Thread: Google Ads

This user has been banned from this forum

Default Re: flushing and rosacea

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows
    Probably the primary theory on what causes rosacea is now the genetic vascular theory, which basically means that the heart of the rosacea beast is a disorder of the blood vessels at the microvascular level and is connected to flushing. You can read about this theory and its proponents at this url >

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/cause.html

I have written extensively about flushing at this url >

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/flushing.html

Many rosaceans are obsessed with avoiding flushing at all costs, including ETS, avoiding anything that may trigger a flush. See this url about ETS >

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/ets.html

If you haven't seen a dermatologist about your nose, I suggest you do and read this url >

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/rhinophyma.html

You may have pre-phymatous rosacea and you need to treat it if this is the case. Hope this helps.

Brady,

Good Editorial on ETS. I have a question for you that you may be able to shed some light on. Do you have any say in what Google Ads pop up on any place? It is my understanding that the creator of a Yahoo Group does have some say, especially if it goes against his or her philosophy. If one does have control, why would the Rosacea Support Yahoo Group be advertising "ETS surgery for Rosacea"? Any thoughts Brady as you have dealt with Google Ads in the past. Thanks.

I'll answer this. The google ads (Google AdWords/AdSense) are displayed after google spiders the page and extracts the keywords and then displays ad's based on those keywords. Website owners can block certain ads by specifing which URLs to block if they have access to the adsense account.

Default More on Google and affiliate programs

Geoffrey,
    Just to add a note to Warren's explanation about Google Ads. I first learned about Google Ads from Andrew Reid who was the first person I ever noticed in the rosacea world that had the Google Ad on his website. I asked him what that was all about. He informed me that it would help with the expenses of keeping his web site up and running and gave me the url explaining how to join >

http://www.google.com/services/adsense_tour/

The geniuses at Google have come up with the most elaborate advertising on planet earth. As Warren pointed out Google spiders the page and extracts the keywords and then displays ad's based on those keywords. A website owner has to go to his Google Adsense account and type in the url of any advertisment that should be blocked.

Adwords is where an advertiser must pay to have a website in the Google Adsense program that appears on millions and millions of websites. It isn't cheap. The geniuses at Goggle have set up every key word on a bid system and you will not believe what the current bid is on the keyword, rosacea, if I told you. And it is a pay per click program. If you give Google, say, $10,000 to advertise your new rosacea product, and bid on the word 'rosacea' or 'IPL' or whatever, your money will click away rather quickly but Google drives people to your web site by this method which has proven superior to any other advertising program yet conceived by anyone. Linkshare pales into insignificance when it comes to this program.

Anyone who has a Google ad on a website is receiving money. Google receives money. And the advertisers get visitors to their websites. The guys at Google are taking all this to the bank.

As to rosacea support Google ads, obviously yahoo has joined the Google adsense program and is making money off of the traffic going to r-s. The yahoo group owner has no control over Google ads on a yahoo group site. That is why yahoo gives free support groups and owners are subject to the yahoo agreement that allows advertising on the site. And remember that a person has to click on a Google ad which triggers the money chain. No click, no pay. The program is called pay per click.

Linkshare, which is another huge affiliate program pays only if the person who clicks actually buys something. To join Linkshare a company has to have a huge amount of money to become part of the Linkshare program.

There are hundreds of other affiliate programs since the internet is now pretty much driven by advertising. It has taken years to figure out how to keep the internet going but the geniuses in the advertising world have figured it out. It is the American capitalist system at its best, advertising.

And I figure all the search engines now are driven by advertising and are no longer really 'search' engines but are instead paid advertising search engines. Why would I say this? My website was shrinking in the search engines regulated to the back, say on page 50 or so. When I joined Google, now all of a sudden I am back towards the front. That is why your website is regulated to the back, because you are not playing the advertising game that has been set up. You want a good Google placement and it depends on whether you have a Google ad or not. Get it?

Northernlight.com used to be one of my favorite search engines. Then it went to paid searches which is a totally different concept that has not proven popular. Maybe one day it will catch on, but so far, Google is preferred by the majority and its price per share in the stock market proves the point.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Brady, why do you say that Dr. Nase's site is relegated to the back? Googling "Dr. Nase" gets me straight to his web site—that's a number one ranking. Ranking is determined by the number of hits one receives. I took out a Google ad to direct clients to my new site while waiting for URL to propagate on the net (3 - 6 month window), but it had no impact on traffic. However, one direct mail campaign + print ad sent it straight to the top as it accumulated hits. Links also affect ranking. I can only imagine Dr. Nase does not have to worry about getting enough hits to keep him right on top.

