View Poll Results: Have You Ever Gotten A Yeast Infection From Taking An Antibiotic?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 63.64%
  • No

4 36.36%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Antibiotics For Me!

Default No Antibiotics For Me!

Here's a personal question that I pose for the female members of this board (which I myself don't mind discussing). Why don't I see more females on here not being able to take antibiotics because of getting yeast infections as a side effect? I HAD to take an antibiotic for my face because I got Cellulitis (staph infection of the skin). After a week my face was beautiful (one color) but unfortunately I can't be on any treatment for longer than a week without getting one of the WORST yeast infections of my life. I had one doctor put me on a sulfur-type antiobiotic so it would be less likely to cause my problem but it didn't clear up my face! How frustrating to know that something works but causes a most uncomfortable/inconvenient problem in another part of your body!?!?!

Any suggestions/stories??
    :evil:

On high doses it's easy to get yeast infections but if you use a low dose...ie 20 mg doxy 2x/day then it isn't killing all the bacteria (incl the good) but is more for inflammation. However if you have p&p's too then you'll probably have to also use a topical "disinfectant" to kill the acne bacteria not being killed by the low dose doxy. FYI --- low dose doxy or "SD Doxycycline" seems to be well tolerated for longterm use.
    Bactrim (phasing out), Spironolactone 1x/day, Retin-a cream .05% in the p.m., Neutrogena Cleanser for Sensitive Skin, avoid dairy and usual Rosacea triggers.

Years ago I went to a doctor that also gave me Nystatin pills to take with my antibiotics so that I wouldn't get a yeast infection. It works!

So ask for it the next time you have to take antibiotics if you are prone to getting yeast infections.

I was just prescribed Tetracycline and im just too nervous to take it as i have chronic yeast as it is (basiclaly if i dont take my acidophilus id have a nonstop yeast infection). I havent even taken antibiotics for years. So im freaking out... but im also freaking out about my face.

It totally sucks.

Like Bonnie I tell any Dr that wants to write me a prescription for an antibiotic that he must also write me a prescription for Nystatin.

It works for that side effect anyway -

what is nystatin? Is it similiar to diflucan? I have chronic yeast and my last major infection needed 3 diflucan pills to sort it out.

Im terrified of these darn antibiotics (but i think its the only thing that will really help me!! arggh.

nystatin is an older antifungal. Milder than diflucan. You take it along with the antibiotic to prevent a fungal/yeast infection from getting started in the first place, rather than treat one that is already ongoing.

I started taking 100mg/twice a day of Doxycycline (I hate taking antibiotics!). The dreaded Thrush (yeast infection) happened down below and on my tongue! Eww! My GP said to take Lactobacillus. This is easy to find in Acidophilus tablets and much cheaper than the heavily advertised brands. Acidophilus is also good for digestion. I also use a cream down under and a gel on my tongue. I'm now down to 100mg a day of Doxy and will reduce the dosage over time. This is something my Derm recommened...tapering the dosage down over time, rather than going 'cold turkey'. I hope to get the dosage low enough to avoid the negative antibiotic side effects and just keep the anti-inflammatory effect happening.

Fingers crossed!
    Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

I wonder if the Acidophilus tablets or Nystatin would help with seb derm?
    Do any of you that take one of these have seb derm?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie
    I wonder if the Acidophilus tablets or Nystatin would help with seb derm?
    Do any of you that take one of these have seb derm?
    Hi Bonnie

I thought I had Seb Derm too but my Derm said I didn't. The reason I take Acidophilus tablets is firstly because my Naturopath/Iradologist said that I have a digestive problem (when she looked into my eyes) and secondly for trying to prevent the yeast infections that I get from taking antibiotics.

I am not sure that anti-yeast medications will improve Seb Derm or Rosacea. Very interesting. Going to add that one to my list of 'possibles' and do more reading on it.
    Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.