them disappear more quickly, but some others, it seems to be making them worse...who knows...