View Poll Results: Do you suffer from migraines?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 58.14%
  • No

18 41.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Have Migraine Headaches?

Default Do You Have Migraine Headaches?

I am wondering if rosacea is related to the vascular hyper-responsiveness of migraines. I started having migraines about the same time the first symptoms of rosacea appeared.
    Whether you have migraines or not, please respond.

Yes - and one of the first pieces of info I found when I started researching R was that there was a correlation between the conditions - but I never found a "why".

About 10% of the general population has Migraines, about 30% of Rosacearns (if my memory is still working anyway).

Related vascular disfunction?

Senior Member tryingtogetoverit's Avatar

No, never.

The only times I do get headaches is when I haven't had a coffee in a while or when eyes are acting up.

None of these headaches were migraine headaches...I assume I'd know it if I ever had one.
    ------------------------------
    25 year old male, 20mgs Accutane daily.
    10mg's of Singulair daily (bonus that it helps with my asthma! lol)

Shave w/ Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel, Sensor Excel razor. (Used to use Mach3, but tried Sensor and won't go back!)

Yes, you'd know it. They are one-sided headaches with nausea and aversion to light. They can be mild to excrutiating. More common in women due to our changing hormones. I didn't have my first one until age 30.

Senior Member tryingtogetoverit's Avatar

I brought this in to my opthamologist: (You've probably read this though.)

" Fluorescent lighting has some properties in it
    that when it penetrates the eye and is transduced back through the
    optic nerve, it excites the visual cortex of the brain (normal
    action), but also alters the production of two chemicals in the
    anterior hypothalamus norepinephrine and gabba (not normal).

These chemicals then stimulate dilatory nerve fibers to the face
    and also releases cortisol, a dilatory hormone; hence rosacea
    flushing. In the normal population fluorescent lighting is a common
    trigger for migraines and cluster headaches because of the changes
    caused to norepinephrine and gabba (blood brain vessels dilate, but
    they don't flush because they don't have rosacea). So, fluorescent
    lighting does not induce a rosacea trigger via direct interaction
    with facial skin, but is in fact a visual cortex processing affect. "

Whole thread here:
    http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewto...nt+fluorescent

sort of off topic...
    ------------------------------
    25 year old male, 20mgs Accutane daily.
    10mg's of Singulair daily (bonus that it helps with my asthma! lol)

Shave w/ Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel, Sensor Excel razor. (Used to use Mach3, but tried Sensor and won't go back!)

I thought I was having migraine headaches for quite a long time. It seems now that I am getting my eyes really under control with the help of Restasis, I have had no headaches whatsoever. After your description, Irishgenes, of the nausea, I never had that, just a pounding head so probably not a migraine.

Anyway, just wanted to add that with dry eye, there can be a lot of pain involved.

Not everyone gets every symptom - e.g you may not get nausea. But I found singular helped both my migraines (not light sensitive for me - noise sensitive, then I want to eat everything,then I get nausea. Bad combo)

Appartnely if it cuts other types of inflamation a drug or herb may also help migraines.

Hummm.

I started having them after I had my son. I noticed one day that my eye started going dark in spots. I'd just had Lasik, so I was thinking it was caused by it. I called my eye doc and they said it could be that, just pressure from healing.

I got these little crystal looking things in one eye's vision. They'd go away, and then about 30 minutes later, BAM! My head felt like I had been hit by a sledghammer. If I was quick enough, like when I noticed the crystals in my vision, and I took something (Like Aleve) it wasn't AS bad. It was tolerable. I apparently got hit with one at night. I remember waking up in the middle of the night not feeling right, but couldn't wake up enough to figure it out. The next morning I couldn't get out of bed. to move hurt. I also puked a few times throughout the day. MAN that sucked.

*knock on wood* I haven't had one in quite some time now. I'm hoping it was just a phase that I'm out of now.
    *Avoiding triggers is like trying to dodge raindrops in a monsoon.*

My Blog - http://rosaceablog.moonfruit.com/

Tryingtogetoverit, that is very interesting about the fluorescent lighting. I didn't know that.

Kelli, my first migraine was during early pregnancy (age 25), then I didn't have any more until 30. Mine were definitely related to declining estrogen, but I didn't know that at the time, or I would have used an estrogen patch in the week before my period. I used to have them so bad that I gave myself Imitrex shots 2 or 3 times a week. You younger people may not remember that when Imitrex first came out, it was only available as a self-injection. Boy, those shots really stung! Sometimes the shots wouldn't work, and I'd wind up in the emergency room, where they always treat you like you are a drug addict.

Since starting on estrogen after menopause, I only have occasional mild migraines that can be stopped with Excedrin Migraine pills. I never would have thought an OTC drug would work, but that pill usually does if I take it soon enough. Your visual symptoms, Kelli, sound like the "aura" of classical migraine. I never had that. But the main symptom of a migraine versus a regular headache is that a migraine is one-sided. Oddly enough, I always got migraines on the left side, and now that I have rosacea, I flush mostly on the right side.

The one thing I like about having the aura thing, is that I know to get somewhere that I can lay down and relax... because it's going to hit soon. Mine start from the base of my head/neck and travels up to the front. The closer to my face it gets, the worse the pain is.

My mother actually gets severe migraines. I remember growing up and having to comfort her when she'd get them. Or help her drive home if her vision was messing up. I'd brush her hair to calm her down, etc. They were probably bad, but she's a drama queen, so who knows if they were the same as what I have. She does not have rosacea, though.
    *Avoiding triggers is like trying to dodge raindrops in a monsoon.*

My Blog - http://rosaceablog.moonfruit.com/