Thread: Omega 6 confusion

Default Omega 6 confusion

Hi, I saw posts about the balance between omega 3 & 6 for rosacea, but I have cystic acne too & I read that omega 6 can cause inflammation. Should I strictly be taking an omega 3 and forget about the 6 & 9 cause I'm taking triple omega with all three, but my cystic acne has been worse than ever and I have a feeling that the sudden increase of cystic lesions has been because of my recent test of so many supplements. Thanks. I appreciate it.

Hi.
    In my opinion you should try to reduce the intake of fat, yes. I do not see it as impossible that the omega 6-9 you take can aggrecate cystic acne.
    I know that I get acne lumps from eating olive oil for example.
    For the most part, the only fat I get in my diet is from sardines and some times mackerel and then flax seeds and oatmeal. Oatmeal has omega 6 fats, but you need SOME omega 6 , or else you will develop a deficiency. After all, omega 6 acids are AS essential as omega 3.

So maybe you could at least try to get capsules with just omega 3.

best wishes

Omega 6 is already abundant in the average diet and doesn't need to be taken as a supplement. The primary sources of omega-6 are corn, soy, canola, safflower and sunflower oil. Thus, the typical unhealthy Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio is 20:1 up to 50:1. Omega-3, found in flaxseed oil, walnut oil, and fish, is obviously in short supply in our diets and needs to be supplemented.

I completely agree with irishgenes. Omega 6 supplement is usless unless one suffers from omega 6 deficiency (wich is very rare in the western world). A recommended ration between omega 6 and omega 3 is 4:1 and the recommended total intake of essential fatty acids/day is 10-15g, which means that 2-3g omega 3/day is recommended. If you eat a lot of fatty fish, like mackerel, supplement is probably useless, but typical western diet is often short of omega 3, and in that case an extra supply is recommended.

/JR

How do I know if the Omega 3 supplement I'm taking is safe, they have all these warnings when you look up fish oils that they may be contaminated or is this just a sales pitch?
    Is this ok...I'm taking nature's bounty Omega-3 Fish Oil 1000 mg capsules. Its says on back that it has 1000 mg fish oil, 180 mg EPA, 120 mg DHA, and 300 mg of omega 3. That doesn't really make sense to me but anyways.. I take 2 capsules 3 times a day (6 total) and my eyes feel better already. Is this ok and safe? You can't overdose right?

A dose of 3-6 gm a day is usual, so you are OK. I have a subscription to Consumer Lab which rates supplements, and that brand is approved, which means it has the stated amount of active ingredient and does not contain any significant mercury. If I take a lot of fish oil and then take an aspirin, I will sometimes get a little bleeding under the skin. Just a few little red spots that fade out like a bruise. You are such a worrier that I thought I'd warn you about that! Some other people have mentioned the same thing happening to them.