Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The rock and hard place sunscreen and makeup dilemma . . .

Default The rock and hard place sunscreen and makeup dilemma . . .

Over on the other board there have been a few posts saying that there are now studies that say the ingredients in the "natural" sunscreens and mineral make-ups can cause cancer when they interact with the sun. So, what the hell are we supposed to do now? Any ideas? Is there anything that in the end doesn't turn out to be bad for us?

Didn't you hear? EVERYTHING causes cancer.

I'm gonna battle one thing at a time.. Rosacea.
    Regards,
    RedHotCanuck
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3 IPL and tried Accutane. Accutane stopped the oil flow but caused other problems. Now just using a mix of Sea Kelp and EGF every night.

Which ingredients are known to cause cancer? Is it the titanium dioxide? The zinc oxide? Both? I find that disconcerting too!

Until I see the science, this is just a rumor. Besides, the ingredients in mineral makeup are also in other makeup covers, along with alot of other goo.

I think it's the Titanium Dioxide that was cited. And studies were also cited so it seems the "science" does exist inasmuchas you can ever trust it.

What studies? You will find TD in almost every cover on the market.

Like I said Evy, I don't recall the exact details, and it wasn't me who posted the information re: studies. If this issue doesn't bother you then well and good. I am interested, for myself, in clarifying the point though and was posting about it in the hope that others may have a more solid take on it than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bihbicat
    Like I said Evy, I don't recall the exact details, and it wasn't me who posted the information re: studies. If this issue doesn't bother you then well and good. I am interested, for myself, in clarifying the point though and was posting about it in the hope that others may have a more solid take on it than me.
    Of course, I'm interested. Thats why I'm posting on this. I'm not trying to be difficult or cause trouble. I just think it is premature and unproductive to start panicing over an ingredient found in almost all sunscreens, covers and makeups until we can actually see what this study said, how big it was, who paid for it, how long it was, how they measured their results, what it's basics were, etc. In other words, it's science. We all have worked long and hard to find products that our skin can tolorate. It was not an easy job. Do we really want to start on that merry-go-round again until we know we have to? The title, of your post, was "Between a rock and a hard place". But are you really? I know you are concerned about this and I too would like to see the studies on this, but I do we really want to reduce our already small number of skincare products, to nothing, without a solid reason to do so? So, who knows the study this thread started on? We need a link here.

I hardly think posting in an attempt to gain more information and understand constitutes panicking whatever title I used. It's not like I'm advocating everyone go throw out all their products. I may, however, be guilty of feeling a moment of frustration in hearing that products I was previously led to believe were safe and even good for you may turn out to carry a risk. I don't really think those moments of frustration are unreasonable either -- from what I understand we with this condition all have them at times. But I am perfectly calm about this, am continuing to use the aforementioned products, am not trying to upset anyone or create a drama by posting about it. I am simply seeking more clarity so that I can make an informed decision but as I'm not getting any more details here I'll ask back where it first came out and get back if I find a link. I am trying to work together with other people with rosacea here who may be likewise concerned to get to the bottom of this. I don't think we need dismiss or minimise people's concerns however premature we may judge them to be.

It would probably be more useful to continue this conversation when we have more to go on. A link to the study would be a good start.