Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Just had the condensed protocol with Dr Darm -- Help

Wow - Prednisone is an extremely bad boy drug. I believe it made my "R" significantly worse as well.

Thank you for posting this - it will at least act as a warning for others to not mix IPL and prednisone, and I would say we need to avoid prednisone if possible.

For what it is worth - I did not not see the full benefit of my treatments with Darm for 4 or so months. And many do flush much worse as they heal. So perhaps this will improve on its own with time. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

KHM

This poor guy with flushing pain and no sleep.

First, taking oral and topical steroids during Genesis/IPL treatment is a big fat NO-NO in my books. I don't care whether it's Dr. Darm or the Witch Doctor on the street corner writing prescription. I will not follow the doctor's orders. No steroids, period.

Second, the condensed protocol could have been overkill for the skin. My skin is hypersensitive and I need at least a week to recover from an IPL treatment.

I hope the flushing will improve over time.

Quote Originally Posted by KHM
    Wow - Prednisone is an extremely bad boy drug. I believe it made my "R" significantly worse as well.

Thank you for posting this - it will at least act as a warning for others to not mix IPL and prednisone, and I would say we need to avoid prednisone if possible.

For what it is worth - I did not not see the full benefit of my treatments with Darm for 4 or so months. And many do flush much worse as they heal. So perhaps this will improve on its own with time. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

KHM

This poor guy with flushing pain and no sleep.

First, taking oral and topical steroids during Genesis/IPL treatment is a big fat NO-NO in my books. I don't care whether it's Dr. Darm or the Witch Doctor on the street corner writing prescription. I will not follow the doctor's orders. No steroids, period.

Second, the condensed protocol could have been overkill for the skin. My skin is hypersensitive and I need at least a week to recover from an IPL treatment.

I hope the flushing will improve over time.

KHM

from my own experience, prednisone is the worst drug to take if you have rosacea! I had a non-rosacea related skin rash on my arms a few years ago and my doctor prescribed me prednisone. Granted it did clear up the rash, but it made my face burn like hell. I remember the next day my face was on fire, it was crazy. And i know it was the prednisone because i was prescribed it again for another similar skin rash and it did the exact same thing.

Thank you for posting this - it will at least act as a warning for others to not mix IPL and prednisone, and I would say we need to avoid prednisone if possible.KHM
    Why should we not mix steroids and IPL? I am tapering off a dose of prednisone that started at 60mg. I am now down to 5mg. I have an IPL tx set up for 5 days from now. Should I cancel that tx? What could happen?

Thanks if anyone has an answer.
    - Rachel Rose

Rachel -

Definately call your IPL doc before proceeding with IPL after taking Prednisone. Prednisone can increase bruising, and it has a heck of a long half life.

Other than that, I don't think I expressed my answer too clearly.

Sometimes when a Dr overdoes the laser or IPL power or the patient reacts badly for some other reason the doc will prescribe Prednisone to knock down the inflamation.

It will do that - it is very effective. However Prednisone has very wide reaching effects on the body, on the adrenals, and on the takers ability to respond to stressors (not to mention I personally ate everything that was not moving).

For some of us I believe Prednisone all by itself will make the Rosacea worse. If you take it after IPL you don't know what is causing your problem.

I really was not thinking in terms of Prednisone before - I was thinking more of after IPL

Rachel -

Definately call your IPL doc before proceeding with IPL after taking Prednisone. Prednisone can increase bruising, and it has a heck of a long half life.

Other than that, I don't think I expressed my answer too clearly.

Sometimes when a Dr overdoes the laser or IPL power or the patient reacts badly for some other reason the doc will prescribe Prednisone to knock down the inflamation.

It will do that - it is very effective. However Prednisone has very wide reaching effects on the body, on the adrenals, and on the takers ability to respond to stressors (not to mention I personally ate everything that was not moving).

For some of us I believe Prednisone all by itself will make the Rosacea worse. If you take it after IPL you don't know what is causing your problem.

I really was not thinking in terms of Prednisone before - I was thinking more of after IPL
    I've found that using red light therapy post-laser is a great way speed recovery and tamp down the flush response many experience after laser treatments. As far as I know, this is because of its anti-inflammatory action.

I know that some here are still skeptical about red light therapy, but it's very gentle, non-thermal, and is a great adjunct to thermal laser/IPL treatments. DIY and you don't have to mess with steroids. 8)

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Definately call your IPL doc before proceeding with IPL after taking Prednisone.
    Thanks for the clarification KHM. The IPL doc says it is fine. I just want other people's experience because the docs don't always know (and don't have to live with the consequences!)

Did other people experience burning after prednisone and it cleared up? Everytime I taper down to a lower dose I get burning. It clears up after a few days and then I taper down to the next lower dose. I'm afraid it will stay and not go away. I hate this.
    - Rachel Rose

Default I realize its been a couple of monhts but....HELP!!!

Hey everyone. I am new to this forum because I just got diagnosed with rosacea although I'm still confused. I had a few broken blood vessels on my cheeks zapped with a laser called the Versapulse this May. I think he went overboard to say the least. My face was cherry red for days and now I have tons of hyperpigmentation over areas of matted veins and it continues to get worse. I have flushing every now and then that I never had before the laser was done. I also started having little while pimples on my cheeks. I went to 4 dermatologists and they all want to put me on retin-a which I cant tolerate. It makes my skin really red. Finally, yesterday, I got some Metrogel 1% and started using it last night. I am putting that on 1 cheek and Vitamin K get on the other. I also went to a plastic surgeon as a last resort ( $$$$) and she wants to use the Levulan Kerastick on me with blue light therapy. $460 a pop and wants to do it 3 times ( I really want the guy who did the versapulse to pay for all of this ) It was also suggested that she use IPL ( Palomar Medulux laser) on my hyperpigmentation, just on 1 spot to test my reaction. Has anyone had any of this done? How about the Laser Genesis? I'm so scared at this stage My face looks like a roadmap and I feel like I am going to be scarred for life. It has made me a total recluse.
    FYI- I have light olive skin, My mom is from Brazil and my dad is British. My skin hyperpigments very easily and has become very sensitive.
    Thanks for your help in advance. Forums like these are great support
    Sabine

Hi Sabine

That's terrible and must be very hard to know what to do next.

My advice would be not to rush into to any drastic treatments for a bit. Wait and see if your skin calms down. Metrogel takes about 4 -8 weeks to kick in and it would proably be worth waiting to if that helps. It might even be worth looking into oral antibotics to try and calm things down.

My derm uses retina-a as well but it is a risk. He said it works great for some but makes things worse for others. He said it wasn't an option for me as i have very sensative skin. Metrogel and oral antibotics work well for a lot of people and are very unlikely to makes things worse.

Hyperpigmentation is meant to last 6 months so hopefully should fade soon. What did they derms say about it?

When i googled it the verapulse had four lasers. Which one were you treated with? It's important for you to know if you reacted badly to the laser or if the doctor used the wrong laser (like one of the ones that are for tatoo removal). What has the doctor who did the laser said?

I would assume ipl would be out for you given your skin tone and your history of hyperpigmation. V-beam or genesis laser are much more specific for blood vessels so might be a better bet for you but i would do a lot of research before signing up to anything. There is some good information below about all the various lasers and light devises. It also goes into hyperpigmentation and i think from memeory it said ip or laser wouldn't be very successful for getting rid of it:

http://www.australiandoctor.com.au/h...__AUG25_06.pdf

Hope that helps.