Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tranquilisers and flushing

Default Tranquilisers and flushing

Hi Dr Nase,

When I'm very stressed (i.e. this generally means an appointment with a doctor!!), or I really can't sleep - I take a quartre lexitan (Tranquiliser). I find then that I don't flush. Does this tell you anything about the cause of my flushing? Obviously I can't live on tranquilisers so I take them v. seldom. But maybe it also gives you some ideal about how to prevent flushing.

Any assistance appreciated.

thanks, Lisa

This user has been banned from this forum

Lisa,

Excellent observation.

I dont give this advice out lightly as this is a very important subject regarding medications that must be taken very seriously and monitored by a physician.

Tranquilizers or benzodiazepams (clonazepam) used for special occasions are the single best anti-flushing medication that is known to date. But, only used sparingly -- some just use one tab or two tabs on the weekends to give them back a semblance of a life for 48 to 72 hours. People can do amazing things (that normal non rosaceans take for granted) while on clonazepam because of its specific actions on the dilator nerves in the hypothalamus and its reduction in dilator hormone output and cortisol production. This is the reason why it works, but it should not be used everyday or tolerance will build up and you may experience a rebound affect.

If someone is at the end of their ropes it is worth discussing with your doctor the risk/benefit ratio of clonazepam and just tell the doctor that you want your weekends back (e.g. a script for 8 tablets per month so you cant overdo it). With the long half life of clonazepam many get amazing relief from rosacea, flushing and burning sensations on Saturday, Sunday and half of Monday with just two 0.5 mg pills (or for males 1.0 mgs on Saturday and 1.0 mgs on Sunday)..

Once again this is a serious subject that should only be addressed by your physician. I did quote one expert in my book who recommended this approach if it helps sway the mind of your physician. But, it is physically impossible to become addicted or experience withdrawals by taking clonazepam two days in a row and then five days offf. Best of luck.

Thanks, Dr Nase. What about SSRIs then with anxiolytic properties? Would they have the same effect?

Lisa,

They have some effect but only about one-tenth the effect because they work on different parts of the brain. It is definitely worth trying because these are made for daily use. What brand were you refering to?

Not sure. Don't really know the different brands. But a mild one. As I'm also currently quite depressed - it should help with that as well.

Lisa,

You are in great company here. I really dont know anyone who is not depressed by chronic life altering disorders. IN FACT, IF YOU WERE NOT, THEN YOUR AMYGDALA (PART OF THE BRAIN THAT MIMIICKS YOUR ANATOMICAL 'SOUL') WOULD NOT BE WORKING CORRECTLY.

Lisa,

Try to find out the brand name.

Lisa again,

The newer dual serotonin and Norepinephrine antidepressants are generally better for rosacea sufferers.

Thank-you. I'm going to ask the doctor about them.

Dr Nase

Could you please give me some advice on getting a prescription for Clonazepam?

It seems that every GP in the UK closes up the second i mention benzo's. The ones who are actually prepared to hear me out still wont prescribe me because of the addictive side effects.

I can see their point to an extent:

Since my IPL I look pretty normal most of the time. Im young and fairly 'fresh faced' most of the time. So when I walk into the surgery I think they get this impression Im 'just some kind with a blushing problem'. The one Dr i saw who was up for working with me said he couldnt justify prescribing anything more than a beta blocker.

Im really at a loss. I would love to try this drug cuz I feel I need that, as you say, magic bullet of safety. I may appear young and naive, but I know Im responsible enough to use such a med safely and effectively. I cant help but feel that Im gonna have to wait until Im 40 with a tomato for a head before anyone is going to take me seriously! I feel like screaming "Dude Iv had half my face scorched with lasers, the other half pickled with botox... Im seriously about this!".

btw, I took your book in and a few quotes. The Dr congratulated me on bringing a good case to the table... but still no script.