Default type in 'rosacea'

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa M
    Brady, why do you say that Dr. Nase's site is relegated to the back? Googling "Dr. Nase" gets me straight to his web site—that's a number one ranking. Ranking is determined by the number of hits one receives. I took out a Google ad to direct clients to my new site while waiting for URL to propagate on the net (3 - 6 month window), but it had no impact on traffic. However, one direct mail campaign + print ad sent it straight to the top as it accumulated hits. Links also affect ranking. I can only imagine Dr. Nase does not have to worry about getting enough hits to keep him right on top.
    Lisa,
    Sure. Type in my name and I come up first. Now type in 'rosacea' and see if you can find Dr. Nase's website? Notice that r-s comes up in fourth place. Now why would Google do that? If Dr. Nase placed a Google ad on his web site notice how he will come closer to the front. I checked the first 10 pages and I didn't notice his website. I did do a cursery look but I think you get the idea now. If you don't know about Dr. Nase, and only know you have rosacea and type in 'rosacea' the search engines are basically paid advertisment now, or, you could say are advertisment driven. There are a few exceptions (the NRS is listed first), but I think you get the idea. The dollar drives the internet search engines.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Brady, my point is respectfully that Google word ads are a great strategy but there are a number of ways to enhance ranking (many newsletters devoted to just this topic). Internet marketing is an art/science in a constantly changing landscape: creating appropriate metatags, meta description tags, alt text, quality of links are just the basics. PR strategy to get content to appropriate media links is even more important. Many more tactics. Way off topic now as Dr. Nase was bringing up a question of ethics, but I do agree with your basic premise—search engine optimization is key for any online business.

Default the web

Brady, my point is respectfully that Google word ads are a great strategy but there are a number of ways to enhance ranking (many newsletters devoted to just this topic). Internet marketing is an art/science in a constantly changing landscape: creating appropriate metatags, meta description tags, alt text, quality of links are just the basics. PR strategy to get content to appropriate media links is even more important. Many more tactics. Way off topic now as Dr. Nase was bringing up a question of ethics, but I do agree with your basic premise—search engine optimization is key for any online business.
    Yes. The internet is a constantly moving target which can get away from you unless you keep up. Sometimes, it is best just to settle down and concentrate on content. People see through all the advertisment and focus on what is important to them. But the cold hard facts is at the bottom line the internet is a business and entering it now a person has to pay money to be recognized. This wasn't the case ten years ago or even six years ago. I too figured Geoffrey was more interested in 'ethics' but needed some understanding of the driving force behind all this. Who will give you a free web site like yahoo groups unless there is something in it for yahoo? Very few altruistic people like that, but I guess one can find some freebies out there if one searches. It is a very big web.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

This user has been banned from this forum

Default Re: the web

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows
    Yes. The internet is a constantly moving target which can get away from you unless you keep up. Sometimes, it is best just to settle down and concentrate on content. People see through all the advertisment and focus on what is important to them. But the cold hard facts is at the bottom line the internet is a business and entering it now a person has to pay money to be recognized. This wasn't the case ten years ago or even six years ago. I too figured Geoffrey was more interested in 'ethics' but needed some understanding of the driving force behind all this. Who will give you a free web site like yahoo groups unless there is something in it for yahoo? Very few altruistic people like that, but I guess one can find some freebies out there if one searches. It is a very big web.

Thanks Brady and Lisa.

On a side note, my site was number 7 on Google for almost half a year. When you typed in rosacea it was always on the first page due to content, links and relevancy (adds were of no consequence because I never placed an add on my site); but this weekend I added four blank pages under Rosacea Advocate (and they have stayed blank throughout the week as I have been working on the Rosacea Forum first), I dropped down 3 days after I added the blank pages -- I was knocked down to page 10 -- as we all know now, search engines penalize you severely if you have under construction sites or blank pages. I learned this first hand, but was told I will jump back up to page 1 a few weeks after I finish my pages and get trolled. Strange and complex world out there isnt it?