Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accutane and Scaring

This user has been banned from this forum

Default Accutane and Scaring

What kind of scaring have most people realized while being on accutane (those that have suffered through initial break outs)? red marks, indents? What is the healing time?

What do you do about white heads given the slow healing process? Pop them? clip the top? just walk around with a white head?

Thanks,
    Trey

Default Re: Accutane and Scaring

Quote Originally Posted by clsykes00
    What kind of scaring have most people realized while being on accutane (those that have suffered through initial break outs)? red marks, indents? What is the healing time?

What do you do about white heads given the slow healing process? Pop them? clip the top? just walk around with a white head?

Thanks,
    Trey

Hey McNabb,

Excellent question that never gets addressed in the literature. Accutane alters fibroblast activity which is involved in healing of the skin and also is involved in rhinophyma skin thickening to some degree.

When fibroblasts are regulated with almost any dose of accutane it is unwise to ever pick or pop anything on your face. What dermatologist recommend for isolated cysts, pustules, papules or white heads is spot application of the acne drying agents in the center of the skin bump. Apply with a q-tip for accuracy. This works quite well for isolated bumps and is very safe.

Oakland baby.

Keep us posted Trey.

Quote Originally Posted by drnase

Thanks,
    Trey

Hey McNabb,

Excellent question that never gets addressed in the literature. Accutane alters fibroblast activity which is involved in healing of the skin and also is involved in rhinophyma skin thickening to some degree.

When fibroblasts are regulated with almost any dose of accutane it is unwise to ever pick or pop anything on your face. What dermatologist recommend for isolated cysts, pustules, papules or white heads is spot application of the acne drying agents in the center of the skin bump. Apply with a q-tip for accuracy. This works quite well for isolated bumps and is very safe.

Oakland baby.

Keep us posted Trey.
    McNabb to Westbrook (would say TO given the all star nature, but I just don't like his personality),

So I should expect scaring from accutane? This is never easy is it?

I am having the worse rosacea days ever. Mostly because I feel like im starting to regress after 8 IPLs (which were good for me but I don't want to move backwards). I am going to try to wait out the 3 to 6 months after IPL to get on accutane but this may be tough. What is the downside to going on accutane earlier than the time required to let vessels and the skin to heal?

Thanks so much again and Oaktown is goin down my friend!

Best,
    Trey

Quote Originally Posted by drnase

Thanks,
    Trey

Hey McNabb,

Oakland baby.

Keep us posted Trey.
    McNabb to Westbrook (would say TO given the all star nature, but I just don't like his personality),

So I should expect scaring from accutane? This is never easy is it?

I am having the worse rosacea days ever. Mostly because I feel like im starting to regress after 8 IPLs (which were good for me but I don't want to move backwards). I am going to try to wait out the 3 to 6 months after IPL to get on accutane but this may be tough. What is the downside to going on accutane earlier than the time required to let vessels and the skin to heal?

Thanks so much again and Oaktown is goin down my friend!

Best,
    Trey

Trey,

Sorry, I am a little confused. Are you taking accutane and getting IPL treatments at the same time?

The downside has too much of a risk. Horrible keloid or hypertrophic scarring. Very common. To disuade you from this, please Google, Hypertrophic scars and photos or keloid scars and photos. You will stop right there. Sorry for being blunt, but this is an almost irreversible reaction on your face.

Trust me, I sat there and twiddled my thumbs on accutane waiting for laser. Same thing crossed my mind, but the odds of something happening are too great.

E-A-G-L-E-S.

What if you have mild Rosacea, smooth skin, just red - if you take low dose accutane, you can get a scarred up complexion?? - That sounds like the cure is much worse then the affliction..

NO, you can only get scarring if you squeeze an acne formation or a pastule. You will not get any scarring fro just taking accutane if your skin is free fro acne and you do not pick on your skin.
    However, I have not noticed slowed healing. I am on a little under 1 mg daily, and it does not kill off acne as well as it reduces sebum. SO I apply a benzoyl peroxide gel on spots.

I am considering going off accutane and in stead focus on keeping my diet tight. That will be better since I am a lot involved in sport, so I need to have a fine tuned body.

I wish they would have something as effective as accutane but with no side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCity
    What if you have mild Rosacea, smooth skin, just red - if you take low dose accutane, you can get a scarred up complexion?? - That sounds like the cure is much worse then the affliction..

No, this would not happen. Acutally just saw Buster's comment. Listen to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster
    NO, you can only get scarring if you squeeze an acne formation or a pastule. You will not get any scarring fro just taking accutane if your skin is free fro acne and you do not pick on your skin.
    However, I have not noticed slowed healing. I am on a little under 1 mg daily, and it does not kill off acne as well as it reduces sebum. SO I apply a benzoyl peroxide gel on spots.

I am considering going off accutane and in stead focus on keeping my diet tight. That will be better since I am a lot involved in sport, so I need to have a fine tuned body.

I wish they would have something as effective as accutane but with no side effects.

Buster,

Pretty high realistic hopes that Rambazole will do the job.

you had a great comment that intrigued me. Sebum excretion. Are you compounding the 1mg a day and you said this had a very good effect on sebum plugs in the pores? This would be extremely useful information as I know no one or any study using 1 mg for acne or rosacea. You are the first my man. The rosaceagroup.org will name a star in the sky after you. The Buster star. Pretty ominous.

I think many people have attributed accutane to scarring when in fact it only appears as if that's the case because the scarring reveals itself once the accutane clears up the acne. Not sure what the story is for rosacea, but I think so long as you keep your hands away from your face you'll be okay. No picking, scratching, squeezing. They are the major causes of scarring, not accutane. IME & IMO
    ---------------------------
    Currently using skinbiology copper peptides

I have been using 2.5 mgs pr day for around 1 month, and 1 mg for around 3 weeks, and I have somewhat dry lips and sebum plugged in the pores has gone down. I use cutanix DRL and the Calm Cool and Corrected from Dermadoctor. These also help to reduce sebum.
    The effect on acne as I mentioned is not so much that I can afford to not pay a lot of attention to diet. Let me say that this is the case with sebum as well. I know that if I sat down and ate a pint of ice cream now, my sebum levels would sky rocket and I would get acne the next day.

I think that if I took 10 mgs every day, there would be a stronger effect.
    It is a case of what kind of toxicity is acceptable and how sensitive ones body are to the isotretionoin overload.

I notice Rambazole, and it sounds promising. No side effects and as effective as accutane? Ill have to check the info on that.