Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have 10 & 20 mg accutane pills, help me make 2.5 mg...

Default I have 10 & 20 mg accutane pills, help me make 2.5 mg...

Compound pharmacies on Long island who I have spoken to say they are unable to make 2.5 mg pills & I def don't have the confidence in myself to do it, so is there someone I can send my accutane to by mail or something (trusting them) to make 2.5 mg pills if I pay them a fee??

This is my last resort for fighting cystic acne, facial, & ocular roscaea simultaneously.

Thanks, I appreciate it. -Chris

This user has been banned from this forum

I think they can provide it to you from a hospital. Hospitals have their own pharmacies capable of producing any drug. Some people dont fit into standard treatment and dosages, so they go to a hospital and get some custom-fit treatment. I think that 300 2.5 roaccutan tabs produced by Roche costs 1000 dollars, while if you made it from 40 mg tabs it would cost 100 dollars.
    Really there must be so many skilled compounding pharmacists waiting for making 100s of dollars rather easily.

Probably most hospitals already have isotretinoin, cyclosporine, prednisone, prednisolone in any form and dosage

Default Re: I have 10 & 20 mg accutane pills, help me make 2.5 m

Quote Originally Posted by YankeesRtheBest
    Compound pharmacies on Long island who I have spoken to say they are unable to make 2.5 mg pills & I def don't have the confidence in myself to do it, so is there someone I can send my accutane to by mail or something (trusting them) to make 2.5 mg pills if I pay them a fee??

This is my last resort for fighting cystic acne, facial, & ocular roscaea simultaneously.

Thanks, I appreciate it. -Chris

Chris,

I just called some compounding pharmacies and with the new regulations that have just passed, they are not touching accutane ever again because of the insurance and registration procedures. This is news to me.

I have called Roche to see if physicians wrote prescriptions and sent them through the pharmacy directly to Roche (which would be the best way) for 2.5 mgs or 5 mgs, would they make up batches for the patient. They said in the past they would seriously consider this, but they are in a tight headlock right now and will not consider it now.

I have to say that this is becoming a black-listed drug that will result in more suicides if derms stop prescribing it. BTW, more studies indicate that accutane does not cause suicidal thoughts or depression than studies that do. Most of the studies that do suggest there may be a connection uses patients who report depression and suicidal thoughts while on accutane, they take them off of it and they say they get better, then they put them back on and they say they get worse. What they should be doing is giving them the same exact outer pill covering and filling it with clear fluid to see if the patient reports depression or suicidal thoughts.

I think one life lost from suicides or depression that leads to suicide is one too many, but how about the 10's of millions of people's lives that this drug has saved in 30+ years. Those cystic acne patients, granulomatous rosacea and rhinophyma patients really have no other option.

I hope rambazole steps up to the plate.

Well, glad I live in Denmark, we dont have the same hysteria going on like in the US, UK, Norway and Sweden. We get the stuff directly from Basel, no bs. Its just hard to get the 2.5 mg tabs, but I think Ill get it anyway - otherwise Ill just have to stay in Germany or Italy three days every 3 months for a check-up and blood tests. No one can forbid me doing that but I think that the beneficial impact on my eyes may weigh high to the Danish FDA. Low dose accutane was a godsend for the eyes and the only thing stopping angiogenesis and bacteria infections in the eyes and thats quite important. That its also the only thing stopping the destruction of the skin is another matter, also important to me but not something the Danish FDA would care much about.

Guess the beta sistosterol didn't do much, huh, Chris? I tried it, too, and it really didn't help any more than the saw palmetto. A little less oily, but not good enough. Chris, it is not that hard to make the smaller doses of Accutane yourself. I mean, what is the worst that could happen? You might be taking a 2 or 3 mg. dose instead of a 2.5 mg, but so what? YOU CAN DO IT! Just get over your fear and try! Here is what our resident pharmacist-in-training said about the subject in a Sept. 25th post:
    __________________________________________________ __

