Thread: Accutane question

Default Accutane question

Having taken high dose accutane for acne a couple of years ago, does this mean that I might not develop to the p+p stage? As of now, I am just a flusher/burner and have been so for probably 2.5 years. As I mentioned in another thread, a GP told me last week that I can't have rosacea 'because you don't have spots'. Obviously this is entirely inaccurate and made me really cross, but I wondered more generally if having taken accutane would mean I might not get p+ps in any case. I just don't have the heart to turn round to a doctor and say 'actually, you're wrong' ' for fear of them taking exception and turning nasty on me
    Double negatives are a big no-no.

I took high dose Accutane for 3 courses when I was in my 30's and 40's. I got p&p of rosacea in my late 50's. Since you took Accutane only a couple of years ago, you may not get p&p. Some people are seemingly cured of acne for life by Accutane. I was not so lucky. My reprieves only lasted about 18 months.

I never tell doctors they are wrong because usually they are know-it-alls who won't believe you, a mere patient. I just go on to the next doctor.

This user has been banned from this forum

teenage type acne results from different reasons than rosacea p&p. rosacea p&p is the result of dermal inflamation. that said, the different causes may lead to different outcomes for different people (i.e. i would not preclude p&p from rosacea even if it "cured" acne from your teenage years).

im not an expert at this but have done alot research on accutane (trying to make my decision to go on it).

best,
    trey

I know that the p&p of rosacea is different from acne, because there are no plugs of sebum in my p&p. I wish there was something that I could squeeze out that would make it all go away, like in my acne-only days. I have had a few rosacea papules that lasted 6 months! However, I was under the impression that people who get p&p are people who either now have or used to have oily skin and acne. Are there a lot of people who get rosacea p&p who never suffered from oily skin and acne?

Hi irishgenes

I used to have acne in my teens, oily skin etc... (skin still is quite oily)

I understand thet the p & p in rosacea are different to acne spots - and also understand your frustration that you can't just sqeeze them out. I too have had papules that have hung around for ages.

My question is, I can understand how isotretinoin helps acne - ie by reducing oil and unblocking/shrinkng pores etc - but how does it work with the p & p spots of rosacea???

Thanks.

I believe Dr. Nase once said Accutane helped prevent angiogenesis, formation of new blood vessels, so that might help with p&p of rosacea.