Thread: IPL doctor in Australia

Default IPL doctor in Australia

Hi everyone,

I am writing this for the benefit of all you Aussies out there looking for a really fantastic doctor. His name is Dr Joseph Georghy and resides in Sydney. His address is 313 Pacific Highway, North Sydney. His phone number is (02)99567200 or visit his website at www.photolaser-aus.com

Hopefully this will give those in Australia a larger database of practitioners to choose from.

Dr Georghy custom 'designs' which protocol to use depending on the symptoms presented.

I was told by every doctor I saw that nothing could be done because my case was just too severe. In my mind's eye I would see them recoil in horror, which they often did.

Many of the regulars on the forum will know my heartbreaking story. My heart goes out to Natalja too because I vividly remember that I was there once, everything going wrong, frustrated and scared. In hind sight I realised that they probably didn't know a thing about rosacea. For Natalja - Don't ever give up you beautiful woman. We are here to offer some solutions for you, and you will get better Natalja.

Now, all of you must remember, that these are specific filters, joules etc which have worked for me. For a while it was trial and error but I can't believe how wonderful my skin looks. I have a problem with neuropathic pain still which I am working on but I really can't remember my skin looking this good, even in my 20s.

This is Dr Georghy's protocol using the Vasculight Plus (IPL and Yag) machine.

Dr Georghy uses IPL, Low Level Continuous Light Therapy, Low Level Laser Therapy and the Yag 1064. He uses these in accordance to the patient's symptoms.

In my case Dr Georghy uses IPL and Low Level Continuous Light Therapy.

I personally make sure I get an almighty flush first but to start Dr Georghy first places me under a Low Level Continuous Light (frequency 44-2000nm. This heats my skin and I get an even deeper flush.

Dr Georghy begins with the deepest filter so as to not warm the surface of the skin.

I have just returned from my IPL and will share his settings used on me today.

Filters:
    755-Two Passes
    695-Two Passes
    615-Two Passes
    590-Two Passes

In total he does 8-10 passes. Joules used varies but today he used 40J which I was quite fine about.

Firstly he puts me under the Low Level Continuous Light Therapy Lamp for 20 minutes every 2 passes to ensure my skin remains flushed. Dr Georghy believes that this Continuous light enables the energy to penetrate very deep and will produce the desired biological effects. He believes that the tissue keeps the heat and the heat itself is a cardinal therapeutic component.

All I know is that this brilliant man has given me my life back. I don't know how much credence his theories hold but he is amazing. He has treated about 3000 patients. If you would like to see before and after shots, just email me. I hope the USA gang haven't fallen asleep yet.

Just thought I'd give people in Australia another wonderful review. Two thumbs up!

Mermaid, not tuna.

Ps Just to clarify, I receive no discount ever when it comes to paying for my treatment. I pay full price like everyone. Good luck.

hi mermaid,
    thankyou for your wonderfully detailed post!
    i live in sydney and am currently looking for a good ipl doctor, as at the moment ive almost finished treatments with a different doctor and havn't got the results i was after.
    im in my early twenties and over the past few years rosacea has really started to have quite a negative impact on my life and personality. i know its not our fault but sometimes its just so damn depressing.

Il share my ipl experience so far to help other aussies too.

My current doctor is Dr M. F. Lai, Suite 3 Level 8, 187 Macquarie St Sydney (02 92229333). as has been mentioned before his approach does differ from what is now considered the best way to go. ive had 5 treatments and havn't really got much of a result so far. He uses somekind of photoderm machine but not sure exactly which one (probably should do better research).
    He seems to use 2 filters - the 590 and 615 with one pass for each per treatment. He doesnt induce a pre treatment flush (but doesnt care if you do) so its been up to me to try to down a couple of hot hot coffees before he starts. on me he has used 38-43 Joules. Plus im not sure if this matters but he doesnt make contact with the laser head on the skin. he says he gets better results this way but maybe someone could say if this is a good idea or not.

charges about $660(Aus) per tx, which is probably the norm. being a poorly uni student this is killing me but i realize its about normal. why does that Nase character choose the most expensive treatments (ipl, grape seed, ester c)? (lol).

i stress that this is only my personal experience with this doctor, and others should see for themselves, as he has supposedly had some wonderful results and has the photos to prove it.

just thought id try to add to the aussie treatment database to help others as i know our treatment options in this country are somewhat limited.
    looking at your post i like the sound of dr georghy, and his treatments sound very thorough.

thanks again for the wonderfully helpful post.

glad to see your happy.

