Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swollen nose every morning

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Well that sounds a little uncomfortable. You can buy special covers for pillows and buy special hypoallergenic ones. Ofcourse it might not be that....
    Yeah I didn't actually try sleeping without a pillow... but my nose got way stuffed again. It could be the excessive heating, it's like -13 in the outside now so the heaters are boiling.

We keep the heat off in the bedroom. That could be an aggravating factor.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi Chris,

I found your posting while searching online for information on Rhinophyma and swollen nose. I was recently diagnose with Rosacea and already experiencing your symptoms. My nose is slightly larger than before and it tends to be more swollen when I wake up in the morning. I am horrified since I am a female in my early 30's. I was curious if you tried any medication that improve your condition. I am currently using Metrogel, but its not helping at all. If anyone else is experiencing the same problem and has good advice, please feel free to drop a note.

Thanks!!!

Hi Stefieny,
    I'm sorry you are dealing with this. You might find this thread helpful.
    It contains helpful threads within it as well dealing with this issue.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ght=rhinophyma

There are measures you can take so don't stress too much. Best thing to do is find a good derm who can work with you to help you find relief from your symptoms.

Welcome to the RF

Best wishes,
    Melissa

I am also dealing with nose swelling and I know it can another distressing part of Rosacea.

I have done some reseach on it and here is some advice.

It has been studied and proven through biopsy that Rhinophyma and Rosacea have an overgrowth of mast cells. Mast cells play a role in the release of histamine, thus too many mast cells, too much histamine, too much histamine leads to inflammation, prolonged inflammation leads to swelling, prolonged swelling can lead to fibrosis and tissue growth. So goes the basic theory for phymatous types of Rosacea.

On top of that, Sebum and the overactive activity thereof is also said to play a role in Rhinophyma. This is one reason why it is said to be more prevelant in men then women, as androgens influence the oil glands and sebum.

This is why Dr. Nase encourages Oral Ketofin (sp?) and low dose Accutane as it covers both of these issues and on top of that, Accutane has potent anti-inflammatory effects.
    However, I caution you on low dose Accutane. I did it for 8 months. It helped the nose a lot, actually reversed the swelling I had BUT it ended up making my overall facial flushing worse and once I was off for around 6 mopnths the nose swelling came back. I would only entertain this medication IF you have exhausted all other avenues and I would also go very slow and not go above 10-15mg per day, keeping a close eye on flushing.

Quercetin/Bromelian. This is a natural supplement that has anti-inflammatory effects, strengthens cappillaries and is a mast cell stabilizer. I have found it too be somewhat beneficial but in no means a cure. Has perhaps just allowed things to be less severe? I hope anyways.

Chromolyn Nose Spray. This is an OTC nose spray that is also a mast cell stabilizer. I do 3 squirts per day. Can't say how much it has really hepled, but I think it has again perhaps made things less severe. Nonethelss, I use it daily in hopes that it is helping to make things less severe. Some people respond well to this, so I have read.

Clonidine. Didn't help me but I have read reports of people having resolved nose flushing with this.

Like most aspects of Rosaea, the key to control is reducing the flushes, which reduces the overall inflammation, which reduces the swelling, wich limits or prevents the possibility of tissue growth.

Mast cells/Fibrosis and their role in Phymatous types of Rosaca as well as Rosacea in general.

http://www.find-health-articles.com/...rhinophyma.htm
    http://rosacea-support.org/angiogene...volvement.html
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/8mh5517688160212/

Histopathology Skin nose--Rhinophyma on Sebacous Glands

Last edited by RedFaced; 24th July 2009 at 10:37 PM.

Default Thank you!

Hi Melissa and Redfaced,

Thanks for your replies. I just submitted another posting on Rhinophyma a few minutes ago, but please ignore that. I am still learning how this forum works and didn't realize both of you already replied to my first posting. As you see, I am just quite anxious and desperate and don't know who to turn to. I am still seeking for a good dermatologist in nyc, so if you any doctor comes in mind, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks a bunch!!

Hi Stefieny,

You are very welcome and don't worry about navigating around the RF. It will take some time to learn the layout and we are here to help!

As for a good derm I highly recommend my derm David Cohen at NYU.
    (212-263-5889)
    He is extremely knowledgeable about rosacea and many other derm issues and very patient and kind. He doesn't do lasers though but as a primary derm he is the best in NYC IMO. He doesn't accept any insurance though.

Best of luck and let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Thanks so much for the referral!

It sucks that Dr. Cohen doesn't take my insurance, but what's more important than receiving grade A medical treatment! Hope he is the ONE!! :-)

Also, I noticed some members here stated that Rhinophyma is almost nonexistent in female Rosaceans, but through my own experience, I am convinced that Rhinophyma can exist in women and is definitely not the severe or end stage of Rosacea. It appears to me that Rhinophyma is just another subtype of Rosacea, very similar to Ocular Rosacea, Rhinophyma can occur prior to other subtypes like papules-pustules or Ocular Rosacea. I think that explains why some people with Rhinophyma do not experience other subtypes of Rosacea, not because they don't have Rosacea, but simply because other subtypes were not triggered yet, for whatever reason.

Again, the above analysis is only base on my experience and I would like to share my opinion with other Rosaceans here. I believe there are always cases out there that beats the odds and I am one of them. I hope everyone here can share more of their experiences and learn from each other. More importantly, I hope a cure can be discover soon, so we can all feel free again!!

Melissa, thanks for all your time and work!! I will keep everyone posted with Dr. Cohen's visit.

You're very welcome Stefieny. Dr, Cohen will keep working with you to find the treatments that will benefit you most. I hope the visit goes well. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Default nose swelling

i don't know if this thread is still active, but i stumbled on it in a google search. i have rosacea, and pretty much my first symptom was a swelling nose. it started three years ago, would start at night time my nose would get stuffy and swollen, i'd go to bed and wake up with a rock hard swollen nose. went to derm and he told me there's nothing they can do. they gave me accutane. i went to three ENTs and they all pretty much think i'm full of it. they don't believe that my nose swells.. they say "noses don't just swell up for no reason". it's so depressing and frustrating. i have to deal with a hot red swollen nose every morning and my nose has grown in size so much, so when the swelling "goes down" it doesn't really go down anymore it just gets bigger and bigger. has anyone found any solutions since so much time has past from the last posting??? i am so depressed, i really need to find a solution.