Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STEROID VS ANTIFUNGAL

Default STEROID VS ANTIFUNGAL

Why do you think that most doctors prescribe steroid cream for seb derm instead of an antifungal cream? Is the antifungal cream more harmful?

If you have rosacea, this question is very simple

Don't apply any topical steroids (not even mild) on your face unless you are certain that you don't have rosacea, because it can (and probably will) worsen the situation.

Antifungal creams are pretty harmless. Try this before you consider topical steroids. Just make sure that your antifungal cream doesn't also contain hydrocortison (usually 1%). Some topicals for S.D. contain both some azole (ketokonazole e.g.) and hydrocortisone, so be a little careful.

/JR

This user has been banned from this forum

what out for anti-fungal topicals they may harm more than help. They have all pretty harsh vehicles, thats the problem

Just look what happens if you were to use Nizoral shampoo three times a week for many years. Your hair is really not gonna like it and will jump ship asap!

I am 57 years old, and I am a research microbiologist. I am of Irish-Scots descent, and my rosacea began when I was about 52. I understand that what is described under the general term of rosacea can actually be one of a number of different rashes and facial blemishes, mine was not the fine surface spreading rash, it was those localized ugly blotches that began deeper under the skin, and sometimes formed papules.
    None of the standard commercial medications worked for me. This includes taking antibiotics by mouth, topical steroid creams, Metronidazole cream, you name it. So, since I am a scientist and have access to any chemical I need, I started searching for something that worked. I started with one basic assumption, that rosacea has its origin in some sort of immune defect in the white cells clustered in and underneath the skin and that this has a strong component of heredity associated with it, so looking for a cure on any shorter term was just not an option. What I looked for was a control, something that may not remove the rashes altogether, but which would at least lessen their severity.
    I also realized that available topical ointments would not work , the origin of the problem is somewhat under the skin and those ointments and lotions just did not penetrate to the site of the problem. Also, oral antibiotics and other medications were not an option, they had little effect on me, and in my opinion anyway, they can have bad long term consequences taking them is not worth the risk.
    So, after a number of trials the following gave clear benefits. I made a solution of 1.0 mg/mL methylprednisolone and 10% Sodium sufacetamide in 70% Dimethylsulfoxide in distilled water (DMSO). The DMSO penetrates under the skin and carries the medication inwards where it can have an effect rather than sit uselessly on the skin surface. The methylprednisolone is a powerful steroid (the usual hydrocortisone found in pharmaceutical creams is NOT useful) and seems to suppress the errant white cell activity, the sodium sufacetamide is a sulfa drug and is antibacterial. It is also very possible that this will work when the sufa drug is not included.
    This preparation really works for me, it is does not cut out the rash entirely but it is WAY WAY reduced in intensity, it takes a matter of weeks to see results, but the benefit is clear and it persists, and scarring has stopped. DMSO is commonly used in medical preparations and as far as I can tell has little or no toxicity when applied externally in a cautious manner, it DOES sting for about 10 minutes after application, but this does not bother me.
    I am not impressed by all of the warnings not to use steroids if you have rosacea, the immunological evidence suggests they might be useful, my reading of all that complex scientific literature indicates that not using steroids topically if you have rosacea is far too general a statement and lacks good evidence over a large number of test subjects. Since there is not much around that seems to be generally effective, no avenue should be closed when you search for what works. And, from what I was able to find, any topical cream that does not penetrate to the lower reaches of the skin is not going to do much good, there may well be useful agents in some of these preparations, but a lot of what is described on this site is lesions and rashes that are originating deeper down and are not accessed by active ingredients in these creams. I do see some postings here about use of ingredients in 10% DMSO, but this is not enough DMSO, you need at least 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thomson
    I made a solution of 1.0 mg/mL methylprednisolone and 10% Sodium sufacetamide in 70% Dimethylsulfoxide in distilled water (DMSO). The DMSO penetrates under the skin and carries the medication inwards where it can have an effect rather than sit uselessly on the skin surface.
    I do see some postings here about use of ingredients in 10% DMSO, but this is not enough DMSO, you need at least 50%.
    :mrgreen: SOUNDS GREAT!!!!!

Hi Mike,

My father found out he had rosacea at about the same age as you did. I wonder if it is not hormone related since you didn't start having problems until mid life. What ever the reason at least you found something that helps.

I have read so many articles about the use of steroid creams. Some doctors say because of the over use of it years ago it has gotten a bad rap. If used in moderation and low dose it can be beneficial without bad side effects.

You are lucky to be in a profession where you can help yourself and not depend on others.

I hope that your improvement continues.

Hi
    I think there is clearly a genetic component to rosacea, or this complex of different kinds of rashes that seems to placed under this general term. I have spent many years in research, and this experience did allow me access to materials most people don't have, and of course I only allowed myself as guinea pig. I think that it is important thet we share these possible treatments around, as long as people can get access to them they should be allowed to try them. I read an agonized post from a teenager who has the rhinophyma associated with rosacea, and this is a very traumatic thing to have in a young person, never mind someone my age. If my hunches are correct the fundamental "actor" in this problem of rosacea is an errant immune response, and one effective way to shut down such local immune defects is to use steroids, so their use should not be barred in a blanket manner. I know the preparation I describe can work for others, and I know its formulation is based on sound logic, maybe it could help you too
    regards, Mike

So if I wanted to try something like this would I need to go to an apothecary or find a chemist to mix it for me?

MODERATORS PLEASE REMOVE THIS THREAD.

Bonnie I was joking, dont ever try this on your skin 70% DMSO with 1mg/ml methylprednisone and 10% Sodium sulfacetamide ..its a felony to suggest this and a felony to joke about it (sorry folks!)