Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Question please, Dr. Crouch

Default Re: Thin Skin

Quote Originally Posted by Strive
    Dr. Crouch,

Is there any objective measurement to determine thin skin caused by steroid overuse, or it is just a matter of assuming two and two make four, when told that the patient used steroids for a long period of time?

Thank you,

Strive
    There isnt any easy measure - no meter for example - you have to go by history initially but the real test is examining the skin - steroid damaged skin has a reasonably distinctive often "translucent" look and blood vessels can be more prominent. I think the best comparison is that it can look like skin many decades older and thinner.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Peter

This user has been banned from this forum

Quote Originally Posted by peter.crouch
    Dr. Crouch,

Is there any objective measurement to determine thin skin caused by steroid overuse, or it is just a matter of assuming two and two make four, when told that the patient used steroids for a long period of time?

Thank you,

Strive
    There isnt any easy measure - no meter for example - you have to go by history initially but the real test is examining the skin - steroid damaged skin has a reasonably distinctive often "translucent" look and blood vessels can be more prominent. I think the best comparison is that it can look like skin many decades older and thinner.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Peter
    Peter,
    Thanks again for your comments.

How does one test whether they have thin skin?

All the best,
    Trey

This user has been banned from this forum

Quote Originally Posted by clsykes00
    Dr. Crouch,

Thank you,

Strive

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Peter
    Peter,

How does one test whether they have thin skin (more of a binary test [thin skin or not] vs. a test of the degree of thin skin)?

All the best,
    Trey

Dr. Crouch,

Thank you,

Strive

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Peter
    Peter,

How does one test whether they have thin skin (more of a binary test [thin skin or not] vs. a test of the degree of thin skin)?

All the best,
    Trey
    Afraid its just a matter of experience and how it looks and handles.

Kind regards,

Peter

Hi Dr. Crouch,

Has anyone solved the riddle as to why some people have a bad reaction to laser and causing the problem to worsen? Someone mentioned that photosensitivity may be the problem but is that just a guess? Also have you noticed any similarities in people who don't respond well? Thank you.

Good question, and one to which I would like to know the answer. I suspect that there is no one black letter answer, but issues such as the agreesiveness of the treatments; the type of laser used; the time inbetween treatments; and the skill of the practitioner all play a role. You hear stories of people have great sucess; others have no sucess and either getting worse or staying the same; or, as in my case, a mix of all -- some treatments which were helpful, but temporal; some that were not helpful, but did not make matters worse; some that were very helpful with lasting results (should of stopped there); and those that worsened the rosacea. Go figure?

It does seem to me, however, that if a treatment makes you worse, then that means the treatment was too aggressive. Just my speculation.

I'm starting to believe that some folks probably need more then the standard 4-6 weeks inbetween treatments.

But I would love to hear Dr. Couch weigh in on this issue.