Hi all,
    1)Take the capsule and soak in lukewarm water until it dissolves, leaving the inner orange "glob", floating on the surface. This is what you want. This is the "active ingredient". Again, as oil is lighter than water, it will float on the surface (the casule is water soluble so it dissolves in the gut).
    2)Put the container in the frig. until the orange "glob" becomes hard enough to "spoon" into a vacutainer tube. Transfer as little water as possible.
    3) Add the OIL of your choice (I have always used flaxseed oil) and mix.
    4) Serve yourself whatever dose increment you desire-eg- if you have mixed a 20mg "glob" with 10ml of Wesson Oil, then 25% would be approximately 5mg. Take with milk.
    5)Store room temp (and protected from light if desired)
    This formulation will be stable for a considerable time, but I usually make 1 weeks worth of dosing at a time.
    I repeat, this accutane-in-oil mixure will be stable. You will know this by realizing the consistent side effects that you have always had with isotretinoin-eg- dry lips, eyes, etc.
    Any questions, please ask,
    Perry
    __________________________________________________ __

I would like to ask Perry some questions, so I hope he sees this thread. Perry, since most of us don't have access to vacutainers, can't we just squeeze a capsule into a measured amount of oil without the refrigeration step? (Maybe use tweezers to stroke the capsule and be sure we get out every last drop. Or even cut it with manicure scissors to be sure it is all out.) Then draw up a measured amount of the mixture with a syringe? My syringe measures cc's. Is one cc equal to one ml? So if I have 40 mg. Accutane capsules and wish to make 2 mg. dose, how much oil should I use and how much of the mixture should I take each day?

Also, you say "protect from light if desired". Are you saying it doesn't really need to be protected from light because of the oil? I have some of those plastic dark amber pill bottles like you get at the drugstore; I guess that is what I would use. And would you need to shake the mixture before each withdrawal?

Hi Irish,
    Yes, 1cc equals 1ml.
    If I were you, this is what I would do to get approximately a 2mg dose via dilution of a 40mg gelcap:
    1) Choose an oil to use as the diluent (what the Accutane is to be mixed with). I use flaxseed oil.
    2) Spoon 19 (teaspoon, tablespoon, etc) of the oil into an opaque container. Any container, eg - a yogurt cup...anything that has a lid and has a wide enough mouth so you can easily spoon yourself the daily dose.
    3) Punch a hole in a gelcap, and squeeze the isotetinoin into the oil (I used to do it this way). Or you can dissolve the gelcap outer shell with water, leaving the inner glob of isotetinoin. Anyway, mix with the oil and there you go.
    4) Spoon yourself a dose (using the SAME size spoon that you initially used in step 2) and you should get an approximately 2mg dose. Chase with milk.
    Why did not spoon 20 "doses" of oil in making the batch? That would have been a perfect 2mg per serving, but I am accounting for wastage (eg that iso left on inside of capsule, etc).

Keep covered, at room temp, and protect from light (the reason for the opaque container). Now...I THINK that flaxseed oil is supposed to be refrigerated. I wouldn't worry about keeping it at room temp, however, as you are using it primarily to dilute the isotretinion, and not for its other uses.
    Note: I have used glass vacutainer tubes and refrigeration and have not noticed a decrease in efficacy of my home made batches.....
    Take care,
    Perry

Perry, have you patented your method?

Thanks, Perry. That makes it simpler. The only problem I could see is if using a thick oil that tends to cling to the measuring spoon so that you would wind up with less than 19 doses. I will probably use olive oil.

Thnaks Dr. Nase, Irishgenes, and Perry. After I'm finishsed with these lumenis one treatments I guess I'll try to make these smaller mg accutane capsules. BUT...my two main dilemmas are...

1.) 10 mg helped my acne and roscaea fairly fast and dried out my eyes fast too. If I take a 2.5 mg pill, it will take longer to have an effect on my cystic acne & rosacea symptoms than lets say a 10 or 20 mg course, so if it SLOWLY works on my cystic acne and roscaea, won't it SLOWLY dry out my already dry eyes too just like the 10 mg did at a faster pace?

2.) I'm on Doxycycline now for my eyes & my eye doctor never wanted me on accutane in teh first place, how would I treat my eyes during this, I'd have to stop Doxy.

And also...I hope my dermatolgist will work with me on this. Maybe I'll have to see my family doctor to work with me instead because it's such a tedious process.