Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil control

Default Oil control

The only one I have tried yet is the Dermalogica Oil Control lotion, but it's a bit tough for my skin. (Cointains Alcohol) Does anyone know of a good oil control lotion which is suited for VERY oily Rosacea skin?

Thanks.

G24

I can recommend on cutting down on any high GI carbs. They make yr body pump out higher levels of the hormone testosterone and in turn that increases yr oil production.

That's a good idea, but it will not be enough.. My skin is VERY oily. :(

This may sound counterproductive, but I have found that the fewer oil control products I use, the less oily my skin is. There seems to be something in them that triggers a reaction in my skin. I use Phisoderm soap on my face, an oil free moisturizer for sensitive skin, and Loreal Feel Naturale foundation. If I watch other triggers (heat, cold, food, etc.), I don't have too much trouble.

Default oil control

I would say that a low dose accutane regimen like 2.5 mg or 5 mg or 10 mg, depending on what size is available, 3 times a week. This is effective.
    I tried it for 6 months, 10 mg 3 times pr week, I think 5 mg would have been enough, but 10 mg is the smallest dosage the pills come in here. However, I was not too fond of the side effect, and I am into sport a lot, so that was not an advantage. I do think if the dosage can be as low as 2.5 mg, then the side effects might not be such a problem.
    Here is a link to a study that was done with low dose isotretinoin ( search for seborrhea, isotretinoin)
    http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/action/doSearch

If you don`t like the thought of taking this drug, I would say that the Tease Zone Oil Control Gel from www.dermadoctor.com will hide the oil well, and maybe over time oil production will decrease.
    Dermadoctor also has a product called Calm, Cool and Corrected 2n1 Rosacea Tx.

http://www.dermadoctor.com/product.asp?productid=821

It gets very good reviews from people with acne, rosacea and seborrhea.
    I have just ordered it. It contains the same technology as the Tease Zone Gel in addition to anti-inflammatory and acne-fighting compounds.

Here is what Dermadoctor says about Seborrhea:

http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/con...5A99D1E831B%7D

Some people have also had success with taking the herb Boswellia. It has anti-inflammatory properites, and is supposed to help reduce sebum output, too.

Here is a link
    http://www.rosacea.co.uk/blog/2005/0...nd-5-lipo.html

Best wishes,
    Mads,
    Norway

Thank you for the replies. (Hyggelig med flere nordmenn) :) )

I will never in my life touch Accutane again, as this drug have caused me enough problems. (Like Rosacea).
    I will look into the products you have linked to Buster.

Thanks,

G24

Quote Originally Posted by Sally_ann
    I can recommend on cutting down on any high GI carbs. They make yr body pump out higher levels of the hormone testosterone and in turn that increases yr oil production.
    Are you talking about insulin? I can't imagine how high GI/II carbs increases testosterone.

I would also recommend Accutane in small doses, though, I think it should be taken every day. I think the half life is about 24 hours, so it would be smart to divide the doses and take them every day.

Another Norwegian dude 8) Hallois, gutta! 8)

EDIT: D'oh, didn't read the last reply before posting.

I think that 3 times a week would be enough, as the effect of the pills will last over into the second day. If the half life of Accutane was the only concern, then there would not be a lasting effect of Accutane, as seen in people who go off it, and the effect remain for 6 months or more.
    But, if 2.5 mg-pills can be obtained, then maybe once every day would be ok, but 10 mg every dai I would say is over kill, and would only give unnessesary side effects.

Maybe high carb intake increase the production of di-hydrotestosterone?

Hey G24,

When my skin was much oilier, I had a lot of success using blotting papers and tissues which you press gently against the skin and consequently absorbs all excess oil. Press very lightly. You can use them as often as you need and are very effective.

Some of the best ones are:

Clean and Clear blotting film. I shall give you the ingredients in case you are sensitive to any of the them. I found these to be extremely effective and my skin is super sensitive but they did a fantastic job.

The ingredients for the Clean and Clear are:
    Propylene, Mineral Oil, 3,4-Dimethylbenzyl-idene Sorbitol, Zinc Stearate, Ultramarines Propylene, benzyl Sorbitol, and Stearate.

I can not tell you if the ingredients have changed at all since I haven't used them for a while as my skin is quite normal now.

You can also order a plain, unpowdered paper from Japonesque. The direct link is:

http://www.naimies.com/shopping/Prod...3&ca=517&cas=0

For those in the US, I remember reading that Ultra 3 sells a brand called Palladio, with rice powder or just plain ones. Sephora could be another place to try.

Other forum members also purchase generic brands from Walgreens. I live in Australia so I'm not sure what brands they come under but I believe that they may not be as gentle as the texture of the paper is rougher.

Another company you can try is Cory Cosmetics. They are called Powder Free Oil Control Facial Blotters. They are made from recycled wood pulp, real hemp and flaxseeds. They are 100% powder free and wont clog pores. They also claim to be super gentle and can be used on the eye area. They sell for $4.99 for 150 sheets and are available at www.corycosmetics.com

I hope this helps a little.

Mermaid

Quote Originally Posted by Buster
    I think that 3 times a week would be enough, as the effect of the pills will last over into the second day. If the half life of Accutane was the only concern, then there would not be a lasting effect of Accutane, as seen in people who go off it, and the effect remain for 6 months or more.
    But, if 2.5 mg-pills can be obtained, then maybe once every day would be ok, but 10 mg every dai I would say is over kill, and would only give unnessesary side effects.

Maybe high carb intake increase the production of di-hydrotestosterone?
    It may be induvidual, but it's pretty usual to use 10 mg/day. Anyway, it's always best to have even plasma concentrations of the drug, IMO. If one just uses it for oil control, and it works with three times a week, it should be no problem. But if one uses it to cure rosacea, even plasma concentrations of the drugs would be a great benefit.