Thread: accutane dryness, does it depend on daily dosage?

This user has been banned from this forum

Default accutane dryness, does it depend on daily dosage?

Hi folks,

I experienced two problems with accutane.

1) irritation of blood vessels at 10 mg every other day
    2) extreme dryness of epidermis

Basically I had a white nose or close to white nose throughout the period on accutane, however my skin got extremely sensitive, also my cheeks got involved (my cheeks dont get involved in rosacea when Im on antibiotics). Every time I washed I got red for 1-2 hours. Now on Clarithromycin 500 mg XL some fibrosis progresses and there is close to no effect on swelling. Also the anti-inflammatory effect is much weaker than on accutane 10 mg every other day.

So, I plan to pursue 2.5 mg per day - probably problem 1) is over, but dont know about 2)

DOES SKIN DRYNESS FROM ACCUTANE DEPEND ON DAILY DOSAGE OR ACCUMULATED DOSAGE?

This really isn't looking very promising. Before I couldn't wait to get on low dose accutane but now it seems like there are the same side-effects waiting for me as there are for those on high dosages.

However, previous usage+dose strength could be an influencing factor here. Didn't you previously take 40mg/day or quite a high dose prior to your low dose which may have induced some level of sensitivity in your vessels.

It really frustrates me when my face is red after just washing it with water and stays red for some time. Why can't it be stronger?

Fanta, I think even 2.5mg/day would be quite a lot for you; maybe you should take 1mg/day or 2.5mg every 2-3 days?

well, I would probably tolerate 2.5 mg pills, but Im not sure about the dryness. Perhaps, it wont dry out the skin as much on 2.5 mg, dont really think so. It might help if isotretinoin just dont disturbe the blood vessels, then I might tolerate moisturizers again. Ive been extremely submissive for the last half year, except for the black head I squezed - but the reaction and damage from this showed me how important submissive behaviour is for me. After all, there isnt any better treatment of rosacea than trigger avoidance. I dont think that lasers are an option for me with rhinophyma coming and with seb derm, its too complicated. Perhaps a pulse dye expert is what I need with my bad epidermis, but what does it help when we only hear about IPL and YAG lasers here

For some strange reason, I have NO dryness on 20mg up from 10mg daily. What are you guys washing your face with? Are you using hot water? I am using lukewarm to cool, and the La Roche Posay toleraine soap (recommended for men, actually!) or MD Forte Replenishing Cleanser (recommended for those on acne therapies). The replenishing cream is good too.

Maybe these would be good to try, guys.
    Signature bio:
    I was on accutane 30 years ago as a research patient; the problem returned in 2003. Now, I am on 20mg isotretinoin, once a day...improving.

Well somehow dryness was good for the rosacea. At the more dry days I had my rosacea in complete remission. Normally when I soak up sebum on my skin the redness decreases drmatically, like the sebum reacts strongly to the skin. I just got too dry on accutane that my delicate skin collapsed. I didtnt have the cetaphil soap bar for gentle skin back then so perhaps it would have helped letting the accutane work and not used any skin care product drying out my skin.

My skin was less dry on 10 mg every other day than on 10 mg every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    My skin was less dry on 10 mg every other day than on 10 mg every day.
    That's great to hear Neil! I bet also that you haven't had many/any prior courses of accutane before the one you are now on?

I think skin dryness depends on inflammation (when the skin is little inflammed then you are dry, its a dilemma hard to deal with). So if Bettina was less dry on 20 mg then she probably had more inflammation at this dosage, and if Neil was more dry on 10 mg every other day he probably had more inflammation than at 10 mg every day. Thus, perhaps 10mg per day was the right dosage for both Bettina and Neil

I was on 10 mg a day for about four months followed by 10 mg every other day for nine months. All symptoms (redness, pimples, sensitivity) disappeared over this time. Three years later, some symptoms have returned. I'm thinking of doing another course of 10 mg every other day. My skin was definitely less dry on 10 mg every other day than on 10 mg daily.