Thread: What's diet got to do with it?

Default What's diet got to do with it?

Hi there

I would really like to hear from anyone who feels that diet significantly affects their rosacea. (I have acne-rosacea)

The reason I ask is that I have tried wheat free diets etc with no real success and my dermatologist recently said that I should obviously avoid the things that I know are a trigger e.g. alcohol, hot drinks etc, but other than that, I should'nt worry too much about trying to drastically alter my diet.

I think I have quite a healthy diet anyway.

Just wondered what your thoughts are - and if you've found that certain things do impact on your skin.

Many thanks.

NikkiLou,

I've posted about this before, but I had allergy-testing done (blood) a few years ago. The foods that showed positive on the test are mostly the same ones that aggravated my acne and p&p's. When I stopped ingestinig these foods, my acne cleared by about 80%. Since having two treatments done by Dr. Darm (Genesis 1064 and IPL), my 'acne' has cleared by over 95%. I have even tried to cause a break-out by eating things that used to aggravate the acne. I now get two or three little bumps on my face, instead of twenty to thirty.

hth
    Teresa

NikkiLou,

I am a firm believer that our diets are one of the main causes and sustainers of rosacea. Altering my diet drastically, for me, has resulted in drastic improvement in my skin tone and flushing. For example, I started doing the Maker's Diet a few weeks ago (not doing it atm) and the right side of my face completely cleared of rosacea, leaving just my seb derm behind. Also, alot of my triggers (heat, sun, computer monitors, hot foods, alcohol) seemed to not affect me anymore. Once I start making some more money I am going to go full on dieting once again. Also, I would suggest reading up on Ayurvedic medicine. Go here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheRosaceaCure

Good luck, pm me if you have any questions or what not.

Some have had good success with lower carb diets. I saw a noticable improvement on the South Beach Diet.

Probably 2 reasons - low carb diets keep your blood sugar even, and elevated blood sugar is actually very inflamatory and

you probably don't eat as many trigger foods.

Worth a try if you pick a generally healthy one (Makers is good, South Beach is good . . .)

KHM

Default diet and rosacea....

I do know something about this subject and have posted several pages on my web site about this....

http://tinyurl.com/ayqvu
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

hi,

Please see the HIGH BLOOD SUGAR thread as well. I have found a definitive correlation to rosacea symptoms and high glycemic index foods (and perhaps ATP, as discussed in the thread). Rosacea is a very complex and multi-factored condition, but I feel that one instigator of rosacea symptoms (in particular, flushing) are high glycemic index foods that have little or no fiber to buffer the absorption of sugar. You can try cutting out processed foods as an experiment. I, personally, do not have problems with all carbohydrates. I can tolerate some fruits in great quantities. I think the correlation is to glycemic index rather than carbohydrates in general. Also, cutting out all fruits is not wise from a nutrition health perspective.