Thread: question about noritate

Default question about noritate

i went to the dermatologist for the first time today!.. after waiting 6 months!!!.... she gave me some noritate cream.... is this safe to use.. i had a really bad reaction to metrocream wen i tried it!!.... she said that this would probablly be ok....but i want a second opinion.. has anyone used noritate with success after reacting badly to metro-cream? .. im getting some blood tests done... i dunno... i asked for clonide but she wouldn't give it to me.. she said ther were too many side affects ....
    thanx

I think it is very difficult to tell which products you might react to - Noritate is supposed to be one of the metrodiazonal products in the gentlest base as I recall. However, I was using Noritate when first diagnosed but after a short time (although it took me a while to figure it out) - it made me flush. Then I tried metrocream and that went OK for a while until it too made me flush. Currently I'm using Rosasol (and have been for about 6 months) and it seems to be fine. Go figure.

As to the clonidine, your regular doctor can prescribe it - that is who I get it from, not a dermatologist and I don't find any bad side effects - was a bit tired for the first couple of weeks but I understand that is normal.
    Diane
    Vancouver Island, BC

What's the best dose of clonidine? I've read that some people take 0.1mg, 3 times per day, but I've also heard other doses recommended. Is it just a matter of playing around a bit until finding the right dose for each individual?

I take .1 mg twice a day - but I started lower than that. I have heard many times that one must be careful with clonodine as it is blood pressure medication, but my doctor was comfortable enough that when I asked if I could experiment a bit with the dosage to see what worked best for me - he said OK.

Basically, I started out originally at .05 twice a day - then three times a day - finally I have settled upon the .1 mg x2 a day - one in the morning, one before bed and that works best for me.

I also believe that if you are someone who gets flushing at a particular time - late afternoon, or night etc - it can help to take the clonidine shortly before that normally happens.
    Diane
    Vancouver Island, BC

Default Re: question about noritate

Quote Originally Posted by rielynn
    i had a really bad reaction to metrocream wen i tried it!!.... she said that this would probablly be ok....but i want a second opinion
    You don't need a second opinion about the Metrocream. Just quit using it. Dr. Nase says never try to "fight through the irritation" when using topicals. Noritate gave me pimples, so did Metrocream. Why in the world would she say it was OK to have "a really bad reaction"? OK with her, maybe, not OK with you!