Thread: Jane Iredale's Absence Oil Control Primer

Default Jane Iredale's Absence Oil Control Primer

Hello Ladies,
    Have any of you with rosacea and oily skin tried this product?Bare Minerals made my face itch,so I bought Jane Iredale's pressed minerals compact.So far,so good.But,I get a shiny face in a few hours no matter what makeup I use.I thought an oil control primer might help.Any thoughts appreciated!Thanks,
    Denah

Default Oil Control Primer

Is the primer made by Jane Iredale? I have very oily skin too but most primers either haven't helped or have non-rosacea friendly ingredients. Have you tried oil-blotting papers?

Hi karla,
    Jane Iredale does make this.I use the oil blotting papers.I have the active ingredients below;how do they look to you?
    ethyl macadamiate,mica,dimethicone,isododecane,hydrated silica,euphorbia cerifera,(candeililla),waz,boron nitrate,iron oxides,algae
    extract,laminaria saccharine (seaweed) extract,viola odorate(violet),leaf extract,carnellia oleifer(green tea) leaf extract,punica granatum
    pomegranate extract tribehenin, bisabolol,and tocopheryl acetate.
    Jane Iredale's site says the mica is in a form that doesn't cause shine.
    I just bought her pressed minerals compact last Saturday.I have worn it
    every day and no itchy face yet.I am still in my trial period with it, so I
    won't be adding anythiing else until I am sure I can tolerate her makeup.
    Denah

I did not have luck with this. The Iredale rep at the spa I purchased it from said it may not be as effective for large pores/severely oily skin. They did suggest to use over foundation, but this did not work either. I was able to return it.

I say give it a try if they will let you return it. It could just be my skin.

I tried this as well for the same reason that you want to--because my face would get so oily. This is the one Jane Iredale product that I had no luck with. I had to rub to get it on and that hurt my skin and all it ever did was blotch up. It was an expensive trial. I did not get to return mine.
    - Rachel Rose

Hi Crescent Moon,

Although I have not tried any of Cory Cosmetic's Primers, I do however love all her other products especially the mineral foundations and finalizers.

The following is from Cory's website explaining the actions of Primers and if it is something which may help you. One bonus is that you can buy samples so you can try before you buy. Here is her explanation of her Primers:

-pure formulas made with Kaolin Clay & Zinc Oxide

-clay & zinc oxide serve as super strength oil & toxin absorbers

-provides superior protection from UVA/UVB's harmful rays & draws toxins & impurities directly from your skin

-tinted with trace amounts of neutral color to balance out skin tone

-help control oily break through & acne breakouts

-protect the skin from free radicals

-provide superior perspiration control during those dog days of summer, hot flashes or humid environments

-naturally draws out the toxins & unsavory elements from deep within the surface of your skin, resulting in cleaner, clearer skin

'Our Primer Powders are designed for those who suffer from oily skin. Those who suffer from oily skin have special needs & requirements to keep their skin healthy & need extra help to keep their cosmetics from 'sliding' off .. 5 minutes after they have applied them.. Our primer powders are made of natural kaolin clay & zinc oxide .. both known for their superior absorption abilities & extra protection properties .. that when used before foundation application can significantly reduce oily breakthrough'.

She continues with the following. 'A personal note .. I suffer from seasonal (spring & summer) oily breakouts and have typical combo skin (oily t-zone) during the rest of the year .. during the most humid times of the year .. I usually wear a combination of primer powders to help with the oil slicks, provide a medium coverage & conceal redness (equalizer primer powder, medium primer powder or balancer primer) & I have had really good luck with this combination of primers. Although I would love to give the primer powders complete credit for my recent success of controlling this oily skin issue ..but I can not! Unfortunately as it goes with any special needs skin case .. other items of habit and convenience were needed to changed also .. my first and personally the most important struggle that I have to contend with was my skin care habits .. The first thing I was forced to change was how I cleansed my face (I cleanse twice a day/everyday) .. I have recently (because of this issue) created natural gentle cleansing gel that contains no harsh sulfates to strip my skin of it's natural protection .. my second & third thing I was forced to change was the type of toner & moisturizing oil I was using .. again being inspired to create a synergetic blend of complimenting toners & moisturizing facial oils ( I use my Solace Solution System) .. my forth item was not something I changed .. it just is something that I added to my oily skin regime .. and that is weekly clay mask treatments, also newly created .. I am very happy to report that after changing my skin care & usage of my primer powders I have been very successful controlling my oily issues so far this season'.

Primer Powder Ingredients

All of our primer powders contain: kaolin clay, zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, iron oxides & may contain trace amounts of ultra marines ...

Her products can be found at www.corycosmetics.com

Mermaid

Hi Mermaid & Denah,

I'm not sure on those primer ingredients, some look fine, others not familiar, but Mermaid probably knows.

I've been researching mineral makeup, not being satisified fully with the ID Bare Min. because the setting powder contains parabens.

Mermaid, do you know if Corey's rice powder contains any parabens or preservatives? The product glossary on her website didn't list rice powder and several other companies like Youngblood have rice powder in there setting product but it also contains parabens.

Thanks

Karla

Hello Karla,

I'm not sure if you chanced upon this particular page on Cory's website. It gives a full list of ingredients which she uses in her mineral makeups. When you click onto an ingredient, it redirects you to a glossary page which will give you a full explanation of exactly what that particular ingredient is and it's relevance. The site is:

http://www.corycosmetics.com/whats_in_our_cosmetics.htm

I am almost 100% sure that her products don't contain parabens or harmful preservatives but to be absolutely sure, just contact her via the link on the website and ask her as many detailed questions as you need answered. She usually gets back to you within a day or 2.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help and give you an outright answer but if you are satisfied with her response and/or the link I provided, I think you will love her products.

Mermaid

Hi Mermaid,

That glossary doensn't contain "Rice Powder" for some reason, but after going back to the site found a different page that makes it look like there are not other ingredients so I'll take your advice and e-mail her. I've already ordered a ton of samples and the oil blott papers too.

Thanks for posting about her site!

Karla