Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Aspirin for Flushing Prevention?

Default Baby Aspirin for Flushing Prevention?

"Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, May-June, 2004 by Joseph B. Bikowski, Mitchel P. Goldman

Another possible new oral therapy for the management of rosacea is prophylactic use of baby aspirin. Migraine headaches are reported 2 to 3 times more frequently in rosacea patients, perhaps due to the vascular instability associated with both conditions. Some neurologists recommend use of baby aspirin (81 mg enteric coated) as prophylaxis against migraine headaches. In Dr. Bikowski's personal experience over a 2-year period among approximately 100 patients who took 1 baby aspirin nightly, the majority reported a subjectively significant decrease in flushing and subsequent erythema after 1 to 3 months of treatment. However, to date there have been no controlled trials validating use of aspirin in rosacea." __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    Anybody try this yet? I'm already taking fish oil, grape seed extract, pycnogenol, & alpha lipoic acid. I wonder if this would be too much and lead to bleeding.
    Whoops! I thought I was posting this in the Non-prescription Section. You may want to move this, moderators!

Hi Irish Genes,

I've tried this in the past and it works quite well in keeping my face calm most of the next day (if I take it the night before). I didn't stay on it for long though because like you I was (and am still) taking grape seed extract and enty plenty of fish. I'm due for a hpysical soon and am going to ask my doctor about how dangerous or not it is to take 1 baby aspirin a day because I think it really does help. The problem is I don't think you can really tell if you are having stomache bleeding until it's too late. I could be wrong though.

Tricia

I find a get a lot of headaches (migraines, I think). They generally occur above my left eye, travelling right down to my left shoulder, left side of neck, jaw etc.

Do other rosacea sufferers also experience frequent headaches?

Lisa, it sounds like you definitely have migraines, which are one-sided. I had frequent severe ones in my late 30's & 40's as my estrogen declined, but much fewer & milder since menopause & being on bioidentical hormone replacement. If you are premenopausal, using an estrogen patch for the days when you normally get the headaches can be a Godsend. I didn't know this back then & spent a lot of time suffering, going to the ER, and after Imitrex came out in shot form only, giving myself painful shots. All that could have been avoided if some doctor had just told me it was due to my estrogen declining. No, they preferred giving me expensive brain scans instead. Migraines are more prevalent in rosaceans.

Tricia, I am wondering if using white willow bark extract, which is the original herb form of aspirin, would avoid the bleeding danger. So often a pharmaceutical company will change a molecule (is that the right word?) in an herb extract so that they can get a patent, and when they do that, they change the safe herb into a side-effect-causing drug. I bought some caps of willow bark, but so far haven't tried it, as I need to research it a little more.

I saw on one of Oprah's shows that a doctor recommended taking two baby aspirin a day for skin inflammation, if you are able. He didn't say to take them any particular time of day. I've only tried it off and on, so can't really say if it's been a help to me or not.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear57
    I saw on one of Oprah's shows that a doctor recommended taking two baby aspirin a day for skin inflammation, if you are able. He didn't say to take them any particular time of day. I've only tried it off and on, so can't really say if it's been a help to me or not.
    After reading this I took a baby aspirin and ended up with a stomach ache. I took it an hour after lunch. So maybe next time I will take it with food instead of after. I will try anything if I think it will help.

Yes, one thing you must be careful of is if you have stomach problems with taking aspirin. Some people do. I don't know if it would make a difference if you took one in the morning and one in the evening or if they need to be taken at the same time.

Hi irishgenes,

Thanks for the advice. I did actually try the oestrogen patch, and it worked while I was on it. However, after my period I took it off and then had a headache on and off for about four days. I think it was the change in oestrogen. My gynaecologist has told me that the headaches (plus other pre-menstrual symptomes, like flushing) are due to the sudden drop in oestrogen before your period. But the patch gives you more oestrogen, and then when you remove it, you have a sudden drop again. So not sure...

But thanks for the advice. I do think a birth control pill (with equal amounts of oestrogen every day) would probably help. But as I'm considering pregnancy in the next year or so this does seem a good plan.

lisa

I have used two things to help the migraine headachs

Black Coash (standardized version) one morning and evening

And (accidental discovery) Singular every night, which is amoung other things a low level antiinflamatory. I still get them but not as often and not as bad.

Singular helped with the Rosacea too.

Irishgenes, have you tried the willow bark yet? I read an article in Discover magazine over the weekend that mentioned it and I was thinking about trying it. It sounds like it could help.