Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beta Blockers

Default Beta Blockers

I have been using Propranolol for about a year now worked up to 30mg which is hardly anything but then had to cut back to 10mg in the evening only as making my hands and feet cold and causing them change colour like purple and cause chilbans. Has anyone else had this problem. From Dr Nase's book he mentions Nadolo has anyone tried this and how did it work for you?

Thanks Sarah

I'm not sure about propanolol, or nadolol (tried it, gave me wild mood swings and depression), but clonidine--an anti-hypertensive, not a beta-blocker--will cause my hands to get red/purple. That's because I have Raynaud's syndrome, and it's not uncommon for people with rosacea to have Raynaud's, or Sebhorric dermatitis, too.

Have you been diagnosed with Chilblains?
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Default Beta blockers

Yeah i was told i had that too Raynauds, my chilbans have gone now as i cut down from 30mg to 10mg but i do think it helps and was hoping maybe by taking Nadolol it help more and mean i can take more than 10mg as it being just a different type of beta blocker. I do think it helps me but just affects my hands and feet bad.

I have tried clonidine really didnt agree with me . I seem to have senstive to alot of tablets, Have you ever tried Moxondine or has anyone else? As i have heard that works similar to Clonidine?

Nadolol is basically the same as propranolol, in that it's a non-selective beta blocker.

The only differences are [1] the fact that it's not metabolized by the liver, and [2] it has a really long half-life.

Peripheral vascular insufficiency is included in the side-effect profile.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Default Steve95301

Steve have you tried Nadolol? I just wondor if it would have the same side effects on my hands and feet as in being cold and the colour Propronol causes

Default Re: Steve95301

Quote Originally Posted by sarah
    Steve have you tried Nadolol? I just wondor if it would have the same side effects on my hands and feet as in being cold and the colour Propronol causes
    I haven't tried nadolol, but I think the side effects are basically the same as propranolol.

You might try atenolol... here is a list of the most common side-effects.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

i have tried atenolol it really didnt suit me, might have to see what my Dr thinks

Thanks Sarah

Is it ok to use meds like Inderal even if you have Raynauds or show symptoms of Raynuds or can it be dangerous?

I think it depends on the severity of the Raynaud's. It's not good for it, but, if you have rosacea and Raynaud's, it's pretty hard to treat both simulatneously. Rosacea has always been more of a problem for me, so I've treated that without much of a thought about the Raynaud's. Now that my rosacea is getting better, I can/need to start paying attention to my Raynaud's, though.
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

There are some studies done and some suggestions that beta-blockers, especially propranolol, might increase the risk of or excisting depression.

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/20...hrivastava.htm

I've been on propranolol for about 5 months and also on an antidepressant for my depression, and they both work well, but to be on the safe side my pharmacist adviced me lately to switch propranolol for atenolol, because it doesn't alter some barriers and isn't solutable to fat or something...(sorry, am not too knowledged in this field).
    Anyway, thought I'd better share it.

Natalja