Thread: DOXYCYCLINE FOR SWOLLEN NOSE

Default DOXYCYCLINE FOR SWOLLEN NOSE

My NEW doctor has taken me off accutane and prescribed me doxcycline to bring down the inflamation in my nose.... been on it for 4 weeks now and STILL suffering from "BOZO THE CLOWN" nose sydrome.

My nose actually turns yellowish because it gets filled with puss, then it ruptures into a hideous huge painfull lesion which takes at least 2 weeks to heal in time for another one to take over.

Will the doxycline work? It is so difficult to function in society like this. I deal with people constantly at work and all they do is stare at my nose. No amount of makeup can hide this problem. I am a freak.

-help please... liz

I have had very slight nose swelling on one side for a year. Have been taking doxy for months. It doesn't do anything for swelling. Get yourself some Accutane again...one way or the other, because your condition sounds unbearable.

Smudge, how long have you had this spot on your nose? Is it always in the same area? I am wondering if it is not rosacea, but an infected epidermal cyst (sebaceous cyst). If so, doxycycline would never work. It would probably have to be treated with flucloxacillin and then drained and cut out when it is not so inflamed.

hi irish.... i was away for the weekend and didnt see your reply til tonight!

That spot on my nose arrived early last week and spent about a week inflamed and oozing. Now the swelling is down and its just a red spot. They can actually drain the the wound?

I have recently come off accutane after a 5 month course and i am concerned because that is the first major sore ive gotten since i first started the accutane. I was still getting nose swelling and lesions but they were confined to the inside of my nose... painful but at least not as embarrassing! My new doc would not let me stay on accutane even though i wanted to (because i was still getting sores). His assistant told me that "accutane is too expensive for the insurance companies and they NEED to find something ELSE that works"... now it seems i am back to square one and am frantic and full of despair.

today i ordered accutane from canada. I am not sure what the proper dosage would be for me to take it long term low dose.. any suggestions?

thanks,
    LIz

If it is not always the same spot and you haven't had it for long, then it is probably not a sebaceous cyst. It's just if it is the same spot repeatedly that you would have to worry about a cyst. In that case, the drug mentioned would calm it down, and they could then drain it and remove the sac. If the sac is not removed, these things keep coming back.
    I don't know what to tell you about the dose of Accutane. I took very high doses in the past--80 mg a day. (I had a high body weight at the time.) The current belief is to use mini-doses, as little as you can to avoid side effects while still getting the benefits. You should read some of the Accutane threads to get an idea.