Thread: Cosmetic intolerance - what to do about it?

Default Cosmetic intolerance - what to do about it?

Marc,

How long have you been on accutane?

What I read here a few days ago from Dr Nase, and I am not quoting but interpreting, is that accutane normalizes the follicles through which oil travels. As it does this, it drives upwards and out the follicle clogging sebum that's in there.

I believe (after decades of learning by experience) that the gunk coming out of the follicles is toxic and irritating to the skin. Until the really evil stuff is out and off of your skin, your skin will be extra, extra sensitive. Making this worse is the dryness side-effect. Then it will take time to heal.

I believe you can either stick with it as you are now till you finish your accutane, or get an Rx for a smaller daily dose and go through the process slower.

Keep seeing your doctor so she or he knows exactly what's going on with you.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

You may look into getting some humidifiers for your apartment/sleeping room. I also can't put anything on my face yet. I don't have your problem of my own skin's substances irritating things, but humidifiers really help. I have a couple of large humidifiers that I keep in my bedroom. Also, I got a cheap thermometer/hygrometer from Ace so I can keep track of the humidity level. It seems that anything above 60 for humidity makes my skin quite comfortable. You may try rinsing with purified water instead of cleanser.
    I went through several months where cosmetic intolerance was just compounding from the Toleraine products I was using. It made my face just ungodly intolerant of anything--heat, movement, late afternoon, etc. Something to try, I guess.

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Default Re: Cosmetic intolerance - what to do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by marc
    Hello group
    I have cosmetic intolerance, I don't tolerate any moisturizer in particular.

i guess there's a good cleanser and/or moisturizer that we can use for all of us. problem might be it hasn't been compounded yet:)

i'm not sure if you've already thought about that, but maybe that could work out. talk about this with a pharmacist (the ones working in a drug store). they are often really helpfull (and more understanding than most docs).

they have a lot of different compontents (e.g. those they use as basis for manually compounded creams). maybe you could try some of them, apply them to a small part of your face as long as you need to say if they are irritating or not.

i'm pretty sure you'll find some you can tolerate. maybe that way a personalized cream can be compounded.

might take some time, but maybe it's worth it.

i'm planning to go this way sometime, cause i've get bad reaction to almost all topicals.

what i can use is emu-oil - just one or two drops on wet hands for whole face. but that is maybe not what you're looking for?

Hallo Mark ,
    I had the same problems you mentioned. Now I use the' Lait netoyante tolérance extrème ' from Avène to clean my skin an in the same range the Crème tolérance extrème as a moisturer.They both come in minidoses you can use one tube for 3 days .
    Avène also has another product for cleaning that works wonders for me the Lotion pour peau intolérante it does not irritate at all and you dont need to rince it off with water.It feels great when I put it on and most important when I take it off with a tissue my face still feels o.k.
    It are the only products so far I can tolerate and I have been using the lotion already for quite a time even after ipl .
    Dont knowif it will work for you but if you want I can always try to send you a sample(hope this is the corect word )
    Patrice

Hey Marc,

Cosmetic intolerance is a tricky one to tackle. When I first developed rosacea, I was unable to use anything on my face except spring water.

I'm not sure if you are still on the Accutane or close to finishing it but if you are not on Accutane, I would definitely try to tackle it from the inside with a Macrolide antibiotic such as Clarithromycin.

As for cleansing, I believe it is still important but it is a matter of finding a cleanser that suits you. That's the tricky part I know. When you have found something, Dr Nase recommends diluting it before use. Dr Nase has said with regards to cosmetic intolerance, 'Stopping the cleansing routine may allow for barrier repair, but well before the barrier is repaired, you have now allowed for other skin disorders to set in, especially in rosacea skin'.

Also I have found a compounding pharmacy who makes me a batch of 2% licorice root extract in a base of Carbomer. For me it has been brilliant for soothing inflammation.

Mermaid

Mermaid,

Are there any other inactive ingredients in your
    licorice prepartion? And was this something you
    were able to achieve without a prescription?

Glad it's continuing to work for you!

Beth

if your skin is getting too dry from the accutane, try taking your 10mg tablet once every second day instead of every day.
    To strive, to seek, to find
    And not to yield!

Hey there Beth,

No it's just 2% licorice extract and Carbomer. The pharmacist told me that it is a laborious task to extract the active part of the licorice root, hence it is pretty expensive. Costs $100 aussie dollars for 100ml.

No you do not need a prescription. It really is fantastic as an anti inflammatory.

Let me know how you go.

Mermaid