Hi Jimmy,

I too did 6 tx with Dr Lai. I don't want to bad mouth him at all because he's a lovely guy and I think he really means well but I was also disappointed with the results though I think it did help some. By the way he uses a fairly old photoderm machine and as I've since found out it's too limited for what I need (I have lots of big, deep veins it could not reach). I have done a lot of shopping around and I've decided to give Dr Antony Prochazka at Laser Aesthetics in Bondi Junction a go. So far he and his treatment sounds great (he uses a Genesis, which Dr Nase says gets great results for rosacea) so I'm quite excited to start treatments with him next month. Watch this space as I'll certainly be giving updates as I go along for the benefit of any other Antipodeans seeking tx. Re: money though and Dr Lai's charges -- while I know of other Dr's who charge up around that same figure or higher I think this is actually at the high end of the scale from what I can tell.

I recently started with Dr Georghy on the basis of Mermaid's recommendation and have now had four treatments. Previously I had been to a local beautician who used to leave bruising for days at a time and had little interest/knowledge of rosacea.

I have found Dr Georghy very informed and he spends lots of time using continuous light therapy and multiple passes, different filters etc. So far I am pleased with my results.

I would certainly recommend him for those looking for an alternative.

Do these doctors also use the v-beam?
    Currently I am seeing Dr Richards at Westmead, Im undergoing v-beam treatment there in August and I will post results. I dont have rosacea but a similar condition (see my other post).

Thanks for posting these doctors up, I will definitely be contacting them if I dont get results this time.

Default Anyone know a good derm in melbourne?

I want to look into IPL but so far the only two derms that i know do IPL also have such awful reputations that my GP would have kittens if i went anywhere near them.
    I have a referal to a derm with a good reputation but when i rang and asked he doesn't do IPL or any other 'cosmetic' treatment. Not sure if i should go to him or not...won't be happy if he just tells me to use rosex or to live with it.
    My problem is flushing, often it is one sided and it is really getting in the way of my work because i have to do a lot of public speaking and get nervous enough already without flushing.
    It's bad enough that i would consider traveling to another state to get treatment..or else risking a beautican.

I can't help with recommendations for IPL doctors in Australia but I was going to get a Pulsed Dye Laser treatment done a little while ago but I chickened out! I'm just too scared to put laser to my face because I don't know if it will work or make things worse? I also worry about the long term effects. Anyway, I just wanted to say that the Derm I saw works out of the main hospital in the city (Perth) and said the treatments would be covered under Medicare.

I know PDL is an older style of laser treatment but I just wondered if a Derm was found who worked out of a public hospital and performed IPL, then perhaps it would also be covered under Medicare?

Not sure if this helps but if anyone is doing the research on which doctor to use, this might be worth adding into your list of things to look for.

Jen
    Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

Thanks for the information. It's great to get some information of who people recommend.

Pulse dye laser does look like a big step, so i can really understand your not being sure.

I recently had laser treatment of some capillaries in my face and it took much longer to heal than it should of. Three weeks ago on I still have some tiny scabs. The doctor said that it was incredibly unusual for anyone to get scabs and no one he treated had ever still had marks even two weeks after treatment, he had used a very low setting too. He said that I must be extremely sensative to lasers. As well as my cheeks he did two little capillaries on my nose, near the nostrils and these not only disappeared instantly but never scabbed or felt sore. Maybe because i don't get rosacea on or around my nose.

On the plus side my visable capillaries are all gone, although with the rate i am flushing i'll proably have new ones soon LOL.

Despite my slow healing the doctor was very good so if anyone is looking for a doctor to treat broken capillaries in Melbourne I would recommend him. His details are:
    David McDonald, Collins Place Melbourne ph 03 9654 5720. He is a doctor rather than a dermatoligist so no referal is needed.