Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have we seen the last of Rosacea Fibrosis?

This user has been banned from this forum

Default Have we seen the last of Rosacea Fibrosis?

Hi Group,

Very novel and exciting work being done by a pharmaceutical company on reversing fibrosis (thickening of the skin due to nonstop swelling). Fibrosis can result in small plaques of hardened skin in the cheeks, major changes in the nose and rhinophyma, and disfiguring changes around the chin area. These are the three main places.

Accutane is somewhat effective against fibrosis and even helps to reverse fibrosis once it has set in. But, the need for a safer more effective drug has been looked at for 4 years now. Finally, they have found one very good medication and application technique.

Aminexil is a relatively new drug that is known to break apart skin fibrosis. It dissolves hard fibrosis plaques in the dermis, changes it into protein and water and is removed by the lymphatic vessels. They started several years ago with mutiple needle injections. But, now with iontophoresis, they put the active drug into a gel, put it onto a cut out iontophoresis pad (to match the size and shape of the fibrosis), and deliver a charge into the pad to force the medication through the skin and into the plaques. Treatment sessions last one to two hours and it usually takes about 10 treatments to break it completely down into liquid.

This is very good news for all phymatous sufferers, for those that have portions of their noses fibrosed into odd looking shapes, skin changes on the nose and literally a double chin from fibrosis. It is my understanding that the company can treat any size, thickness and hardness of fibrosis via iontophoressis. Furthermore, this is very safe.

This will most likely be patented in 2006 and sold to physicians and medical estheticians. All by iitself it may be able to make an instantaneous change in the rhinophymatous nose and even noses that have been fibrosed for several decades.

I have not seen a mention of the cost, but the medication is expesnive, the gels and pads are inexpensive. The only expensive equipment is the digital iontophoresis unit.

Dr Nase,
    I read a statement by you once that said you can tell fibrotic tissue by determining whether its hard or soft. I have a region (on my cheek near that scar area of concern) that is tough for me to determine by using that test (its kind of soft but has some firmness to it). Any other tests you can suggest?

Thanks as always,
    Trey

Quote Originally Posted by clsykes00
    Dr Nase,
    I read a statement by you once that said you can tell fibrotic tissue by determining whether its hard or soft. I have a region (on my cheek near that scar area of concern) that is tough for me to determine by using that test (its kind of soft but has some firmness to it). Any other tests you can suggest?

Thanks as always,
    Trey

Touch is the main route of determination. Change of color is sometimes helpful, but can be misleading. If it turns rock solid 24 hours a day, it still takes months for it to lapse into permanent fibrosis. With your accutane, this fibrosis should be taken care of.

I did not see fibrotic plaques in the last set of photos. If you would like to semd me more with arrows like last time that would be a big help.

Hey Dr. Nase, that is really great to hear. Now I'm not as scared, but I was curious if I have to wait for myself to get significant changes in my nose in order for me to receive treatment. In other words, can this stop rhinophyma in its track before it fully develops and prevent it from ever forming? Thanks.

PS- I was trying to get my digital camera to work and for soem reason it is not compatible w/my system, I still would like to send you photos soon though.

Thanks again. -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by YankeesRtheBest
    Hey Dr. Nase, that is really great to hear. Now I'm not as scared, but I was curious if I have to wait for myself to get significant changes in my nose in order for me to receive treatment. In other words, can this stop rhinophyma in its track before it fully develops and prevent it from ever forming? Thanks.

PS- I was trying to get my digital camera to work and for soem reason it is not compatible w/my system, I still would like to send you photos soon though.

Thanks again. -Chris

Chris,

It shows great ability to stop one aspect of rhinophyma, the fibrosis which leads to layers upon layers of tissue. One still needs to address the sebaceous glands and the blood vessels though.

Geoffrey,

Was it accutane that sorted your Rhinophyma back in the day? Im sure I read that in your book (if only my memory were as faithful!).

Do you see a day when Aminexil will replace Accutane? And if so, when would you see this happening?

Man, I am so glad my rosacea hasnt reach that stage yet...

Is this the same thing?

http://www.hairloss-hair.com/hairloss/aminexil.htm

I suppose if I grew hair on my face it would help hide the rosacea but I'd prefer a less drastic alternative.

Thats actually quite interesting - dont they use another hair growth product to induce preflushing (Noxin I believe).

Geoffrey, if this is the same thing you're refering to, are there any such issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Callien
    Is this the same thing?

http://www.hairloss-hair.com/hairloss/aminexil.htm

I suppose if I grew hair on my face it would help hide the rosacea but I'd prefer a less drastic alternative.

Hi Callien,

I did not see its other indicatioin for hair growth. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. After a quick interview I was informed that it should not have a growth affect on the face -- just the scalp where fiibrosis kills tha hair foliicles. In any case, it would cease growing hair once you stopped. I cant envision a rosacea treatment taking more than a couple weeks.

arent there other ingredients in the aminexil hairtreatments other than the aminexil? Is that really the same stuff that doctors inject in peoples noses to get rid of fibrosis? The only aminexil i found when searching on the net is the hairtreatment stuff.