Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Level Red Light Therapy (Acnelamp Red) Update

Default Low Level Red Light Therapy (Acnelamp Red) Update

Hi all. Just wanted to give you an update of how the red light therapy is going. Currently, I'm doing between 15-20 minutes twice a day (morning and night). Interestingly, I backed off on my treatment times for a few days (cut back to around 15 to 20 minutes total each day) and I noticed I was getting more redness. Now that I've been trying to be good about doing at least 30 minutes a day and up to 40 a day, my redness and propensity toward flushing has receded a bit.
    As I'm sure most of the US residents know, it's basically hot everywhere lately. I was able to go do errands out in heat in the mid '90s the past couple of days. Now, this was not prolonged activity outside (though I did grill last night), but it was walking through the hot parking lot, carrying things back to the car, etc. Just being able to make brief forays out in this kind of weather without flushing is quite encouraging.
    Another thing I've noticed is that in my flush zone, generally it's a mix of "standing" redness and permanent redness (telangiectasia, diffuse redness). Since I've been using the lamp, the "standing" redness is receding so that my skin around the permanent redness and telangiectasia fades to pale/very light pink and makes for a stronger juxtaposition between my skin tone and the permanent redness. In this sense, I can more clearly see what--most likely--cannot be treated by any other means aside from thermal, in-office laser treatments.
    I'm quite pleased with how this is working out. I've been a fairly laser-resistant case, so this is really nice to find something that speeds recovery up and helps to contain flushing.
    I'd like to clarify--just because this light source is called an "Acnelamp" does not mean that it is necessarily for acneform lesions. They market it for acne. But if you ask for an all-red unit, you're not really treating the acneform lesions (though it may help) for the rosacea. The point of red light, from my understanding, is to reduce inflammation and stimulate healing/building new cells (someone please step in if they'd like--I still don't know how to explain exactly what this light source does for rosacea).

Anyway, wanted to update the group. I'm seeing steady progress and it's very nice to find something that clearly benefits my condition beyond meds (clonidine and clarithromycin can only do so much) and works with in-office laser treatments.

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Thanks for keeping us posted David. Did you ever find out for sure whether it's okay for us to be using these lamps in the two weeks after an IPL/laser tx? I've asked around but not been able to get an answer on it. I assume it's okay but would really love to know for sure. In the meantime though I'll keep on with it. I'm doing 20 mins twice a day -- hope it's not too much but it's more convenient for me that way.

I can't comment on this with any definitive, informed answer. I don't understand the biology or physics of this technology enough to do so.

I am using red light therapy between my laser appointments, as Kristen had said it was all right for her. The last treatment I had (though it was with low-energy settings on the gemini laser), I started using the acnelamp the next day. No problems at all.

In my anecdotal experience, the red light therapy only helps and calms things down. But, I think we're sort of on the fringe of combining these treatments. I'm happy to be a guinea pig so long as I don't see my condition worsening over the course of a week or so with consistent lamp use.

Please do share your experiences, though. I'm trying to learn about this as much as you are, I'd guess.

David
    35 year-old male
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Hi David, I've never noticed any problem or worsening from using the lamp right after and between IPL/laser tx but what I'm worried about is whether doing so will somehow inhibit the destruction of the vessels that have been hit during the tx and that we'd like to see the last of and there's just no way one can tell that from looking at one's face as it would result, simply, in a less effective IPL/laser tx and this is the tricky bit -- how do you know if it's less effective than it might have been? Anyway, as you say we are clearly limited by our theoretical understanding here. I don't even bother contacting the lamp people to ask as I know they'll go blank when I say "rosacea" and "IPL/ laser". Oh well, onward and upward with the routine unless advised or proven otherwise I guess!

Default The "original" Acne Lamp all-red

Dear group:

Hi. I can't find the "original" Acne Lamp all-red topic, lots of helpful information there. Please kindly tell me why the whole topic thread was deleted. No illegal :-) or harmful ingredients there :-)

Adam

35 year-old male
    20 + laser treatments.

Bhibicat--I don't know if the red light would inhibit the destruction of treated vessels. It seems that if a vessel is treated properly, the light would just speed up the removal of dead/treated tissue. Currently, I'm using my lamp after the gemini treatment I got earlier this week, and it's clearly helping with the post-treatment redness. But, as you mentioned, we don't have any good way to find out what the effective of red light therapy is after treatments. And yes, the acnelamp people are pretty much worthless. ;)

One thing, though: Dr. Soldo mentioned that flushing and inflammation post-treatment are responsible for angiogenesis while you're healing up. In this regard, the I know the lamp is helping with swelling and redness, and some flushing. So...whether or not this is a sign it's helping or not, I don't know. I guess I'll just have to guinea-pig myself out for a couple of more treatments in the coming months.

David
    35 year-old male
    20 + laser treatments.

Default Thanks

Thanks very much David!

I overlooked "page 1 of 3" so I could not find it as it's on page 2.

Have a cool weekend.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by IowaDavid
    http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=25&start=0

I have been meaning to read the red light threads for some time, but have not yet gotten around to it. The idea seemed intriguing. Recently I saw a series of emails that Dr. Nase had written privately to Peter, which Peter posted on here. Dr. Nase was heaping scorn on the idea of these lights being of any use, in effect calling them quackery. Well, the thread was deleted, as I think the moderators sensed trouble brewing! I don't know if any of you got a chance to read that thread before it disappeared, but it caused me to hesitate about buying one of these lights. I just don't know what to think now.

Irishgenes - Please help me out, I'm not sure if I understand you. You said you're "intrigued" with the positive results Peter and others have had with the red lamp and because of this you were considering making a purchase. But, now you're having second thoughts because Nase said it was "quackery?" He only said that to Peter in private emails. He posted the promise of it helping on the message board. That's a contradiction if I ever heard one and makes me wonder about Nase's intentions. Why would he say such things? Besides, plenty of people have posted their own experiences with supplements etc and I just don't understand why Nase would be trying to confuse people like you and me if Peter is showing good results.

Kat