Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Niacin flush before IPL

Default Niacin flush before IPL

Hi all,

Soon I'm having my last IPL treatment. I want to induce a really big flush before it.

Last time I took 200mg of Niacin 45mins before the threatment and it didn't work.

Could anyone share with me your niacin experience? How much did you take and how long before the treatment?

This time I'm planning to take 300mg 30mins before the IPL. I'm just scared a little, beacuse of those stories where niacin caused itching and burning not only to the face, but to the whole body.

Regards,

Last IPL tx I took 300 mg niacin one hour beforehand. I could see my wrists and arms turning red and blotchy and I itched but it did not remain. By the time I was on the freeway after tx this side effect was gone.

I guessed at the amount to take. I don't know if you estimate this by body weight but I read an e-mail from a man who said that he took 450 mg an hour before tx so I figured I'd try 300mg. It worked just right. I was red as a beet at just the right time.
    - Rachel Rose

Thank you very much for your response.

My wiegyht is around 90kg so prolly I should take more than 300mg, maybe 400mg will do.
    I'm confused about when to take it. Some people say 20mins before the tx, other an hour..I guess it works diferently for everybody.

Regards,

Default flush

HELL0

I have tried Niacin as a method of pre-flushing as i am going for IPL treatment soon too. I tried 400 mg of niacin. Great response was completely red after about 40mins, lasted about 2 hours. However i experienced a lot of itching all over my body and was extremely red. 300 mg sounds about right if u are avarage wieght for a women. why dont u try it out a couple of days before txt.

All the best littledragon GERRY
    gerryc

Thank you for your input!!

My weight is 90kg...so 400mg should be enough! Or maybe 500mg? I'm scared to take too much :/

I hesitate to try it a few days before the treatment, because I'm scared of this itching issue and getting red. I don't want to spoil my sucess with previous treatments.

Regards,

Hi,

Try Nioxin. You can find it for sale online as a hair regrowth treatment on google or maybe some local salons as well. It causes localized redness where you put it on and in turn you light up like a X-mas tree. Dr. Nase suggested this awhile back to a alternative to Niacin. Think about what triggers a flush as well. Maybe it is standing on your head before the doctor comes in to perform IPL or putting a heating pad on the back of your neck. You definately want to get your money's worth. Niacin causes me to turn red all over my body, be very itchy, and also light headed. Not a pleasant site.

Hope that helps,
    Ray
    23 yo male
    Sub-type 2: Papulopustular rosacea
    4 v-beam and 2 smoothbeam treatments last Summer through Winter of 2004-05

Hi,

I did some research and found out that there are at least a few various Nioxin products. I'm confused. Which one is the one to get a flush?

Thanks!

At the end I took 400mg of niacin 30mins before the threatment. In 10 mins my body started to itch...hands, upper back, scalp, forearms, everything. I looked like I would iron myself. Never been so red before.

Strangely right after the treatment (double pass) I was almost pale.

Regards,

Hi Littledragon,

That seems strange that it would wear off so fast. How do you think your treatment went? Do you think the Niacin had any impact? I've used topical niacin and it sure makes you red. You can also try a heating pad on the back of the neck and blowing a hair dryer on your face right before the treatment.

Tamara

Hi,

It also took me just 10mins to get itchy and red. From what I read some people needed at least 20mins, some even 45mins.
    The efect wore off after about 40mins (from what I felt).
    The treatment lasted an hour.

It is hard to tell how it went. I will wait and see.

Regards,