Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol - what to drink?

Default Alcohol - what to drink?

I have rosacea. What's the best option, vodka or beer? No alcohol is not an option.

You'll have to experiment and see what works for you. I find vodka, gin, white wine, some lighter beers, are all right. Rum might be okay, too, as long as it's not spiced and dark. OH! And Everclear. ;) My preference is vodka, mixed with a sugar-free mixer and ice. Do your best to find something that tastes okay.

Just mix the liquors with a lot of mixer and ice and have some iced water handy and sometimes a bit of clonidine and a bendryl are helpful. If you feel flushed or the heat coming on, take a few gulps of iced water to cool you and slow down the absorption rate of whatever is in your stomach that's causing the flush.

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Hmmm, I have a funny reaction to alcohol. Sometimes Im fine, other times it my worst trigger.

Wish I could give you a clearer answer, but if you want to be safe dont drink at all. Iv never noticed that one type of alcohol is ok while another is not - its all alcohol at the end of the day, and is a major flush trigger.

I sometimes drink a few hours before I go out to see if a flush with occur. If it does, I have time for it to simmer down. If not, great lets party! Might be worth trying.

Default vodka

Vodka. The carbohydrate in beer is the trigger. You can have vodka in moderation since there is zero carbohydrate. Any of the distilled spirits are better than beer or wine.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

I haven't had alcohol for a long time. The other day i was round one of my clients houses and there was a garden party, i was offered a long glass of punch style drink made with gin, pimms, mint, lemonade and it was lovely, so i had some more! Thought id probably pay for it later but nothing! No redness and it tasted lovely.

Beer and any type of alcopops is a big no no for me. If i just have a sip i start to come out in a burning flush.

Default Re: Alcohol - what to drink?

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreRed!
    I have rosacea. What's the best option, vodka or beer? No alcohol is not an option.
    just a few thoughts...

i think starting with hard things right on gives most of us a flush. so i'd prefer softdrinks in the beginning before moving to stronger ones.

some will find that taking some antihistamines before (long lasting versions like cyrtec) will help them to avoid flushing (some that couldn't stand red wine could drink it then)

I also seem to flush just looking at red wine.

Wine is a negatory for me. Beer is okay, but it's not good for my seb derm because of the brewer's yeast. The best face-friendly drink is any hard alcohol mixed with anything else. Rum and bacardi mixers from the grocery store are really good and rosacea friendly.

I don't have a problem until I start getting tipsy. Just having a drink or two doesn't cause any flush for me, that I can feel!