Thread: Question about Photoderm - Dr. Nase

Default Question about Photoderm - Dr. Nase

Dear Dr. Nase!

I have been to a clinic today and they had 2 different types of lasers which are usually used for the treatment. The Laser-Nurse told me that they have an aurora and a photoderm. She said the photoderm is quite old(dunnow when the first one came out...) . Is an old photoderm still able to do the job (to treat Flushing, Blushing, persistent redness)?

Thanks a million for taking the time

Cheers

Daniel

This user has been banned from this forum

Daniel,
    I go to a physician that uses an older photoderm machine (IPL). You can get better results from newer machines, but the older ones do work. Remember that Dr. Nase was treated many years ago with an older machine originally. The most important thing to do though is to go to someone that knows how to use the machine and uses the correct protocols.

I would avoid the Aurora. The RF components is not positive for rosaceans.

Best,
    Trey

I have been treated with the Aurora RF (before I realized it was not the best machine for rosacea) and it did no damage at all (and I had numerous treatments), but my understanding it is not as effective as other machines for rosacea.

I can say I did see improvement with the treatments (and I was very lucky - the cost was very very good compared to others ), but the results were not what I had hoped. On the good note it got me to a point where it relieved some of the worst of the burning, lessened the flushing etc so that I could really sit back and evaluate what I wanted to do - and I have made the decision to travel and go to Dr. Darm for further treatments.

I would also say that while the machine is important, I think the knowledge of the practioner is equally or more important. I checked out a place in Vancouver, B.C. with a Lumenis One machine but after speaking to them it was rather obvious that they were using it "cosmetically" more than really treating the underlying cause. Typically they only did a single pass and there was nothing on pre or post treatment protocols (i.e. preflushing, not flushing after treatment etc). So while the machine may have been great, I did not feel the treatment I would get with it would give me the optimal results some are posting they get with it when they are treated by someone who really knows what they are doing.
    Diane
    Vancouver Island, BC

I agree 100% with you Diane about the importance of the practictioner. From what I have seen, you can waste a lot of time, money, and hope on inept operators. When I interview clinics, many of my questions are about the practictioner. You can very quickly eliminate most of them; others take a little longer. My experience has been that they all claim to be experts on treating rosacea so that is where the conversation usually starts.

Even the spa places. As if this disease were on the same level as, say, getting a manicure. Not that I call them but whenever I venture into one, they try to push their IPL services on me.
    - Rachel Rose

Speaking of "spa" places - I did check one out simply because I was in that area (about a 2.5 hour drive away from home) checking out another couple of places and figured "what the heck, I'm here anyway and by there website, sounded like they had a good IPL machine" - they had no doctor on staff, but did have one they could consult next door and at the end of the consult - the RN, who was very nice, thanked me and said I gave her more information than she gave me. That was a definite sign to me to get out, and get out quickly!
    Diane
    Vancouver Island, BC

Thanks a lot for the much appreciated replys. I will keep all the information in mind when I am chosing treatment

Cheers

Daniel