Thread: Ketoconazole 2%

Default Ketoconazole 2%

Hi,

Has anyone tried to use oral ketoconazole 2% to control their SD. I would like to know experiences of people on this medication as I am currently taking it. I am takin it at 200mg for 28days as suggested in Dr.Nase's book.

Someone from the acvwm group emailed me to tell me that it was dangerous. Does anyone also know anything about that group.

I must say though that after 5 days....its seems that with the oral ketoconale, some of the redness of my face is dimishing, but my skin is extremely dry and flaky (it was never flaky before)

Any comments or advise?

Default oral & topical meds for seb derm

Hi Jean,

I tried ketoconzole both topically and orally a few years ago but neither did anything for my facial seb derm. However, I only took the oral version for 10 days because that is all my dermatologist was willing to write for a precription. He was concerned about hepatoxicity ( liver toxicity). I used the 2% cream for several weeks but it also did nothing to improve my condition.

I later tried another oral med called "sporanox' which my primary care doctor begrudgingly wrote a prescription for but which my insurance wouldn't cover at all. I recall it was hugely expensive but I was hopefull that it would be the "one" that would work, but unfortunately I noticed no improvement. Supposedly, this one was also bad for the liver. I stopped taking it after a few weeks because it seemed to make my arrhythmia (irregular heartbeats) slower and more erratic than normal.

I also have ocular rosacea and tried Doxycycline at several different times but it caused yeast infections and only seemed to kick in by the second month after using it. It seemed to control facial oil somewhat and kept my flakes "drier" ( easier to remove) and less "moist/sticky" feeling ( harder to remove). I didn't have the inflamed and angry facial seb derm while on it but it had no effect on my eyes at all. I've had much better success using the omega oils---evening primrose, borage,& flaxseed and using a homeopathic eye drop by a Swiss company called Similasan ---Dry Eyes, Red Eyes-- Eye dops #1.

Hope the ketoconazole works for you. I, like many, have tried most all the topicals ( metros, finacea, elidel etc.) out there----but have found that BALMEX ( yes, the stuff for baby butts) works the best at getting rid of both the flakes and drying up the tiny white bumps. Of course, hydrocortisone always works wonderfully----- but I've weaned myself off it after discovering it was hurting my skin in the long run.

Murasaki

Hi Murasaki,

Thanks for your reply. I do hope that oral ketoconozole works for me, though it seems to be making my skin worst after 6 days on it. I hope it gets better. One thing im worried though is how do you know when it starts affecting your liver. My gp is not making me do tests or anything to check the liver.....i just showed him Dr.Nase's book and he gave me the pills. Now ill im reading on the net is warnings about liver problems so im really worried.

Hi Jean,

Make sure you have your GP order liver function tests which measure the level of liver enzymes in the blood. Ideally, it should be done before starting on Ketoconazole and monitored for the duration of the treatment. I had mine done after the treatment and all was fine.

Murasaki

Hi Jean,

Make sure you have your GP order liver function tests which measure the level of liver enzymes in the blood. Ideally, it should be done before starting on Ketoconazole and monitored for the duration of the treatment. I had mine done after the treatment and all was fine.

Murasaki