Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swollen nose every morning

Default Swollen nose every morning

My swollen nose seems to be the most apparent when I wake up in the morning and I was curious if anyone has this problem too. It also seems to be swollen at other times of teh day. Dr. Nase mentioned the therapies below that we all have to be cautious with. The one in letter G, Oral Metronidazole 250 mgs 3 times per day, seems to be the best choice for me because I honestly don't have much more money for any kind of treatment and I can get covered by insurance for meds, but I'm not sure how wise it is to take this in the stage I'm in. What do you think Dr. Nase? I just want to know that I'm doing my BEST to address my nose now because it's continuing to swell more as time goes by. I'm not doing one single thing to address this. Thanks. -Chris

1. Skin swelling/isolated raised patches of swelling or mild fibrosis:

a. The epidermis does not contain any blood vessels (arterioles, venules or lymphatics) and swelling occurs below the epiidermis at the top layer of teh dermaol tissue. Thus the micropeel would have no effect as it just treats 20% to 70% of the epidermal skin.

b. Very mixed results with levulan followed by IPL, Sciton, or V-beam.

c. Stay away from freezing which is still performed

d. Oral isotretinoin + Oral Ketotifen seem to be the best.

e. I have heard of experiments with local injection of BOTOX, Ketotifen + Roxithromycin, Weekly shots of Retinol deep into the fibroblasts.

f. ketotifen 1-2mg /day in combination with isotretinoin 0.2-0.5mg/kg/day for 4-5 months. Reported to work in Morbihan's disease.

g. Hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice daily (antimaliarials under tight medical supervision actually help many rosacea symptoms)

h. Furosemide, a potent diuretic has been used in some cases under very tight medical supervision

g. Oral Metronidazole 250 mgs 3 times per day for no longer than 28 days (under very tight medical supervision). This treatment can be a real God-send to lymphedema and rhinophyma sufferers ........ as well as those caught in a very bad case of rosacea inflammation.

I have the exact same problem, suffered with it for years. In my case something is happening when I sleep, which always makes my nose swollen by the time I wake up in the morning. It is not really red at all, but always swollen.

I was prescribed Flagyl (Oral Metronidazole) last year. I was put on one 500mg and one 250mg per day.
    The results were poor. It didn't help at all for the 12 days while I was taking it, but the week after my nose was less swollen for around 2 weeks. The swelling then came back just as bad as before I took it.

I have the same problem, swollen nose in the morning. But what seems to help me is the medication Klacid (clarithromycin). It has got a lot better since i've started eating that. Don't know why it helps though..but it does. I take 250mg in the morning and 250 in the evening.

Thanks for the info, I have high hopes for Rambazole, Dr. Nase said it can treat mild to moderate rhinophyma. I just hope that mine will stay in or below that range when it comes out. And I wonder if that means it will prevent me from ever getting to a severe stage? I sure hope so. Until then, I'm looking for the best way to stop this swelling and other symptoms of rhinophyma in its tracks. I'm still unsure about what the best laser is for this. Maybe that Roche place in NJ can make the 1 mg accutane if I get my derm to send the prescription. -Chris

I have the same thing, my nose is swollen in the morning for an hour or so. And another thing is that my nose always gets stuffed during nights... that probably causes the swelling too. It's very damn irritating, please let me know if anything has helped you guys.

Could be partly due to allergies.
    Have you tried an antihistamine like allegra or zyrtec?

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by melissawohl View Post
    Could be partly due to allergies.
    Have you tried an antihistamine like allegra or zyrtec?

Best wishes,
    Melissa
    I don't have any allergies that I know of. But yeah, I could have some allergy that I don't know of since I got the fungus and seb. derm and all. Dunno if those conditions are related in any way, though.

Do you sleep on a feather pillow. You might like to put an allergy slip cover on it.

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Do you sleep on a feather pillow. You might like to put an allergy slip cover on it.
    Yeah I do... I'm gonna test sleeping without a pillow for the next night.

Well that sounds a little uncomfortable. You can buy special covers for pillows and buy special hypoallergenic ones. Ofcourse it might not be that....