Thread: SO, ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT RED LIGHT THERAPY (LLLT)?

Default SO, ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT RED LIGHT THERAPY (LLLT)?

Hi, guys! Well, look what my dumb ass did! When I do my red light LED sessions I put my eye protection goggles on, sit down in an old comfy chair, and pull my adjustable table up to the chair and try to do some breathing exercises for the 15-20 minutes or so that it takes to do each session (twice a day).

I've had a cold the past few days, and I slept only around 4 hours last night, as I'm trying to reset my sleeping schedule. So I was trying to stay up as long as I could until I fell asleep last night. So, I was feeliing tired and was about to go to bed. I put some chicken breasts on the stove to boil with a mix of soy sauce and water--I was going to use them for a protein load for my thermal in-office Gemini treatment on Monday (a heavy protein load [100-150g straight protein] before laser treatments tends to boost your metabolism and makes me much more prone to flushing).

Turns out as I was doing some breathing/meditation while sitting in front of my LED array, I managed to fall asleep. :O

I woke up to the smell of something burning--4 hous later--at 5am.

As I type this, there is still the horrible smell of charred chicken in the air. Here are some pictures:

That's what's left of my chicken and my pot and the big nasty mess that I still have to clean up on my stove.

This is the array I was sitting in front of for 4 hours:

The only side effect that I noticed after a 4-hour session in front of this array was the nosepiece/rubberband indentation on the bridge of my nose. Otherwise, my skin was very pale. It was like an extended skin-calming session.

So, if you're hesitating on trying red light for fear it will increase your flushing, consider this: I just spent 4 hours in front of 882 "superbright" red LEDs that produce light at 660nm. The commercial acnelamp model has 72 red LEDs that, when I compared them to my array, seem a bit pathetic. Consider the commercial acnelamp vs. my v1.0 LED array:

And that v 1.0 LED array shown there had 28 LEDs in each cluster, or 84 in each 3-clustered "tower", for a total of 252 red LEDs.

If you have concerns about LLLT "harming" your skin--as some disingenuous posters have reported here--please consider my (lamentable burning chicken fiasco) experience this evening.

Well, I have a stove and kitchen floor to clean.

All the best, enjoy.

David
    8)
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Oh dear David! What a mess! Have fun cleaning up!

I just started searching the Forum for posts on red light treatment this morning. Tonight someone told me that the reports on red light treatment can't be trusted because one member posted several fake reports that it had harmed him. Is it true that Jonathan Gamache was banned for that? And can you tell me what posts aren't true, or have they all been deleted?

I think the red light treatment has merit but now I am not sure what to believe.

Red

David

I did warn you that if you got too close to that portable microwave that you built, then you would have problems ;)

Nice one. I seem to remember a few weeks ago you got a blasting from someone that you must have had a sense of humour bypass and you should lighten up a bit ?

Red

As I said yesterday there has been - well I will be polite - a distortion of the facts on this treatment from certain quarters, so don't believe everything you read from previous posts on here. I will pass this over to David as he is a Moderator and can probably answer your question better than me.

Don't forget send me your questions on red light and I will put the record straight.

Thanks

Peter

There is a piece on red light therapy (and cold sores) in today's Times, which may be of interest.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...000389,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    David

I did warn you that if you got too close to that portable microwave that you built, then you would have problems ;)

Nice one. I seem to remember a few weeks ago you got a blasting from someone that you must have had a sense of humour bypass and you should lighten up a bit ?

Red

As I said yesterday there has been - well I will be polite - a distortion of the facts on this treatment from certain quarters, so don't believe everything you read from previous posts on here. I will pass this over to David as he is a Moderator and can probably answer your question better than me.

Don't forget send me your questions on red light and I will put the record straight.

Thanks

Peter
    No worries Peter. I will ask questions as they come up. Thank you.

Whenever I launch myself into reading about a new thing to try for Rosacea for myself, I want to read everything there is available. Whether that be here or a Net search engine. My GP would have no idea. My Derm...well...I don't know...I have an appointment next month and will ask too. I like that I can get a more personal feeling for something new here on the Forum but it worries me when someone might put up a post to intentionally be misleading.

The first thread I read this morning contained a post from 12 June 2005:

"I finally looked into the LLT and see benefits of using it in certain cases. In most cases, its use should be adjunctive to other treatments to get the best results.

By itself, it is probably best used to MAINTAIN clearance or rosacea remission.

Please keep us posted on its ability by itself to knock down the rosacea inflammatory response.

They are indeed now using the LLT for treatment of hair loss -- it stimulates healing and reduces fibrosis in the scalp.........if this had an anti-fibrotic effect on the scalp then it should also have that effect on the facial skin and may explain, in part why it may be effective. Aso, another possibility is the wound healing aspect -- this theoretically goes to the epidermis and helps it heal. Epidermal thinning, inflammation and ability to heal is off kilter in rosacea. So, it does start to make sense why LLT may work.

Keep us all informed please and thank you for the post.

Geoffrey"

So, I guess from the political side of things in this Forum, all of us would agree that red light treatment is a good thing!

Red

Quote Originally Posted by GJ
    There is a piece on red light therapy (and cold sores) in today's Times, which may be of interest.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...000389,00.html
    Hi GJ

Good link. Now you've really got me thinking. Hey, in this report the Father said:

“I wouldn’t have thought about cold sores if my daughter hadn’t suffered quite badly. When she was younger she was plagued by them, to the point where her lips became terribly scarred. People always stared, which had a bad effect on her morale, and it was especially hard at that age. She used anti-viral cream but it was little help and the cold sores kept returning.”

How is it that Cold Sores are seen to be such a terrible disfiguring facial problem and Rosacea can't get the same recognition? Maybe we should re-classify Rosacea to be a virus and every time someone makes comments on our red faces we can say "Boo! It's contageous you know!"

I digress! I am looking forward to reading more about red light therapy. I just hope that everything that I read is an honest account!

Red

It does depend on the level of energy delivered, as far as I understand. The abstracts on red light therapy for wound healing were using 0-4 joules/cm2. The red light I'm using now is more in the micro- or milli-joules/cm2. Though brightness/energy output is important, it seems that the specific wavelength used is equally, if not more, important to help our symptoms.
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.