Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raynaud's People

Default Raynaud's People

I think a decent amount of us have either seb derm, raynaud's, or both, in conjunction with the rosacea.
    I have Raynaud's. I was wondering if anyone had heard any therapies that can be used for the Raynaud's that doesn't aggravate the rosacea (e.g., well, let's stay away from calcium channel blockers ;) ).
    I was wondering what laser might do for the vasculature of my hands, but, I have no idea about this and it was really just a thought with no backing.
    Post ideas if you've got them. I'd love to hear any ideas people have as the two conditions are kind of hard to control at the same time.

David

I have possible raynaud's. I'd describe it as atypical. I've often wondered what Dr Nase might have to say about this condition considering his area of expertise.

Default Raynaud's

I am not sure what Raynaud's is. I have noticed in the last few months that if I stick my hand into the freezer at the grocery store for just a few seconds, some of my fingers will blanch and go numb. It takes several minutes to warm them back up. Sometimes I will have to go out to the car and put them on the hot dashboard to get them pink again. It isn't painful. Is this Raynaud's?

Might be, yes. Sounds like it. I guess you'd have to be seen by a doctor to know. I just know that my nose and hands gets purpley when even slightly cold and can go white at the finger tips and get numb. Running them under warm water usually causes my hands to go to a bright red as the blood flows back in.

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Hi David,

I have Raynaud's too. Maybe this link will be useful to you:

http://www.anyvitamins.com/treatment...ds-disease.htm

Interesting anyway.

Personally, I just try not to get too cold which I guess isn't too difficult here in California. I do know that when trying to "thaw out" the numbness that you shouldn't use hot water because you might burn yourself because you don't necessarily feel the temperature of the water. Also, I have heard that if your hands do turn white to do slow circular motions with your arms to improve the blood flow. Unfortunately, I just haven't been able to bring myself to do that in the freezer section of Pavilion's. I'm sure it would make me blush!!!!

Elizabeth

Hi David
    I have Raynauds too. I went to a rheumatologist previously and he kept trying to put me on meds. for the Raynauds and I kept insisting that I would not take anything that would make my rosacea worse. Vasodilators are out, calcium channel blockers are out, and even topical nitroglycerin (I think that is what it is called) are out. So, he came up empty handed because he could not find a single med. that would not make rosacea/flushing worse.

The other thing is that I have had ETS and that took care of the Raynauds symptoms in my hands, but not for my feet. (For some reason it can't help the feet but I don't remember the biological reason why). Apparently some people actually have ETS solely to treat Raynauds. Now I am definitely NOT advocating ETS for anybody, but it was interesting how the minute I woke up from surgery, my hands were warm and they still are, over 6 months later. Prior to surgery, my hands were cold all the time and even looked "dehydrated" because there wasn't enough blood flow to plump up the tissues.

By the way, I discussed Raynauds with my primary care doc. too and she said she doesn't believe in meds. for it and the best remedy is just to keep your extremities warm. I think the only time you really need to worry with Raynauds is if you start getting ulcers on your extremities that won't heal or you start getting gangrene. I did see one patient with Raynauds who was in bad shape like that at my workplace, but she had Raynauds and Lupus so hers was more serious. Poor woman could hardly walk, it was so bad. Her feet were completely numb. She did not have rosacea, though.
    Cactus

As long as you do not have any auto-immune diseases associated with Raynaud's (Lupus, scleroderma etc.) it is "just you".

I like to think that exercise helps my circulation which in turn helps Raynaud's so I exercise moderately every day for 30-60 minutes.

Elizabeth

I have it, too.

I read once about a biofeedback treatment, where you are supposed to dress lightly, and go from a very warm room, to a very cold room. Once in the cold room, you put your hands into a bucket of warm water. This process is to be done repeatedly, with the idea that it "trains" your system not to constrict the blood vessels in your extremities when you experience cold.

It makes sense, but it seems like a bit of an endeavor.

Yeah. As I can close my eyes and exhale and take away some superficial redness, I can also "think" a pulse of blood into my hands. The problem is that I always have to stay cool for the rosacea (at least, as of now, hoping to change that ;) ) and to get warm for the Raynaud's is just impossible.

So, there are no topicals that can help us? I might experiment with topical Nioxin on my hands. Hmmm.... Any ideas anyone? My rosacea is far worse than my Raynaud's. But it's a little strange at times when I'm out in public and my hands are purple and my forearms are Norwegian white. :O

Like when I was teaching in Korea and one of my younger students managed (much to her credit, actually), "Teacher. Face, red. Hands, red."

Anyway. I'd be open to hearing topical suggestions. Also, is laser appropriate for Raynaud's?

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Sorry to barge in, but is it possible to have 'degrees' or Raynauds?

Id say my hads get cold much easier than the average person. Also, as a pianist I have to spend time warming my fingers up before playing (the muscles i mean, with exercises). Yet, I dont suffer any pain, and when its warm my hands are fine.

Id say I may be leaning towards Raynaud's type symptoms. Also have very mild KP.