Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Nase, can u tell us about dimethicone liquid makeup

Default Dr. Nase, can u tell us about dimethicone liquid makeup

I'm not sure what this new dimethicone liquid makeup is that you said to blend with the citrix antioxidant sunscreen. Where can you get this, who makes it? Thanks.

I don't know specifically what Dr. Nase was talking about, but from Paula Begoun's Cosmetic Ingredients Dictionary:
    "dimethicone (see silicone) --Silicone. Substance derived from silica (sand is a silica). The unique fluid properties of silicone give it a great deal of slip and in its various forms it can feel like silk on the skin, impart emolliency, and be a water-binding agent that holds up well, even when skin becomes wet. In other forms, it is also used extensively for wound healing and for improving the appearance of scars (Source: Journal of Wound Care, July 2000, pages 319324). "

Now, I think the "other forms" refers to the use of sheets of silicone used to help prevent scars in wounds.

If you Google "dimethicone foundation", you will see that it is a common ingredient in make-up. The ingredient itself is not new. I remember seeing it on cosmetic labels for many years.

This user has been banned from this forum

Yes, you can find it in most liquid makeup. L'Oreal has one of the better brands with dimethicone and cylcomethicone and a few drops mixed into the sunblock turns it into a mild bronzer.

Dr. Nase,
    Maybelline just came out with a new makeup called WONDER FINISH. The only active ingredient is octinoxate 4.0 % and it has dimethicone. It is made for all day wear, is non-comedogenic, non-acnegenic, hypo-allergenic, oil-free, SPF 15, & fragrance free.

What do you think of this? I like it a lot and it blends great with teh citrix antioxidant sunscreen.

-Chris

This user has been banned from this forum

Quote Originally Posted by YankeesRtheBest
    Dr. Nase,
    Maybelline just came out with a new makeup called WONDER FINISH. The only active ingredient is octinoxate 4.0 % and it has dimethicone. It is made for all day wear, is non-comedogenic, non-acnegenic, hypo-allergenic, oil-free, SPF 15, & fragrance free.

What do you think of this? I like it a lot and it blends great with teh citrix antioxidant sunscreen.

-Chris

Sounds good. Some dont blend well at all or clump. The 4% sunscreen is quite diluted when added to the sunscreen, so should not be a factor. How does it feel?

Default Is this true about dimethicone

HI

I read that silicones like dimethicone are not soluble in water and require a detergent based cleanser to remove. If detergent based cleansers are too harsh for rosacea, is there a safe way to remove the silicone based products.

Thanks
    Linda

Does anybody know exactly which L'Oreal product Dr. Nase is talking about up here?

Hey Linda...what you said about the silicone/dimethicone makeup may be true because I'm finding that I am getting a lot more cystic outbreaks with the makeup I'm using. I'm just not sure anymore what to do. Being a guy, I painfully regret ever starting to wear makeup because now I feel obligated to wear it because it makes my face look instantly very good to great. Sure it makes me look like I don't have rosacea and covers acne, but in the long-run clogs the pores and may aggravate the rosacea. My problem now seems to be with outbreaks though, even when the makeup clearly states that it doesn't cause them. And it may not in some, but def does in me, since I'm prone to painful cysts in the first place and I produce so much oil on my face. 5 minutes after I cleanse my face, you can feel oil already producing on my face, it has been this way since I'm 14 and now I'm 20, I hope photodynamic therapy can help with my sebacious gland abnormalities and put a hault to the cystic outbreaks that scar my face every day.

Hi Chris,

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but Dr Nase once mentioned a product by the name of Darcy Drying Overnight lotion. Dr Nase recommended that you place a very small amount on the tip of the cyst but not on the surrounding skin.

I'm also on 50mg of Zinc Gluconate which I think has helped so much with outbreaks.

If you would like me to help you find some suitable foundations, please let me know and I'll do some researh for you.

Mermaid

Hey Mermaid, I actually was attempting the zinc gluconate back before the summer started, but I couldn't tell if it was absolutely helping. I also wasn't sure if I was using the proper brand, just seems like there's so many ways to go wrong when trying to do one thing right. What brand do you use? Thanks for recommending the Darcy Drying lotion, I never heard of that, is it only available online?
    I was on maybelline wonder finish makeup which looked great and did not make me flush like the dermablend used to a while back, maybe cause it had mineral oil. But I swear to you, since applying zinc oxide under a non-irritating makeup on every morning, my flushing has decreased by over 90 percent overall, day and night. My physical activity flushes are extremely mild too. But I am having a problem with cystic acne and I just bought L'OREAL feel naturale light softening oil-free makeup, fragrance free, non-acnegenic, non-comedogenic, w/vitamin e. It's not a liquid makeup and doesn't have dimethicone like the maybelline, but the only active ingredient is still octinoxate. I've tried so many makeups without success from drug store makeups to online ones. Thanks for your time.
    PS-I'm going at the end of this month for a consultation regarding photodynamic therapy, lumenis one, and YAG. I hope this really is the place that can help me in order to really put a hault to my acne and start the reversal of my rosacea.