Thread: The burning question –IPL, how to know when we are cooked

Default The burning question –IPL, how to know when we are cooked

So – for those who have successfully gotten into remission with IPL/Laster or for some of the medically minded here:

How do you know when you have gotten as good a results as you are going to and ought to switch to maintenance mode?

Hi KHM,

Like all things to do with rosacea, each person's story is as individual as their response, so the best I can do is share my experience.

When I first started IPL, my doc treated me weekly as he saw how much pain I was in and he knew we had to take things gently but as quickly as possible to gain some sort of control and stability.

We then extended this to fortnightly treatments, then monthly treatments, 6 weekly treatments and the place I am now which is bi-monthly.

How did I know when to space my treatments further apart? When I saw the flushing decreasing, the elimination of all diffuse redness, removal of all visible vessels, elimination of p&p's, cystic lesions etc, the fact that I no longer spontaneously flush anymore, when I do flush it subsides quickly, my neural burning has decreased dramatically, I can participate in many activities that were impossible prior to IPL, my skin can tolerate many more safe topicals and makeup as opposed to just water, when I started getting compliments again, the fact that I can actually see and feel changes for the best when I look at myself and so much more.

Instinctively, I knew within myself when I was comfortable to space my treatments further apart and will continue to assess myself in this way, according to the results my doc achieves. I've also kept a journal, so I can actually remember the exact changes I notice and when they occur.

I would say that if you are still experiencing flushes, then there is always room for improvement and it may not necessarily be IPL but most probably if flushing is still bothering you, then try and get as much clearance as possible from IPL. Alot of people just don't have the money etc to pursue further IPLs so sadly many stop when they are so close to getting great clearance.

As contrived as it may sound, but you will definitely know if it is time to space treatments further apart or not eg a) Do IPLs continue to improve your condition hence perhaps negating the need for more frequent IPLs b) have you reached a stale mate with this particular doctor and perhaps it may be worthwhile researching other IPL docs if you have not had the desired results c) are you actively attacking your rosacea from every angle and d) do you feel psychologically comfortable to move into maintenance mode.

Although not as esoteric as love, you'll know when it's the right time. You will definitely know if you are moving forward, going backwards or reached a plateau and this can be a good guide as to what else to do or try. All of us reach clearance at drastically different times so trust your instinct and reflect how much improved your lifestyle is.

It's taken me a very long time to reach my pre rosacea state, but I do not hesitate to have a tx if I feel I need to. I am extremely vigilant and I know when it is time for another tx, however I am hoping to extend my IPL txs even further.

I think if rosacea no longer impacts on your quality of life, you are sastisfied with your results and you are happy, then this is a good starting point which will provide you with answers as to whether eonough is enough.

I've often pondered this question and as long as I get continued success and a step forward with each tx, then that's cool with me.

I'm sure that the medically minded will further expand on your question.

Mermaid

This user has been banned from this forum

how many treatments have you had? you said you had 21 this Winter so by now you should have had 40-50 treatments. Aint there a limit to how many laser treatments the skin tolerates?

Quote Originally Posted by fanta
    how many treatments have you had? you said you had 21 this Winter so by now you should have had 40-50 treatments. Aint there a limit to how many laser treatments the skin tolerates?
    Fanta,

I have no problem if someone wishes to question something I have said in the past and of course I will gladly answer any questions that someone may have now, but I think it is rude and disrespectful to come to your own conclusions without first consulting me to see if you have the correct facts.

40-50 treatments? How did you come to guessing this number, pick a number between 1 and 100? I do not communicate with you privately so how did you come to such a ludicrous figure?

As for skin tolerance, all I will say is the very thing that everyone already knows, which is, we are all different and every person's rosacea responds differently.

For the record, it is my face and my money and as long as I am seeing continued clearance with each treatment, then I think it is none of your business as to how many treatments I desire to have in the future. I trust my doctor and I trust myself. I know what I can and can not tolerate and what is good for me. It may not suit others but so it goes.

While I've got your attention Fanta, I wonder if perhaps you can answer 3 questions for me.

1) Have you yourself had any IPL treatments and what was the outcome?
    2) Why is it that you cyberstalk me wherever I go and make ridiculous comments either on the forum or through private messages?
    3) Do you plan on creating havoc, confusion and mayhem on this board, as you have recently done on ESFB?

If you have something valuable to contribute about rosacea, then it is most welcome, otherwise I suggest you keep it to yourself.

Mermaid