Thread: Watermelon & Nitric Oxide relation ??

Default Watermelon & Nitric Oxide relation ??

After reading this my thoughts would be that Watermelon could be bad for rosaceans due to the NO that is produced ??
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------In the urea cycle, citrulline combines with another acid to create arginine. Also found within the watermelon's sweet and watery interior, citrulline is a "nonessential" amino acid, meaning it need not be ingested because the body produces it. Amino acids, the body's "building blocks," are produced when digestion breaks down protein.

Arginine boosts nitric oxide, which relaxes blood vessels and thus may help treat angina and other cardiovascular problems. This intrigues scientists studying blood circulation problems associated with sickle-cell anemia. Arginine has also been credited with boosting muscle growth, improving wound healing, combating fatigue, stimulating the immune system, curing impotence and fighting cancer.

Disorders in the urea cycle can lead to a lethal buildup of proteins such as ammonia in the bloodstream. Arginine or citrulline are often recommended to address these disorders.

Rimando says the discovery came early during a study, involving her and Perkins-Veazie's labs, that was aimed at determining the citrulline content of different watermelon varieties.

ARS is the chief scientific research agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    *A Coward Dies A Thousand Deaths..................
    .............A Soldier Dies But One*

Just a little note: Yes, arginin boost nitric oxide, nitric oxide boost blood flow. Too bad blood flow got zip to do with muscle growth. It's a myth that arginin and NO boosters will boost muscle growth.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreRed!
    Just a little note: Yes, arginin boost nitric oxide, nitric oxide boost blood flow. Too bad blood flow got zip to do with muscle growth. It's a myth that arginin and NO boosters will boost muscle growth.
    Actually when pertaining to weight training NO will dilate your blood vessels, giving you a perpetual pump. Nitric Oxide suppplements are all the craze right now, I tried them before I read Dr. Nases book and realized they were no good for our condition. They by no means give you the gains that they claim, but they have a nice effect when resistance training
    *A Coward Dies A Thousand Deaths..................
    .............A Soldier Dies But One*

What other foods are known to make you flush? I love yogurt and eat it often. I think it may be making me flush, but it is hard to tell for sure because I flush so often anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by irishgenes
    What other foods are known to make you flush? I love yogurt and eat it often. I think it may be making me flush, but it is hard to tell for sure because I flush so often anyway.
    Yogurt also make me flush. Maybe because of the bitter taste.

I noticed that when I ingest anything with arginine, I quickly develop perioral dermatitis and/or cold sores. My naturopath told me that it is sometimes a precursor to cold sores - is this the NO effect?

Teresa

Here are some food triggers that I've read about - anything spicy, caffeine, chocolate, nuts, cheese, colas, iodized salt, seafood, alcoholic beverages, hot beverages and soups (just let cool down before consuming), YOGURT, citrus fruit, liver, vanilla, vinegar, eggplant, avocado, spinach, niacin or histamine laden foods. I've also found that refined sugar causes me to break out. Not all of these may be triggers for everyone, but they're possibilities.