Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using ice post ipl treatment - bad?

Default using ice post ipl treatment - bad?

we all know that ice reduces swelling. but if you put ice (even if you have a barrier between your skin and the ice) on normal skin, the skin will become red. with that in mind, people in these forums and elsewhere tell us to try not to flush/blush, turn red, etc... post ipl in order to prevent angiogensis. so although ice may be effective at reducing the swelling from an ipl treatment, does its application to the face somehow hinder some of the positive results that can be optimally acheived from the ipl because it causes the skin to become red (which i assume is an indication of some trauma to the skin)?

Ice thins the epidermis - that's a no go!

Hey there,

Yes, fut is right that you should never use ice directly on the face.

A better idea and one that Dr Nase advocates is to buy yourself a Nutragel Mask. These are supposed to be particularly soothing, effective and gentle.

They can be bought over the internet and I wish I could direct you to an exact website but no luck from my end. I'm sure others who are using them will be better able to direct you.

Mermaid

You can find the gel masks at natragel.com. I ordered some a week ago before my IPL treatment and they are great! Very soothing on the skin. I store it in my refrigerator so it is very cool when I need to use it.

Teresa

Hi,

I've been using these gelmasks as well since januari this year and a bad IPL treatment. I really got addicted to them, NOT in a funny way. I put them in the fridge or the freezer and do put a lot of tissues or some coton over it before putting it on my face: it cools the skin and calms the redness a bit. But: it is ok just after IPL, but I continued it for months and months. I saw a dermatologist last week and I am really forbidden to use it anymore on my cheeks.I thought I protected my skin enough with the tissues etc around the coolpacks, but according to the whole team who came looking (lol, 5 faces staring at your skin while you lay down, like a moviescene) my skin definitely has suffered coldburns from it. That explained all the thick, hard flakes. He said that all temperatures under 20 degrees Celsius are too cold and will freeze the skin. So, now I have to do with the plain old vantilator again or put the mask in my neck.
    He said that you can use the coolingmasks just after IPL though, but not for prologed periods of time.
    Just want to share this with you. Dr. Nase has warned for this as well by the way. (But I thought my precaution triks worked, stupid, stupid).

best wishes, natalja

Thank you Natalja,

That is an excellent warning! I only used it for ten minutes after my treatment and then a couple more times in the days immediately following. It did feel a little too cold to my skin, so I warmed it up with my hands before putting it on my face. Another thing that really helped me, but did not cost anything was a cool moist washcloth. I will add your warning in my other posts about the masks.

I am so sorry you had to endure the coldburns - that sounds like a terrible experience. Thank you so much for sharing your story, that was generous and very helpful.

Teresa

You're welcome Teresa.
    It wasn't a severe skinburn or something, but very irritated and flaked skin, of which I'm still recovering (hopefully).
    Best wishes, Natalja

One thing I have used post IPL or after a really bad flush is the cold paks you can put in the freezer, wrapped several times with a very soft piece of cloth until it is just cool. As the cold pak warms up, you can remove a layer of cloth. This keeps it cool, not cold and feels very good on the skin. So far I haven't encountered any real problems with this method. I have also found I can put a bottle of frozen water in one of the "fridge pack" type lunch kits you can but, with the cold pack and cloth. It keeps the cold pak pretty cold, then I can wrap it to the correct temperature.
    Diane
    Vancouver Island, BC

I use icepacks covered all the time.
    I did not realize that this made things worse
    is there literature on this?

sometimes it is the only way to stop the flushing and pain...

thanks

Default What ingredients are in these natragel masks?

thanks