Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can klonopin cause flushing?

I believe your both correct, and appreciate the responses.

Conventional wisdom would say that the new product (Elidel) is causing the problem, though as David correctly points out it is so hard to pinpoint a trigger in periods of sensativity. And I've never had much luck with topicals, even when my skin was not sensative.

But my physical reaction seems to point to the klonopin. And I had been using a pretty good dose to help with the sleep. Over the last 12 days, I took 20 0.5mg clonazepam, which I believe is the generic. That was well within the perscription, but it would not be the first time that my rosacea was sensative to a perscription pill (e.g., pain meds). And I kind of had this inkling a week ago and went off it for awhile, but after discussing with my Doc he said it was o'kay and I should go back on for the sleep.

It seems like a couple days use of the klonopin, for me, are fine, and then a problem. Or, it could just be the Elidel.

The concern I had was everyone was telling me to be careful with the klonopin, because it may make flushing worse if you take too much. I tracked the genesis of that concern to a post from Nase on the yahoo board from Feb.21, 2005.

I don't know. Something is causing the problem this weekend. The good thing is that I feel it is an outside trigger, and not just some increased flushing. Remove the trigger and the flushing should stop.

I may just have to gut this period out dropping all of these types of topicals, and staying away from the "mood altering drugs." If I get a little anxious, then maybe take a bit of Inderal. And this morning this is what I'm inclined to do, although I would like to try some Elavil to see if it helps with my sleep.

Anyway, I truly appreciate the comments. My rosacea had been so good for a year and a half or so before these treatments that my "rosacea senses" have been somewhat dampened. It's taken a bit of time to get my rosacea antenna up and running, and your comments have speeded that process.

Steve.

I believe your both correct, and appreciate the responses.

Conventional wisdom would say that the new product (Elidel) is causing the problem, though as David correctly points out it is so hard to pinpoint a trigger in periods of sensativity. And I've never had much luck with topicals, even when my skin was not sensative.

But my physical reaction seems to point to the klonopin. And I had been using a pretty good dose to help with the sleep. Over the last 12 days, I took 20 0.5mg clonazepam, which I believe is the generic. That was well within the perscription, but it would not be the first time that my rosacea was sensative to a perscription pill (e.g., pain meds). And I kind of had this inkling a week ago and went off it for awhile, but after discussing with my Doc he said it was o'kay and I should go back on for the sleep.

It seems like a couple days use of the klonopin, for me, are fine, and then a problem. Or, it could just be the Elidel.

The concern I had was everyone was telling me to be careful with the klonopin, because it may make flushing worse if you take too much. I tracked the genesis of that concern to a post from Nase on the yahoo board from Feb.21, 2005.

I don't know. Something is causing the problem this weekend. The good thing is that I feel it is an outside trigger, and not just some increased flushing. Remove the trigger and the flushing should stop.

I may just have to gut this period out dropping all of these types of topicals, and staying away from the "mood altering drugs." If I get a little anxious, then maybe take a bit of Inderal. And this morning this is what I'm inclined to do, although I would like to try some Elavil to see if it helps with my sleep.

Anyway, I truly appreciate the comments. My rosacea had been so good for a year and a half or so before these treatments that my "rosacea senses" have been somewhat dampened. It's taken a bit of time to get my rosacea antenna up and running, and your comments have speeded that process.

Steve.

And yes Bella, I'm taking 500mg of clarthromycin a day since several days before the end of the treatments.

And the winner is -- or should I say the culprit -- Elidel. I stayed only on the Elidel Sunday and continued to flare badly. On Monday morning, I did a test where I took a klonopin and monitored the reaction. There was no flare or it was very minor.

I becoming a rather nice little junckie on my my klonopin. I'm cognizant that, all things being equal, I don't want to use too much of it, and slowly ween myself from it when I want to stop using, but at this point it is more important to comply with my Doc's treatment plan to the T, so that this post treatment flare resolves as soon as possible.

So, one mystery solved.

For anxiety and flushing, clonodine was a real life saver for me. I was not sleeping for days and days because the anxiety would just roll through me like a toxic poison--I could feel it like a physical sensation. This was about a year ago. They gave me clonodine and it got rid of the anxiety in about a week. What a relief that was. It also helped enormously with the flushing.
    - Rachel Rose

Quote Originally Posted by RachelRose
    For anxiety and flushing, clonodine was a real life saver for me. I was not sleeping for days and days because the anxiety would just roll through me like a toxic poison--I could feel it like a physical sensation. This was about a year ago. They gave me clonodine and it got rid of the anxiety in about a week. What a relief that was. It also helped enormously with the flushing.
    RachelRose, just out of curiosity, what dose are you on?

Thanks

I'm off clonodine now. But I was taking .05 mg three times a day. I did a lot of experimenting to get to the perfect dose. It really helped me. I eventually got so much better after Genesis/IPL treatments that I was able to stop taking it because I was no longer flushing much. I went back on it briefly after a nasty post-tx flare but Inderal helped me better during that experience so I dropped the clonodine altogether.
    - Rachel Rose

Well, it looks like I will have to drop my klonopin . I have only been taking 1-2 tablets a day, which is well within the prescribed dosage. Occasionally, this was for anxiety, but I was taking it more for a sleep aid (pursuant to doc's instructions) to offset the night time sleep flushes. This is the second day this week I've waken with shaky hands (almost like parkinson's), sweating in the armpits, dry mouth and headache. I'm sure these are just some of the side effects of this drug, and they pass by the beginning of the afternoon.

I'm not sure if this has resulted in increased flushing, but there have been several days where I've wakened with a red face following a dosage of klonopin as a sleep aid. But no burning or stinging sensation, which would tell me I'm in a bad flush. Of course, during these post treatment flares it is so difficult to determine what causes increased and what does not.

So to be on the safe side, I'll DX the klonopin, unless there is a real need, like a major panic attack, which I don't think is going to happen, as I'm well passed that stage in this post treatment flare period.

Definately, if I take more then one klonopin a day I will wake up the next day with shaky hands -- like Parkinson's -- dry mouth, a little sweating, all of which are known side efffect, which pass by noontime.

But I've probably averaged one klonopin a day for the last five weeks. It hasn't caused flushing. On those days I don't take I don't flush more. And I pretty much stopped taking it a week ago, because I started in on different sleep aids (melatonin, 5-htp, ect.), and there has been no increased flushing.

So, I guess my point is that I was a klonopin junckie for a month, but it did not cause any increased flushing. And given all the talk on the net that it does, I even did a couple of tests to see if it caused flushing, and it didn't.

So maybe all that talk about klonopin causing flushing needs to be rethought.

But then, I'm just a dumb lawyer so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Definately, if I take more then one klonopin a day I will wake up the next day with shaky hands -- like Parkinson's -- dry mouth, a little sweating, all of which are known side efffect, which pass by noontime.

But I've probably averaged one klonopin a day for the last five weeks. It hasn't caused flushing. On those days I don't take I don't flush more. And I pretty much stopped taking it a week ago, because I started in on different sleep aids (melatonin, 5-htp, ect.), and there has been no increased flushing.

So, I guess my point is that I was a klonopin junckie for a month, but it did not cause any increased flushing. And given all the talk on the net that it does, I even did a couple of tests to see if it caused flushing, and it didn't.

So maybe all that talk about klonopin causing flushing needs to be rethought.

But then, I'm just a dumb lawyer so take what I say with a grain of salt.