Thread: Antibiotics dont work at all on flushings?

This user has been banned from this forum

Default Antibiotics dont work at all on flushings?

Hi guys,

I talked to my derm this morning about some flushings and asked for tetracyclin 500 mg 2 times a day. He said if I only have redness they didnt work, but he didnt mind giving it to me. I asked about macrolides and he said it was the same story, dont work. According to him antibiotics only help for pimples and nothing else. If so then antibiotics are useless. Why dont they recognise low dose isotretinoin against rosacea anywhere else than Italy? if they did we would see generics in 5 mg and 2.5 mg and Roche would enter this market as well for competitive reasons.

Remission from metrocream, yeah right Dr. Dahl! this brought your own rosacea into remission, didnt it?

Macrolide antibiotics have some antiangiogeneic effects. Also, the reduction on inflammation from them helps contain one's symptoms.

Tetracycline and, say, azithromycin are so far apart it's unreal.... If you have a bad case, go for macrolides and try them out. Doxy at 50mg/day or tetracycline at 1000mg/day and Noritate aren't very helpful for severe sufferers.

Fanta--if you want to avoid drugs, PM me about an adjunct low-level red-light therapy protocol. I can show you how to build your own...no commercial models are necessary.

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Fanta, Clarithromycin helped me immensely...my skin is much cooler, calmer and even toned. For me, decreased inflammation = decreased redness. Dosage was 3 weeks @ 500 mgs/day, tapering off this week @ 250 mgs/day as I am starting low-dose isotretinoin next week.

My case is actually similar to yours (super-harsh topical reaction), and this made me feel so much better for the first time in seven months.

I hope it works for you and that following up wi/ultra-low-dose istretinoin just buries this thing.

Im afraid I have gotten a bit too many blood vessels growing lately. October and November have really produced a lot of damage to the face. Last year it was the eyelids that got severly damaged, now its the nose. I did have a course of Clarithromycin 500 mg for 2 weeks (7th October till 23 October)..it didnt help a bit, actually it made my skin worse.

Ah that's tough...then maybe switching out to tetracycline would be good for you. Anything to cut that inflammation. I hope you can score some 5/2.5 mg isotretinoin soon.

well, I dont think it will work much, perhaps it will help the eyes a bit. I dont really want to switch to aziethromycin now cause I need to reserve that to possible serious infections in future (like pneumonia etc). I dont think its worth risking more resistance of staph and streptococci bateria. If I got a serious infection and I had overused all possible macrolides I would have a serious problem (like being 50 years back in time). 2 weeks of Clarithromycin 500 mg was OK, I have already been tested for helicobacter pylori and was negative...but you never know what happens.

I think the pharmaceuticals should pull themselves together and bring us some better drugs. VEGF is responsible for much of the damage of blood vessels, it makes them wider, more numerous and more sensitive to sun light. I dont really get why they dont focus on VEGF much more. If they blocked VEGF, we would probably reduce flushings by more than 50% and reduce the progression tremendously. They should have figured out long ago that this is somehow what makes isotretinoin so special (aprt from its inhibiting action on FGF and its strong anti-inflammatory action)

I wonder if rambazole will have similar positive effects (potent anti-inflammatory e.g.) as isotretinoin.

/JR