Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad rosacea foods; Good rosacea foods

Default Bad rosacea foods; Good rosacea foods

I think it might be helpful if we made a list of all the foods that can cause rosacea to worsen or increase flushings and foods that can help repair your skin and strengthen blood capillaries.

BAD:

•Raw Garlic - as soon as I eat raw garlic I can feel my capillaries on my face dilating and they immediately start to leak causing my face to flush and go blotchy red.

•Chillis - the same as above; chillis cause me to flush quite heavily.

•Tomatoes - these don't give me as bad a reaction as the previous two but I know they do increase the leakiness of my capillaries to some degree.

•Aubergines - same effect as tomatoes.

•Chicken - if I eat a lot of chicken in one go I'm sure I will increase my chances of a flush

•Fast food, (partially) hydrogenated foods, packaged foods - definite no no's if you want to be healthy so in turn if you don't consume these it will help your skin in the renewal process.

•Cheese - definitely increases chances of flushing

•Alcohol - everybody's favourite drink but our skin/liver's most hated ; stay away as much as you can!

•Soft drinks/fizzy drinks/pop - full of refined sugar and not good

•Orange juice - I have noticed that drinking orange juice can induce a flush but it may be due to sugar spikes as the OJ is never 100% pure however I'm not sure.

GOOD:

•Any type of berries; blue, black, red etc. - these are full of bioflavonoids ("vitamin P") which supposedly strengthen the blood capillaries

•Blackcurrants and cherries - same as previous

•Apricots, cantaloupes, grapefruits, grapes, oranges and lemons - same as previous (excellent bioflavonoids!)

•Green tea/other unrefined teas - fulls of polyphenols which are great antioxidant that prevent blood capillary damage

•Pine bark/pynogenol - of course don't eat trees but you can make teas from this even if it tastes a bit rancid. Most prefer taking capsules instead.

•Licorice - flavonol

•Chocolate that contains 100% cocoa - potent bioflavonoid (funny how everyone says chocolate is bad for you when they should say chocolate that isn't 100% cocoa produced and does not contain added sugar, corn syrup, milk fats / dairy cream, hydrogenated oils is not going to be very beneficial)

•Celery, parsley, red bell peppers, chamomile, mint, ginko biloba - all flavones

•Milk Thistle, propolis - flavanolols

•Beets, plums, hawthorn - contain the flavonoids anthocyanins that are precursors to Proanthocyanins which are great for capillaries

•Apple, pear, red beans - contains flavonoids proanthocyanidins that are also good for capillaries

•Horse Chestnuts - contain flavonoids, sterols, and tannins

•lettuce (unrefined), basil leaf, kale, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi (shoot), spinach (leaf), asparagus, fennel - all rich in flavonoids!

•Herbs Rich in Flavonoids: dill, thyme, basil, cayenne (be careful), coriander, peppermint, anise

Well that's as many as I can name at the moment. It would be great if you could add to the list indicating which foods you find great for your skin and which foods exacerbate your rosacea/flushing. Please say whether any foods on the above "good" list actually cause you problems and vice-versa with the "bad list".

I think this is definitely useful for new-comers to rosacea.[/b]

For me, cayenne pepper is the worst of all triggers! My face has gone from red to purple in a matter of seconds. I've had to ice my face to get it to settle down. It's especially frustrating when you're hungry and just want to eat, not fool around with taking care of a flush.

Anything with vinegar = bad for rosacea.

Good idea Bradley.

Just to add. Obviously anything with cafeine in is a big no no. Also many cereals contain niacin which can be a nightmare for us flushers.

Default food list

No one, including me, has ever come up with a food and drink list that in every case triggers rosacea in every rosacean. No single food or drink has ever come up that triggers rosacea in every rosacean. Remember the X-Factor >

http://www.rosaceans.com/html/xfactor.html

While such lists may prove helpful to some, there are always rosaceans who say, 'I can eat cayenne pepper and it doesn't do anything to my rosacea," and this can be said of EVERY food and drink. But the lists keep coming up and the NRS has set the lead in the food and drink trigger lists.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Naturally Brady this is not a complete guide for all rosaceans but at least it is a starting point for some and I'm sure many will find it useful. The X-factor can be applied to anything really because in every case of life there are variables so if we just assume we are all different and are affected differently we won't generate any patterns. Without patterns, helping rosacea sufferers cut out triggers can be very hard n.b. see allergy sufferers it is the exact same case. Allergy sufferers all have their own bespoken triggers and yet when you look at the allergy population as a whole there are common triggers that almost always come up such as nuts, eggs, dairy, wheat etc.

So I think this is most useful and even more beneficial if we don't agree with all of each others' triggers because for the few that we are likely to agree with will provide us with some relevant patterns.

Yogurt=Bad =;

This user has been banned from this forum

Fanta = Good

This user has been banned from this forum

Quote Originally Posted by irishgenes
    Yogurt=Bad =;

I have often heard that yogurt is bad? But I never understood why? I thought yogurt would actually be good if you were taking antibiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by fanta
    Fanta = Good
    Fanta=O (That's a halo in case you can't tell!)

Prometheus, yogurt is good from the probiotic standpoint, but bad because it is a high histamine food, which induces flushing in many. I take an antihistamine on days I plan to eat it.