Thread: doxycyclin - OK taking 50mg 3 times a day?

This user has been banned from this forum

Default doxycyclin - OK taking 50mg 3 times a day?

Hi guys, I just wondered if its OK taking doxycyclin 3 times a day? I have not heard of any taking 50 mg 4 times a day or something, only 1 time or 2 times a day. I want to ask my derm for 60 100 mg doxycyclin tabs and take them as follows:
    200 mg for 2 weeks
    150 mg for 3 weeks
    100 mg for 10 days

I hope that one and a half month on a dose over 100 mg daily may have some lasting effect. I have been too focussed at getting on isotretinoin as fast as possible and on getting a mole removed. Was afraid of getting sed derm and infections on upper thigh from having antibiotics in body LOL I feared antibiotics would give me infections #-o all though it could happen down there :?

well, Ill just take 200mg for 1-2 weeks now and dose down to 100 mg..seems like standard is 100 mg and any dose over that level should only be intermittent to avoid accumulation

Re: Doxycycline --- this drug is pretty versatile and from my experience the body can tolerate it really well. My derm said to experiment to find the right dosage...all the time trying to get it down to the lowest amount and still get results. For about a month now I've been trying a method called "SD doxycycline" (look it up on the net). It entails taking only 20 mg 2x/day and was based on studies done for people with gum disease. By chance they discovered that people with skin diseases also experienced healing, less inflammation and smoother skin...with the skin getting clearer and calmer the longer it's taken. And at such a small dose it doesn't affect intestinal flora, etc. Even though it's hard to believe such a small dose could work...it seems to be for me!!! Of course, I'm taking other drugs too --- spironolactone 50 mg/day (to deal with hormone imbalance - I'm 54 - it helps block androgens that cause pimples) and 75%metrogel 2x/day...plus Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Wash, no lotions (all of them inflame my skin) and avoiding the usual triggers. Hope this helps!

I was taking Doxy 3 or 4 times per day. Until one day I said
    to hell with it. From then on, took them all at the same time daily lol
    I'm so happy to be not taking them anymore. 10 + yrs are long
    enough.

Quote Originally Posted by claudia
    Re: Doxycycline --- this drug is pretty versatile and from my experience the body can tolerate it really well. My derm said to experiment to find the right dosage...all the time trying to get it down to the lowest amount and still get results. For about a month now I've been trying a method called "SD doxycycline" (look it up on the net). It entails taking only 20 mg 2x/day and was based on studies done for people with gum disease. By chance they discovered that people with skin diseases also experienced healing, less inflammation and smoother skin...with the skin getting clearer and calmer the longer it's taken. And at such a small dose it doesn't affect intestinal flora, etc. Even though it's hard to believe such a small dose could work...it seems to be for me!!! Of course, I'm taking other drugs too --- spironolactone 50 mg/day (to deal with hormone imbalance - I'm 54 - it helps block androgens that cause pimples) and 75%metrogel 2x/day...plus Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Wash, no lotions (all of them inflame my skin) and avoiding the usual triggers. Hope this helps!
    I read somewhere that periostat was going to be indicated for rosacea in 2006, I think they have completed clinical trials with success, not sure though