Thread: Could Accutane affect the voice box?

Default Could Accutane affect the voice box?

Dr Nase says there is a slight chance long term use of Accutane may cause calcification of some bones/tendons. But I am wondering about the voice.

After 9 months on Accutane I have no worrying side effects apart from dry skin and hair. But my voice has gone decidedly squeaky, especially if I try to talk loudly. Some (my husband) may say this is a good thing but it has become very annoying. My voice keeps 'breaking' like an adolescent boy's.

Is there a possibility this may be caused by Accutane? I guess there's some mechanism in there that needs kept 'oiled'.

My doctor just says I should keep out of smokey bars... harrumph... What does she know?

Sally, UK

Hi Sally,

That would make sense -- accutane drying out your larynx. Are your lips dry as well as your skin? I had accutane many years ago -- when it first came out, in fact. But I didn't take it for as long as you have been. At that time it was a heavy dose for three months (40 mg 2x per day, I seem to recall).

I remember dry lips, dry eyes, aching bones... certainly it could affect your larynx. At least that's my humble opinion.

Ghost

This user has been banned from this forum

Marc,

What type of spider do you think caused this? Do you think the spider now has rosacea?

Hello spider lovers

Saw my derm today and he said the Roaccutane may well be affecting my vocal chords.

Ohmigosh, everything's drying up. I'm turning into a wrinkled old prune and sounding like Mickey Mouse. Hurry up 0.5mg capsules - you may be my only hope!!

Sally

So what dose are you on? Can you not split the pill or take one every other day?

I believe splitting the pill will not work. Dr. Nase pointed this out long time ago on the RS boards. Or am I wrong?

I'm not even sure what form it comes in; a solid tablet or capsule with powder.

Today my derm said I could reduce my dosage from 20mgs to 10mgs a day and see what happens. I once tried cutting a capsule in half but it's very gooey.

Thanks for your help.

Sally

Just read the excellent post from RedHotCanuck (everything you need to know) about Accutane.

I notice that under 'side effects' it lists: Respiratory - Voice alteration.

Guess that answers my query. I'm almost relieved. Couldn't understand why my voice was changing so much.

BTW I went to get my prescription today and was told that in Europe Isotretinoin is dispensed as Roaccutane which comes in 20mg or 5mg capsules.

Fantastic, now I can wean myself down to this lower 5mg dose and try to get my voice back to normal. Pity it isn't available in the US. But I expect it's obtainable on the internet.

Failing that, visit sunny Brighton.

Sally