Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SHAVING! Need serious help...

Default SHAVING! Need serious help...

Hello guys,

I have posted months ago about the shaving problem I have. I used to shave by a blade and it used to make my beard area incredibly red. You guys recommended me to purchase a foil type electric shaver and I did so. I bought the Braun Activator. It seemed to be ok at the first and second times I used it. But today, it made my beard area go red!!!!!!

Now, the redness is same with the redness caused by blade shaving. I really cant understand it. Can an electric shaver give you a razor burn? No. Then actually I am thinking to myself that the redness I experienced by razors was not a razor burn!

The other point is that my skin doesnt flake most of the time though I think I have seb derm and thats what derms tell me. However shaving with an electric makes the beard area flake INCREDIBLY! Just as I pass over my skin, it flakes right away and gets red! The redness goes away in 15-20 minutes. It used to be the same with razor shaving.

Now the question is, redness... is it the sensitivity of my skin or is it caused by some microorganism living in the beard area( mites,..... whatever you call it)? Is it really seb derm?

I am very confused with this shaver as well. I was told that the Braun Activator never gets warm but the foil does get warm while shaving. Is it normal?

I thought my skin was supposed to get use to electric shaving but it seems as opposite is happening.

Please guys help me with this issue. I am so sick that nothing works...
    Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up again..

This user has been banned from this forum

Panasonics is much better! and cheaper :o

In what sense are panasonics better than Braun apart from its price? Have you used both?
    Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up again..

My advice is to forget about using both a blade and an electric razor. I use a beard trimmer instead, set on the "3 day look", which have done wonders for my shaving and, IMHO, a damn good look. Shaving smooth always causes something to get irritated. Also works great for those with seb derm.

I have a Philips Philishave, a bit older than those shown here but this is what you want: Link

Francois, I'm with Andy: three-day beard is a GREAT look. Your girlfriend will love it and so will your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    My advice is to forget about using both a blade and an electric razor. I use a beard trimmer instead, set on the "3 day look", which have done wonders for my shaving and, IMHO, a damn good look. Shaving smooth always causes something to get irritated. Also works great for those with seb derm.
    nice approach, indeed. but it takes much longer...

Takes much longer? Not really, especially if you're comparing with using a blade. Takes me 1-2 minutes, then some fine tuning perhaps, but that's it.

This user has been banned from this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa M
    Francois, I'm with Andy: three-day beard is a GREAT look. Your girlfriend will love it and so will your skin.
    not for us gorillas, we look ridiculous when we dont shave twice a day.

Andy how would using a stubble trimmer help those with seb derm if anything it would worsen it as wet shaving acts like a minor skin exfoliate that removes the top dead epidermal layers. Trimmers just taking off the top few mm of stubble thus leaving behind the block dry dead skin cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley
    Andy how would using a stubble trimmer help those with seb derm if anything it would worsen it as wet shaving acts like a minor skin exfoliate that removes the top dead epidermal layers. Trimmers just taking off the top few mm of stubble thus leaving behind the block dry dead skin cells.
    My experience, with others from a seb derm discussion group, is that shaving smooth always causes problems and often gives a flare, it just irritates the hell out of the skin. But of course, everyone is different, and lord knows there ain't two rosaceans skin that function in the exact same way.

If Francois has problems with both a blade and a electric razor, a trimmer would most certainly do the trick.

Also, in my experience, facial har that is prone to seb derm needs to breathe, not be totally removed or be left to grow too thick. But, as I said, I haven't shaved smooth in a long while now, I go easy on both my skin and beard.