Thread: Do I have to gie up salsa?!

Default Do I have to gie up salsa?!

Ok I have given up a lot to this disease. I went to salsa today and three hours after the class my face is still beet red, the whole of it (I only usually get this type of flush after intense exercise, usualy rosacea triggers just cause intense redness on my central facial area). I haven't had the redness linger for this long before. It's not throbbing, really dry and burning (this always happens during and immediately after exercise for me) but this intense redness and swelling is still here.

Do yo think I have damaged yet more facial blood vessels? Help!

If this is an isolated incident, then Id carry on. However, if this is happening to some extent everytime you attend class then you might want to reconsider. I had to quit my training due to its effects on my rosacea. Its sad, but what other option is there?

Maybe Dr Nase will be able to recommend a med that might help you. Are you taking any btw? There are drugs that you can take on occassions that can really play down flushing, so maybe with the right med you could continue.

I hope this is the case, because I know how depressing it can be to drop activities that you love. But I guess thats better than sending your rosacea through the roof.

At first I thought this was going to be about salsa, the hot sauce! I decided to take my old bike out for a spin, and when I started uphill, I had an immediate severe migraine, plus I started flushing. Since I don't enjoy exercise, anyway, I have a perfect excuse not to do it.

Default Re: Do I have to gie up salsa?!

NO! Either you allow rosacea to keep you locked in your house or you live your life despite the flushing. Choosing the latter will do wonders for your mental health.

It might have been a hot evening or you were really getting a strenuous workout with dancing lessons. Of course, you will flush in such a situation. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Have you looked into beta blockers or or something to keep the blood vessels calmer.

My blood vessels were damaged when the gene that causes rosacea kicked into high gear. That was about age 17 for me...I'm 34 years old now.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina
    Ok I have given up a lot to this disease. I went to salsa today and three hours after the class my face is still beet red, the whole of it (I only usually get this type of flush after intense exercise, usualy rosacea triggers just cause intense redness on my central facial area). I haven't had the redness linger for this long before. It's not throbbing, really dry and burning (this always happens during and immediately after exercise for me) but this intense redness and swelling is still here.

This user has been banned from this forum

Default Re: Do I have to gie up salsa?!

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina

I agree, try to live your life. This would be tough on any rosacea sufferer. If you can keep the flushing down to just when you are having fun and not several hours after, you should minmize any negative effects.

For example:
    1. Buy a top of the line whole face cooling gel pad for after
    2. Take a baby aspirin before and after -- if you can tolerate them
    3. Crank down the AC for when you get home
    4. Take a shower once you get home to help finish off the flush.

So, on the one hand, you keep a thing you love, BUT, also know that you may have to do a little extra to maintain your clearance. (At least for right now).

5. A half a tablet of clonidine may help right after also.

Default thanks!!

I really didn't want to give it up, but it is a bit humiliating when people start saying "are you having a heart attack?"- I do go exceptionally red- sometimes the tip of nose doesn't bizarrely!

Any how back to the point. Thanks so much for the advise Dr Nase. I am sesitive to aspirin but remember taking clonidine some time ago and the next day I look very very pale and less swollen!

When you say shower, presumably you mean a cold one?

Thank you for your advise,