Thread: Is this nose spray safe to use?

Default Is this nose spray safe to use?

Hi guys, I'm one of those people who gets hayfever and I was using a steroid nosespray and getting some weird sensations in my nose till Dr Nase set me straight about it. I no longer use that one of course and have been using one called Azep. I don't know if it exists or is called the same thing in the States but it's supposed to be antihistimine only -- the chemist promised there were no steroids in it. It says it contains Azetastine Hydrochloride. Works good but I've been noticing that my nose is flushing a bit more these days and when it does it gets a bit itchy. That development may well not be related to the spray -- could just be the progression of rosacea or even the allergies effecting it as I try not to use this spray too much. Can anyone confirm if this spray or this ingredient is safe to use with rosacea?

Cheers, B

I get v. bad hayfever aswell and have been using bekinase nasal spray , pirotin and claryityn tablets and eyedrops and have recently started taking and had to stop because of stomach pain, Doxyclcline. I have seen over recent days an increase in redness, but not sure if it comes from stopping antibiotics or starting them or the hayfever

I would caution you against Becanese -- that's the spay I used to use until Dr Nase told me it was a huge no-no because it's steroid based and any steroid based spray is supposed to be bad for rosacea.

This user has been banned from this forum

Yep,

No steroid nose sprays for anyone who knows they have rosacea. Especially because they go right into the nasal mucosa and are spread throughout the entire center of the face within seconds.

Is Rhinocort also a steroid spray?

Yes, Rhinocort is a steroid spray. Avoid any drug with "cort" (cortisone, cortisol) in the name.

I have had wonderful success with a product called Nasalcrom - it is a mast cell inhibitor. It is OTC in the US. The only down side is it requires 4 sprays a day. Hard to remember. But it works even better than the steriod sprays did for me.

Cost is pretty similar to prescriptions cost for me as well

I'm using Astelin twice a day and it seems to help. It's a prescription drug and I've been told that it doesn't have any cortisone in it and is therefore safe to use. Dr. Nase, is this information correct?

Tamara

thanks for this all. for teh last month, since my last ipl treatment i have had worse reddening on my nose. i've been putting it down to yet another oddity of roseacea and/or the ipl but now you mention it, it coincides *exactly* with starting Beconase for my hayfever. i did tell my ipl doc i was starting beconase but he said it was no problem. i will stop taking it straight away and see what happens.

i did try today to get an alternative called Rhinolast which is a antihistamine-only nasal spray but it seems to have disappeared from teh chemist shelves and gone into prescription only.

thanks again

This user has been banned from this forum

Astelin is a safe drug for rhinitis. The main ingredient is an antihistamine H1 antagonist.

I think the mast cell inhibitors are one of the best replacements for steroid nasal sprays (which do such a great job with the nose) vs. antihistamines becuase mast cells carry a dozen different chemicals that wreak havoc other than histamine. If you want the quick acting antihistamine reliever plus the long acting mast cell inhibitors, I believe they now have these available via prescription.

I hate to make such a blunt statement, but anyone who uses steroid nasal sprays more than once in every blue moon is taking a real chance with their rosacea. Just a yield sign.