Thread: IPL and Spider veins

Question IPL and Spider veins

Dear Forum,

I have an appointment for my first IPL consultation tomorrow. However, after reading through the information here, I am already skeptical. I have two visible clusters of spider veins I want to get rid of, and am beginning to realize IPL will probably be a waste of money. From what I have read, the most bang for the buck I'm going to get is through v-beam with purpura. It sure is a headache, though. I can't seem to find anyone that offers v-beam in my area. Is IPL effective on tangelectasia, or should I cancel the appointment and continue my search for v-beam?

Thanks

Hi! I had a cluster of spider viens on my left cheek and they disappeared after my first IPL - I've had 7 more IPLs since then but waited 8 months between my 7th and 8th and they still did not a reappear. Hope this helps only one persons experience.....
    Jen

I've not had IPL. However, I've done hundreds of hours of lay research on treatment for telangiectasia and from what I can tell, IPL falls short of PDL and KTP laser treatments. I believe that IPL treatments can clear or improve minor telangiectasia but many treatments are needed (okay, so it seems that's not always the case). The same or better result can be achieved through PDL or KTP which - as well as using optimal wavelengths for facial veins - are more powerful (which is why those lasers are regulated more than most IPLs - in the UK at least). I qualify that by saying that I am no medical professional or physicist. But I don't think you have to be to come to those conclusions - there is a wealth of clinical study in support of it. Hospitals in the UK use the PDL and KTP for telangiectasia and PWS.

I think it will depend on the experience of the person doing the treating and the filters that they will be using. IPL can be useful in the right hands.

Thanks a lot. I will talk to the doctor and see how I feel about it. I might give it a shot. I'm kind of anxious to at least get a couple of treatments pretty soon, because I'm supposed to start Accutane in January. The doctor is supposedly pretty experienced with IPL, so I might be able to get some results, even though I would prefer KTP or V-beam for the thread veins.

I don't have three grand to spend on 8 IPL treatments, though. I'm a college student, and I feel like these prices should be tiered based on income or something. Oh well. It is what it is. Maybe I should at least check with my insurance company to see if I can get some sort of compensation.

Thanks again,

Nathan