Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin thinning and accutane - not sure its a concern

This user has been banned from this forum

Default Skin thinning and accutane - not sure its a concern

Im not sure that accutane should thin the skin at all at any dosage (be it 2.5 mg or 80 mg). It should only thin stressed skin like palm and feet so I dont think we should worry about this at all. Its probably OK to use more occlusive fatty creams after 3-4 months on a low dosage to strengthen and hold together the delicate dry and peeling epidermis. If this assumption indeed is true then rambazole could be a much better alternative than lasers. We just need to get this verified to produce some specific skin care guidelines for rosaceans on accutane or rambazole (future) - stress to delicate dry skin could indirectly explain all skin thinning from accutane (unlike that directly induced skin thinning from inflammation or steroids)

Well there are studies that conclusively show that the skin does thin whilst on accutane regardless of the dose.

Moreover, I have spoken with many acne sufferers who have taken accutane at doses upwards of 20mg/day and they have said that their skin had become extremely sensitive since taking the drug and that it seemed to have thinned it to some extent.

I think, however, that the word "thin" might not be right. I don't think the drug directly attack the epidermis of the skin and makes it thin. What happens is probably that accutane reduces the skin's lifecycle right down making growth and repair of the epidermal layers much slower. This means that any damage within these layers are likely to persist thus giving the impression that the skin has thinned due to its increased sensitivity.

I agree that accutane's version of "thinning" is not the same as skin atrophy that can be induced by steroids.

You cant find a single study saying accutane thins the skin - it creates a peeling and dryness effect as a result of decreased sebum production and toxic respond to vitamin A - this is the only thing Ive found.
    It may thin the hair and testicles for some bizarre reason - but still you can squeeze out a tadpole or two as a bald man, you just need to push

Default Re: Skin thinning and accutane - not sure its a concern

Quote Originally Posted by fanta
    Im not sure that accutane should thin the skin at all at any dosage (be it 2.5 mg or 80 mg). It should only thin stressed skin like palm and feet so I dont think we should worry about this at all.
    Well, since you say so, fanta, I will quit worrying! Seriously, I would like to believe that it doesn't, because I was on high-dose Acutane 3 times in years past. If it really thins the skin permanently, I should have no skin left.

I think its important to be gentle to the skin on accutane but I see only studies saying that tretinoin topicals should thin the skin. Also, I could imagine that an inflammatory response from isotretinoin could thin the skin. Inflammation is bad for the dermis, mast cells, lymphatic system, blood vessels, fibroblast, meibomian glands, sebaceous glands, local immune response and epidermis - accutane repairs all these things and therefore its great for us. Flushing get worse and worse the more imbalances in the skin, so we get a chance to decrease flushings and decrease downtime, substantially. On accutane your skin may get out of tact for 10 days, not 10 months or 10 years.

Dr. Nase is, I believe, the first one to post about isotretinoin leading to permanent skin thinning. I assume he has scientific studies to back this up. I just read the PDR and could not find this side effect listed in the prescribing information, though.

Quote Originally Posted by irishgenes
    Dr. Nase is, I believe, the first one to post about isotretinoin leading to permanent skin thinning. I assume he has scientific studies to back this up. I just read the PDR and could not find this side effect listed in the prescribing information, though.
    Yes I was referring to the studies that Dr. Nase posted where they measured the thickness of the epidermis in high and low-dose accutane users pre-treatment and post-treatment. The results showed both groups experienced epidermal thinning with the later group suffering from this side-effect to a much lesser degree.

There are many side-effects that aren't listed in the PDR.

I keep reading that low dose accutane is a gold standard treatment for certain types of rosacea, is this true? And if so, will thinning of the skin make it worse over time? I have very over active sebacous glands which leads to a very oily face, papules and pustules and nose swelling in the morning. Would low dose accutane be ok to me.

Prometheus, this is the best thread I have read on the subject: http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewto...434&highlight= ("Accutane: Why to Use it & How to Use it for Rosacea" by Dr. Nase)

Is there any post that lists the names of these clinical studies and their actual abstracts because I desperately need these to show to my derm or else he is highly unlikely to even consider my request for accutane?

The link you posted where Dr. Nase talks about accutane is probably not going to cut it with the derm, he wants to see actual studies and now I'm stressing out trying to find them..

Thanks guys

EDIT: I just realised that there are numbers on next to the medical evidence that Dr. Nase listed in that post. Surely these would correspond to the clinical studies/abstracts, hopefully I can get hold of these pleeease?