Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile phone and skin rashes/rosacea...help

Default Mobile phone and skin rashes/rosacea...help

I'm really hoping someone has an idea of what I have experienced because it is the first time I have seen these symtoms before. The other day I had just finished a conversation on my mobile phone (that lasted for around 25mins) and went to have dinner. While I was eating I happened to catch my reflection in the mirror and to my shock I had this kind of red rash predominantly on the left side of my face towards the upper cheek. The other parts of my face seemed okay compared to my cheek. I thought I must have eaten something wrong or that I was sensitive/allergic to some food I had eaten but again the next day I experienced the same red rash on the same side of my face after having a conversation on my mobile (I hold my phone on my left ear) and I hadn't eaten anything.

So far it has happened three times on three separate occasions after using my phone recently. This is crazy, can this truly be possible that my phone is causing me to break-out in a rash in the same place? I've been using this phone for almost 5 years now and have not once experienced a rash before these ones?

Moreover why is only the upper cheek affected? My lower part of my cheek doesn't go red like the upper part. My ear doesn't turn red either? What is going on?

I'm really worried because either my blood capillaries have become so sensitive that they just leak immediately OR do you think since it is an old-ish phone it could be emitting higher levels of micro-waves and may be damaged because I had dropped it a few times?

God this is depressing, things just keep getting worse.

I'm going to try it with my hands-free set and see whether that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance guys, I've searched the net but haven't found much regarding this issue. Furthermore I haven't really seen it discussed here before so would be great if any of you more knowledgable people know any answers...please.

When you talk on a cell phone for an extended period of time, the phone becomes hot. This could possibly causing the rash/flush on your cheek. Get an "ear bud" thing - you know, the hands-free things. I have one and I don't have to hold a hot phone to my ear anymore. I love it.

Hi nikki, thanks for such a quick response My phones only gets hot when I use it for more than 45-50mins. The times when I experienced the rashes the phone was not hot (I used it for around 25-30mins). It wasn't the same as a heat-induced flush because usually you can feel your face become warmish and tingles a bit. The rash totally surprised me because I felt nothing and my skin wasn't hot.

I do experience hives which is mainly a result of food allergies so I know when I have eaten something wrong as I usually feel a slight itchy sensation locally on the skin. This rash wasn't itchy either.

So I totally don't understand what caused it

Yep I'm going to try out my hands-free set to see if that works.

This user has been banned from this forum

I think it was the lust center that got activated in the brain, Bradley stop calling those numbers I gave you, I just wanted to help bob bear =;

Yeah, when I talk o nthe phone for extended periods I get the same deal. But I do think it is caused by the heat generated by the phone and your hand. That earbid piece is a good idea, I should get one of those too.

Could also have something to do with the so much debated (at least over here where every man, woman and child have had their own cell phone for years now) radiation from cell phones. Here's one of many interesting articles to read on this subject: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...radiation2.htm

you dont need to talk in cell phone, just SMS or e-mail people, talking in phone is annoying forboth parties, god how many years we waste on pouring out crap in the phone, and on the internet

This is a great subject because no one in the world including 99.9% of the physicians would ever understand it.

This is a very common phenomenon. Not that this places any ease on your shoulders, but it happens to many. There are, as always, many possibilities. But, here are the most likely.

1. The hot air from your breath on the receiver is bounced back against your face, causing a slow unperceivable build up of heat that slowly activates heat-sensitive sensory neurons -- inducing a flush. Headsets may help if this is the case.

2. Subconscious activation of the Motor centers of the brain (motor speech production). When you talk for a long time, PET scans show massive increases in blood flow in this area ....... which is hot wired to the hypothalamus -- our old friend the flushing center. Sipping on cool water while talking or slushies will help counter this reaction in most.

3. Activation of the Limbic system -- The brain center of emotions. I know of very few conversations over the phone that dont involve some type of emotion. Emotions are tied in once again to the hypothalamus and the slow release of hormones or activation of nerves can cause that flush after long talks.

4. Of course, the unkown.

If you ever have the chance to purchase in inexpensive slushy maker, they are life savers. On the phone, during dinner, with friends, in alcohol.etc. The cold water is not enough and you dont want to annoy people by constantly crushing on ice. The slushy stays in your mouth for a long period of time and directly activates great masses of sympathetic constrictor fibers that tell the brain to shut off dilatory signals. Its not perfect, but it helps. If you cool down the inside of your mouth, I can almost guarantee that most of you will find it much harder to flush. You can also talk with some slushy in your mouth.

Just be sure its not an 'all sugar squishy', or else you'll be in a world of hurt.

Actually, Iv had this very same thing - been speaking on the phone for 30mins +, and my ear and cheek are flushed afterwards. I figured it was the heat, as a similar thing can happen when lying with the face on a pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bear
    Just be sure its not an 'all sugar squishy', or else you'll be in a world of hurt.

Actually, Iv had this very same thing - been speaking on the phone for 30mins +, and my ear and cheek are flushed afterwards. I figured it was the heat, as a similar thing can happen when lying with the face on a pillow.

Hi Bob,

That is the case with most -- just look at your ears after you are done or the side of your cheek. The wonderful thing about rosacea is that if the stimulus is great enough, collateral blood flow and neural connections can propagate this one sided local flushing response to the other side and really make you scratch your head.

Big bob bear -- I guess that means honey is out. How do you survive chief?