Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DR SYED GREEN TEA CREAM JOURNAL

Default Face wash during green tea treatment

Hi Fly Boy: I spoke with Dr. Syed and he is a exceptionally nice and knowledgable person. He will be speaking about his cream at a Dermatologist convention in March in San Francisco, CA, USA. When you bought the cream, did he advise you of what to wash your face with or did you not talk about that? Thanks, srasmu

He did not ADVISE ME ON THAT? What did he say.

Dr. Syed told me to wash with baby shampoo. I was worried about that because it has sodium laurate, etc., that I have tried to stay away from. I had been using a great cleanser made from chamomile that I got from Vitacost.com. But, I figured if I was going to go for this I had better follow his instructions, so I am washing with baby shampoo. Maybe because I'm a woman and he wanted to make sure I washed with something that would remove make-up. Anyhow, I expected to turn red from the baby shampoo but it doesn't bother my skin so far. This is my third day of using the green tea cream. No negative reactions and I think some of the capillaries are a little less red--at least I hope so. I will be calling him at the end of the week and I'll talk to him some more about why he wanted me to use baby shampoo. Glad to hear of your good luck and I'm thinking positive that it will work for me too.

thank you srasmus.

Default GOOD LUCK

Hey Srasmu, I am curious about the shampoo cleanser so let me know what he says. Please keep your progress on this thread and check in at least every two weeks. I will also post every two weeks to let you know how I am still doing. I had a stressful day at work today and did not even get any warm feeling on my face that I would normally get. This is the best sighn of all. Good luck[/i]

Found this at http://www.medpagetoday.com/Dermatol...Meeting/tb/586

Review
    NEW ORLEANS-According to a small study, patients with papulopustular rosacea respond to treatment with hydrophilic cream containing 2% polyphenone (green tea extract) -- in particular reducing significantly the mean inflammatory lesion count when compared to placebo.

Tanweer Syed, MD, PhD, an associate professor of dermatology at the University of San Francisco, California, who developed the tea extract, said that women randomized to receive the cream had a 70% improvement in rosacea compared to women in the placebo arm. That difference, he said, achieved a statistical significance at the P<.0001 level.

Dr. Syed developed the polyphenone cream and is head of a company that is sponsoring clinical trials -- such as the one he reported on Sunday during a moderated poster presentation. He said that he scrutinized green tea because he noted a lack of rosacea in populations that regularly consumed the tea.

"The one thing we have to realize about this study is that it represents small numbers and there is considerable work that has to be done before this cream is on the market,'' said Guy Webster, MD, moderator of the poster session and vice chairman of dermatology at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia.

"However, these results are tantalizing. These women obviously had rosacea and blushing. There is not much you can do for this. But the faces were looking distinctively red and they are coming out not distinctively red," he said referring to images on the poster.

In the study, Dr. Syed recruited 60 women aged 25 to 50 years. All women had visible signs of papules and pustules, 20 had erythema and 17 had telangiectasia. Half of the women were randomized to active treatment with the 2% polyphenone cream and half to placebo. The women applied the cream to their faces twice a day for four weeks. Cure was defined by the absence of clinical signs of inflammation.

After four weeks, marked beneficial improvement was observed in both groups. But the active cream yielded a statistically significantly higher reduction in mean inflammatory lesion count than placebo measured by a standard global assessment score, Dr. Syed said.

The cream not only has been shown to improve rosacea, but green tea extract also has natural anti-aging and anti-acne properties as well as a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 50, Dr. Syed said. "The green tea has a soothing quality that helps the redness."

The difference in this product versus others on the market, he said, is that the green tea leaves are picked and used within five hours, before turning dark and fermenting.

Dr. Syed concluded that the cream is safe, well tolerated and effective. His company, Syed Skincare Inc., funded 75% of the study.

Primary source: American Academy of Dermatology
    Source reference:
    AAD 2005 meeting, P19: Management of Papulopustular Rosacea with 2% Polyphenone (Green Tea Extract) in a Hydrophylic Cream: A Placebo Controlled Double-Blind Study

MedPage Today Action Points:

- Inform interested patients that the findings from this very small, preliminary, study that has not been peer reviewed are interesting, but that the investigator is the head of the company that funded the research. For this reason, it is important that further studies be performed and published by independent investigators before any recommendations can be made and before any products based on this research become available.

- Caution patients against creating their own green tea formulations since the study used a specific formulation that is far from widespread use and is not FDA-approved for acne treatment.

Default baby shampoo as cleanser when using green tea cream

Hi: I spoke with Dr. Syed as promised and we discussed the reason why he suggested baby shampoo as a cleanser for me. He said he doesn't endorse any cleanser over another but baby shampoo has a Ph that he likes. But any cleanser that a Rosacea patient can tolerate is o.k. Because I have had so many laser treatments and been on so many medications over the last 6 years, he doesn't expect that I will see any kind of positive results for at least a month. I wish it were sooner. But if it works, then that month will have been worth it. The doctor did suggest that I try to find a tinted moisturizer or makeup that did not have SPF added to it. His green tea cream has a natural SPF of 50 and he thought some of my burning might be reaction to the sunscreen that is in my tinted moisturizer and make-up. I would be interested in any suggestions any of you have on tinted moisturizers or makeup with no SPF that your skin can tolerate. I am having a terrible time finding any on my own. Thanks.

Hey, I just ordered this cream this weekend, should be here middle of next week. I will post my experiences with it. My problem is constant background redness and bad flushing. Hopefully this will help.

He wrote this in the email to me, it sounds pretty interesting.

Here is the rationale behind this discovery. The polyphenolic fractions (-)EGCg, Epigallocatechin gallate) isolated from green tea extract and the physiological chemistry of their molecules exhibit a variety of antioxidants that can inhibit production of reactive oxygen species, lessen elastic and collagen degeneration, prevent alteration of the cutaneous vasculature, as well as, can contribute inhibitory effect on vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) including anti-inflammatory properties and inhibition of microorganisms, demodex folliculorum and Helicobacter pylori, presumably the prominent causative manifestations to ‘tripwire’ bouts of rosacea.

Yea keep us posted I would REALY like to know if this cream works for permanent redness and flushing because those are my main two symptoms.

Your concerns are the same as mine. I will definitely keep everyone posted. I've just completed week one with no real difference. But it's still way too early. I guess I'm just impatient for this stuff to go away and never come back. I'm way too old to be having complexion problems!